What movie did you watch last night? (29 Viewers)

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not computer games are worth anyone's time. Except Portal 1 and 2, play Portal.

I saw the first 3 Resident Evil movies, they got progressively better. I think there's 5 or 6 now though?

The Salvation – Gothic Western starring Mads Mikkelsen as a flinty Dane up against some real bad dudes. Starts really well with a beautifully shot, moonlit stagecoach shootout but as it moved toward the final showdown my interest started to wane. Mads and Evan Green do some good work. I could watch that pair all day

1412592474.jpg

MADS FOREVER

Mistress America, there was a bit in the 4th 5th of it when it was very good, terrific farcical stuff. But the rest was only so so without exactly being bad, Greta Gerwig has something, I'd like to see her do stuff not with Baumbach
I might have liked it a bit more. I am not totally gone on Gerwig, though I like her fine.
I thought the young girl was great. I'm glad I didn't know she was the sister of the annoying one from Girls going in.

I'd say she'll be in most everything he does for a while now but there should be plenty of work elsewhere too
She doesn't seem to have a huge amount of range, but I've only seen her in like 4 things.

She's co-writing these with Baumbach now, but you're right, she'll probably get other gigs if she's smart

Muscle Shoals, a documentary about FAME studios/the Muscle Shoals band that was the place to record, in the Alabama countryside in the 60's. First record they ever did was Wilson Picket's when a man loves a woman.

Really interesting when they were talking to the people who worked and recorded there, not so much when Bono was talking shite.

Muscle Shoals, a documentary about FAME studios/the Muscle Shoals band that was the place to record, in the Alabama countryside in the 60's. First record they ever did was Wilson Picket's when a man loves a woman.

Really interesting when they were talking to the people who worked and recorded there, not so much when Bono was talking shite.
Loved that doco

Sinister-2-new-poster-Copy.jpg

Sinister 2. Enjoyable enough. A good amount of scares, good performances from the kids, Shannon Sossymon, nasty torture that avoided the SAW level of overcooking. The male lead let it down a bit. It seemed the thought he was told it was a rom-com. Also, too much exposition, too much given away and over-explained. The bogeyman Bughuul worked best as a shape in the shadows, not as a lead singer of slipknot. Finally, the whole thing resting on a piece of mid-century technology...meh.

When Candi Staton played here last year that documentary was her support act.

Bizarre idea but it kind of worked.

Arrrgh, a posting at 2:30 mistake. Percy Sledge did when a man loves a woman, just a local kid who worked as an orderly in the hospital. Picket came down later and did Mustang Sally etc,, followed by Arethra, Etta James, The Stones, Paul Simon, Tom Jones, John Prine, Skynrd, practically everyone.

I saw the reboot of National Lampoon's Vacation at the weekend. I'm fond of the originals & this reboot wasn't bad, some definite laugh out loud moments. Chevy Chase looks like he ate his former self, it crossed my mind that he may have been made up to look fat (like in those Big Mama movies) but no, it's all natural.

They Came Together. Parody of romantic comedies. This is by the same guys that did Wet Hot American Summer and most of the cast from that show up in minor roles. It’s a bit hit and miss but when it hits it’s very funny. Chris Meloni has a particularly hilarious scene which had me in stitches.

Watched Going Clear over the weekend. It was heavy enough going, watched it in two sittings. Definitely worth a watch, some of the church's own media stuff is so off the wall it is worth watching the documentary for those clips alone.

I might have liked it a bit more. I am not totally gone on Gerwig, though I like her fine.
I thought the young girl was great. I'm glad I didn't know she was the sister of the annoying one from Girls going in.
I love her I think she does a great job of softening Baumbach's yuppy, misanthrope edges. Looking forward to this although I may temper my expectations a little bit now after the above reviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back