What movie did you watch last night? (10 Viewers)

'The Master' - P.T. Anderson's new film just opened this weekend over here, with Joaquin Phoenix playing a jittery World War 2 navy vet who drifts around aimlessly after the end of the war, and Philip Seymour Hoffman as a guy styled heavily on L Ron Hubbard who runs a cult-like organisation based around his quasi-mystical self-help books. The first 90 minutes or so is powerful stuff with excellent performances all round, beautiful cinematography and convincing period detail, but the narrative structure felt flawed, the intensity seems to dissipate somewhere around the halfway mark and it kind of dribbles to an unsatisfactory close. Joaquin Phoenix and Amy Adams in particular are brilliant in it though.

What he said.

Less than the sum of its parts. Beautiful visuals, top-notch acting and strong soundtrack, all marshalled in a meandering and aimless story.

Killing Them Softly.

I agree with scutter ;

Ray Liotta was great and there was a couple of cool visuals, but overall a bit of a let down.
And, I can't deal with ultra violence anymore either.

That said, there were several nice moments.. mostly involving these two lads

brad-pitt-richard-jenkins-killing-them-softly.jpg

I day i stop loving ultra violence, you can have two midgets disembowel me my own severed hands while a honey badger tears my face off in slow motion.

I don't think you need to spoiler an opinion of a film, as long as you're not revealing major plot points. What would be the point of watching films then? Surely one of the best things about films is discussing them with people afterwards.
pete ; tell everybody to leave me alone.... :(

this thread is hard

Synecdoche, New York. One of the best films of the 00s for me. Beautiful.

I will get around to this in the near future. Keep trying to psych myself up for it and ending up going for something else even though I know I'll probably love it.

Last night attempted to watch Like Crazy but the couple were so wretch-inducing I turned it off after about 15mins. May give it another chance at some stage. It got some great reviews and won the top prize at Sundance but seemed far too twee and cloying for my liking.
like-crazy-movie.jpg

It's bollox.
Bernie Lomax ;

RE Synecdoche

I didn't get it at the time - thought it was utterly depressing, and lacking the romanticism of say Eternal Sunshine. But I saw this clip the other day, and it kind of hit home, while being hilarious at the same time. Must give the whole thing a go again

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looper. Really liked it.

Joseph Gordon Levitt's Bruce Willis is uncanny.

Looking forward to it.

"Looper" Review: A Once In A Generation Sci-Fi Masterpiece
http://www.space.com/17812-looper-movie-review-masterpiece.html
Lucas Siegel, Newsarama Site Editor
Date: 28 September 2012 Time: 10:38 AM ET

Every once in awhile, be it in a novel, a TV show, a short story, a comic book, or a film, a piece of media comes along that, from that point on, other science fiction is judged by.

It happened when Asimov hit the scene, it happened both in the stories and even in films made from writers like Philip K. Dick and Ray Bradbury, and prominent television in recent years pushed science fiction back into the consciousness of the general public, with Lost, Doctor Who, and Battlestar Galactica making scifi something talked about once more at the water cooler or the dinner table.

"Looper" is that piece of media, and it may be the most unique and moving science fiction story of this generation.

Moonrise Kingdom - Pretty good. Looking very nice. Yeah, it was a bit twee but I expected that. Ed Norton was great in it. best thing he's done in years.

Men In Black 3 - Not terrible. A good no brainer. Inspired casting with Josh Brolin as the young Tommy Lee Jones.

Oliver Twist - Polanski's version. Just the right amount of grottiness. Ben Kingsley and Mark Strong are great in this. The child actors are ok. The kid who plays Oliver doesn't have very much about him though.

So, about Looper.....

Why didn't Levitt just shoot his own hand off to stop Willis toting the gun (instead of killing himself)?
Also if the point of having something as convoluted as a looper was to avoid the mess of killing someone in the future, how come Willis' captors were packing pistols, and didn't think twice about pulling the trigger that inadvertently killed his wife?
Just nitpicking I guess. But that said....and despite where it sagged just a little in the middle....

I thoroughly enjoyed this film

So, about Looper.....

Why didn't Levitt just shoot his own hand off to stop Willis toting the gun (instead of killing himself)?

You think if Willis was so determined to save his wife in the future that he'd let a little thing like suddenly not having a hand stop him from killing the kid? It's not like all of a sudden it disappearing would cause him pain, it'd just be gone.

The bigger issue with the doing damage to yourself now reflects on you in the future thing was the sending of a message to his older self the same way that Abe sent a message to old Seth. JGL was with the hooker when all that was happening, how did he know to carve things into his arm in the same manner?

What to Expect When you Are Expecting
You know the drill by now - a handful of tenuously linked stories on a theme shat together.
Truly truly woeful

..actually Anna Kendrick (the girl from up in the air) comes through with reputation fairly unbruised
Chris Rock on the other hand............

You think if Willis was so determined to save his wife in the future that he'd let a little thing like suddenly not having a hand stop him from killing the kid? It's not like all of a sudden it disappearing would cause him pain, it'd just be gone.

The bigger issue with the doing damage to yourself now reflects on you in the future thing was the sending of a message to his older self the same way that Abe sent a message to old Seth. JGL was with the hooker when all that was happening, how did he know to carve things into his arm in the same manner?

See I thought they would play off on the whole blunderbuss versus pistol range thing that kept being mentioned. JGL could buy himslef that little bit more time to get into kill range by shooting off his own (Willis') hand. In the confusion / shock and the dropping of the gun he could get into kill range and pwn Willis in the back. Leaving him free to persue his interest with Emily Blunt and raise the kid in a manner that meant he wouldn't grow up to be JGL's future executioner. A cheesier ending, but one that would have made more sense!

Does anyone really think that JGL looks like Bruce Willis in this?

I thought the whole notion of trying to make him look like Willis was a complete waste. Visually distracting and entirely unnecessary. If people have taken the leap to believe that time travel
and telekenesis
can exist then give them the benefit of the doubt and don't cover the performance of your lead actor with latex. You could have an identifying neck tatoo or something considerably more subtle than that and the audience will go with it.

Does anyone really think that JGL looks like Bruce Willis in this?

Not the looks really, but the mannerisms, the little smirk that Willis has been doing in every film and TV show for probably 30 years that's basically his hallmark, the cadence of the voice, that sort of thing. He was basically playing the stock Bruce Willis character and doing it really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back