What movie did you watch last night? (8 Viewers)

So, about Looper.....

Why didn't Levitt just shoot his own hand off to stop Willis toting the gun (instead of killing himself)?
Also if the point of having something as convoluted as a looper was to avoid the mess of killing someone in the future, how come Willis' captors were packing pistols, and didn't think twice about pulling the trigger that inadvertently killed his wife?
Just nitpicking I guess. But that said....and despite where it sagged just a little in the middle....

I thoroughly enjoyed this film

Just seen an hour ago and once the screen went black the guy next to me asked that question.

Another thing, the whole point of loopers is that its impossible to get rid of bodies in the future. Yet they kill his wife without hesitation

Another thing, the whole point of loopers is that its impossible to get rid of bodies in the future. Yet they kill his wife without hesitation

It was a heat of the moment thing, judging by how shitty the future looks I'm pretty sure that murder still exists. The people the loopers killed were all hits.

I thought the whole notion of trying to make him look like Willis was a complete waste. Visually distracting and entirely unnecessary. If people have taken the leap to believe that time travel
and telekenesis
can exist then give them the benefit of the doubt and don't cover the performance of your lead actor with latex. You could have an identifying neck tatoo or something considerably more subtle than that and the audience will go with it.

Yup

Not the looks really, but the mannerisms, the little smirk that Willis has been doing in every film and TV show for probably 30 years that's basically his hallmark, the cadence of the voice, that sort of thing. He was basically playing the stock Bruce Willis character and doing it really well.

Fair enough, I wasn't tuned in to that part of it.

Looper. Excellent! It lived up to the hype. Truly a great SF film. The writer actually understood time travel and potential paradoxes. How did Hollywood allow it to be made without ruining it?

Looper - extraordinarily average, don't see what all the fuss is about at all. The Bruce Willis action scene was good though.
It's a film made to tick boxes, and relies heavily on existing sci-fi tropes, to the extent that they should have just made one of the stories it borrows from or something. Unfortunately, Looper's biggest problem is that everything about it is written to 'look cool' to a cinema audience. Personally, I prefer 'makes sense in some way or other.'
If Luc Besson had written it, it might have been class.

Looper - extraordinarily average, don't see what all the fuss is about at all. The Bruce Willis action scene was good though.
It's a film made to tick boxes, and relies heavily on existing sci-fi tropes, to the extent that they should have just made one of the stories it borrows from or something. Unfortunately, Looper's biggest problem is that everything about it is written to 'look cool' to a cinema audience. Personally, I prefer 'makes sense in some way or other.'
If Luc Besson had written it, it might have been class.

I thought it made sense and the time travel paradoxes worked out well.

If I had a time machine I'd go back to 1920 and organise the Black n' Tans to make a proper job of burning Cork.

Okay, if the time paradoxes made sense:

at the end of the film, he doesn't need to shoot himself, because he had that realization of how the kid's life would end up if his mother died, therefore Bruce Willis remembers that information, therefore Bruce Willis puts the gun down and apologizes.

Also,
After he falls from the fire escape from his apartment onto the car, Bruce Willis shoots the bad guy that is about to shoot him. The problem is, Bruce Willis doesn't exist, because a bad guy shot him.

I watched Seven Psychopaths last night. Very violent, pretty funny, well played by the cast - Farrell is his most likable he's been in years and Rockwell is brilliant as ever. It feels a little dated, like McDonagh's had this script lying around for years and has just decided to produce it. The plot is reminiscent of something that was released during the wave of post Pulp Fiction crime capers in the 90s. Some wickedly funny dialogue but nothing as good as the gems from In Bruges. I really hope McDonagh departs from the crime genre for his next film.
seven-psychopaths-poster-header.jpg

Good Will Hunting
2.jpg

Was on a bit of a nostalgia buzz last night. Still great script and some great scenes.

Still haven't gotten round to Control, so might catch that tonight.
control-ian-curtis-560.jpg

Kidnapped - Spanish home invasion movie. Watchable but amateurish - total rip off of Funny Games.

Attack the block. Really entertaining, great characters,funny but not so funny it becomes a comedy/ parody. 8/10

Prometheus - Even better the second time. A thrilling squirmfest.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Still one of the most disturbing film experiences you're ever likely to have. Horribly good.

subUrbia - This hasn't dated well at all. The script has its moments. Steve Zahn is very annoying in this.

Repo Man - Goddamn-dipshit-Rodriguez-gypsy-dildo-punks

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back