What movie did you watch last night? (4 Viewers)

Source Code - Decent thriller, with a simple but effective Groundhog Day type setup of repeating one sequence over and over and exploring the different possibilities each time.. Jake Gyllenhaal is good in it (I didn't recognise him, having not seen anything he's been in since Donnie Darko). It gets very sentimental during the last half hour, the ending is totally preposterous and the science fiction aspect of it has huge holes in it when you think about it, but I mostly enjoyed it anyway.
The 8-minute simulation is derived from the extracted memory or 'brain waves' of the guy whose body he inhabits, so how does it somehow contain information that would have been completely unknown to that guy, like where the bomb was or what was happening outside in the station the train stops at? Are they saying that our brainwaves contain a record of the entire state of the local universe around us at any time? I would have gone along with it more if they'd said they were somehow teleporting his consciousness into an alternate timeline.. which might also make the ending slightly more acceptable.

Oh wow, people actually DO bother doing this!!!

The tree of Life.

I counted 4 walkouts.............. and considering there was only a dozen people in the cinema!

Like all Mallik occasionally terribly beautiful, but when it wanks it wanks hard. I was reminded of Barney Gumble's entry to the Springfield film festival.
Though if you were to chop off the last 15 or so minutes you'd take out a lot of the worst of that

That there would be a noise from the sun annoyed the scientific pedant me no end

The image of the wounded plesiosaur on the beach, looking back at his own wound...wow
In fact that whole sequence was remarkable

The clouds of DDT

I general - I really don't have the patience for Malick - he makes really beautiful films which I really admire but really couldn't be bothered to sit through.
And enough with the fucking voice overs!

I hate sad mopey 21 grammes Sean Penn.

He's kind of like the male Tilda Swinton. Went to see "We need to talk about Kevin" today. Kind of wish I hadn't now. Grim stuff.
Should have known - I only finished the book last week. Too soon!

Tilda.jpg

He's kind of like the male Tilda Swinton. Went to see "We need to talk about Kevin" today. Kind of wish I hadn't now. Grim stuff.

Did you not like it or just that it was too depressing?

I liked it alot though I do doubt the feasibility of carrying out a school shooting the way he did.

i think so. is that not a massive spoiler?

No - unless you have no clue to what the film is about at all. Then mentioning anything will give it away. The second thing I said is pretty immaterial to the story/plot.

straw-dogs-thumb.jpg

Pretty much a Shot for shot/line for line remake of the original with the story relocated to the States from Cornwell. Weaker than the origianl and pretty pointless - I still kinda enjoyed it. Didn't like James Woods in it much (and I normally Like him)

Did you not like it or just that it was too depressing?

I liked it alot though I do doubt the feasibility of carrying out a school shooting the way he did.

Ah no, I liked it - it was really well made and the performances were great. Just bad timing - I only just finished the book and throughout the movie was making unfair comparisons in my head. The weather yesterday was also entirely unsuitable for spending time watching such a bleak, unsettling film!

thanks to ernesto ; i started watching maximum overdrive at 4.30 am. replaced the first half of the sound with gregorian chant and it was pretty epic, in the actually epic sense of the word, rather than mediocre as that normally means. fun movie.

rise-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-banner-poster.jpg

Loved the Planet of the Apes series of movies as a kid, even watched TV episodes on an 8mm projector, so this film series is very precious to me.
Even Tim Burtons hape of shite, that I slightly have a soft spot for, just because its an Apes movie & Paul Giamatti is the bomb yo.
I was wary about the CGI apes in this new one but fuck me it was amazing.

I fucking loved it!

I'll be box setting the fuck out of this for christmas

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back