What movie did you watch last night? (4 Viewers)

Dogtooth - pretty interesting film about life in a typical Greek family..

Dogtooth.+Poster+2.jpg

True-Grit-Poster.jpg

I'll need to see it again.
I enjoyed it - but I never seem to grasp Cohen Brothers films on the first watch.

There is a lot more of Millers Crossing in it than any of their recent films.
Perhaps its the score

How the hell does Hailee Stienfeld or however she spells it get nominated for "supporting" actress? surely that was a leading role?

just home from this now, didn't know it was a coen brothers film until the credits came up at the end. I did think about them during the film though but thought that they would be unlikely to put on such a dreary sound track - endless piano variations of the same tune. One of my favorite things about No Country For Old Men was that it had no music in it, i think this one would have benefited from a similar approach. small quibble though, i really enjoyed it and it was a real treat when
iris dement
came on at
the end
singing
Leaning On The Everlasting Arm
as the
one armed lady
walked
slowly off into the distance.

Very good

Dogtooth - pretty interesting film about life in a typical Greek family..

Have this on the Sky+,looking forward to it now.

Has anyone seen Short Cuts, the Robert Altman movie? I have it recorded but I'm unsure whether to commit 3 and a bit hours of my life to watching it.

HOWL_Movie_Poster.jpg

A strangely put together film, mixing verbatim court scenes, an interview with James Franco as Ginsberg, a reading of Howl by James Franco as Ginsberg and some animation sequences that I didn't particularly care for that much. Interesting but not great. Franco is good though. I admire how it stuck rigidly to the facts and didn't Hollywood any part of it, but then again it felt a little threadbare. Great poem though. I hadn't read the whole thing, though I should have by now.

movie_6049_poster.jpg

disgusted with myself for not making it to cinema for this.
watched on dvd today. cracking stuff. worthy watching again in next few days.
really looks amazing

The Kings speech

kings-speech-34.jpg

Stiffest of upper lipped Brits being extremely stuff and then melted by friendship. Excellent, entertaining at times very funny and touching, engaging, subtle
2 scenes in particular stand out one in which a bottle is uncorked and the cork is tossed aside and the other in which Hitler finally makes his appearance are absolute master classes in FUCKING SUBTLETY !!!! ARE YOU LISTENING AMERICA??? not sure if that counts as a spoiler it's only about 15 seconds of footage and has no bearing on the plot whatsoever
and brilliantly acted. Probably won't win any oscars because it's british but exactly the type of film that does win that ghastly award. Worth seeing.

and

black_swan_movie_poste_natalie-portman.jpg

Brilliant if you haven't seen any Cronenburg, David Lynch or especially Roman Polanski Movies. (this pretty much is Inland Empire Dead Ringers and Repulsion all mashed together).

If you have seen those movies (and I have) then it's okay. Too many horror movie whispers and clanks on the soundtrack (Subtlety fuck wit be more subtle) and some of the plot is just ludicrous
when did lesbianism equate directly to insanity ...actually scratch that I know a few lesbians and they're all nuts
That said it has just enough sexiness and physicality (by which I mean you get a real sense of Portmans body being strained and pushed into shape it's not as good as Hunger in that regard but then nothing I've ever seen on screen has left me so exhausted as that) Portman is good though her charachter is really a representation of virtue rather than an actual charachter the finale is brilliantly filmed. and it's fairly weird out of all the nonsense action movies this year the most inventive and exciting set pieces of the past year may have been ballet, computer programing and waking up from a dream. Who'd a thunk it.

I saw Black Swan yesterday meself and I havent seen any cronenburg, lynch or polanski movies. I'm not sure what to think of it. It was a bit nasty and disturbing. I spent a good bit of it cringing and jumping with tension mainly because of the physical stuff, particularly the bit where
winona rider repeatedly stabs herself in the face

I didn't mind the plot, i thought of it as a bit of a fantasy movie so it didn't matter much what happened and
since she's completely bonkers it doesn't really matter what happens because it probably didn't happen anyway

too unsettling for me, don't wish to see it again.

I saw the kings speech a couple of weeks ago too, very enjoyable.

no recollection of that subtle bit with the cork bottle at all

Never seen any cronemberg, lynch or Polanski. Really?? How could you possibly have avoided them?

Haven't seen BS yet but looking forward to it. I liked his previous stuff

I wouldn't go as far as boring. Ridiculous yes, predictable yes Cliched fuck yes, but not boring. It had good things going for it, Vincent Casselle chewing the scenery for example, I honestly thought he was going to cackle evilly at one point.
as soon as you realise (somewhere in the final third) that Arnofsky isn't happy just to make a film about Swan Lake but is now making a version of Swan Lake it pretty much kills any tension because he's already told you the plot of Swan Lake three times by then
Overall I just liked how it looked and moved along but then again I didn't like the Matrix so what do I know.

Shaney watch Repulsion, Inland Empire/Mulholland Drive/Blue Velvet and Videodrome next. Now they are fucking nasty little films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back