What movie did you watch last night? (1 Viewer)

Just finished Unforgiven I meant to post that fact but got distracted by the Black Swan debate. Hadn't seen it in fucking ages. It's class nuff said.

what a movie!

Little Bill Daggett: You'd be William Munny out of Missouri. Killer of women and children.
Will Munny: That's right. I've killed women and children. I've killed just about everything that walks or crawled at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you did to Ned.

I think I'm the only one who thought Black Swan was predicable and very boring.

Boring? really?

Predictable, yes. It's probably the only film i've ever seen where I could predict what was gonna happen next. I know that seems to be the only reason people watch films these days, basically to big themselves up for being so clever, but i'm always awful at it so I was quite surprised I found myself doing it.

You're not the only one. I thought that as well. It's incredibly cliched in my opinion.

It had every pretentious film cliche it was possible to have to the point where I actually forgave it. It had to be on purpose.

as soon as you realise (somewhere in the final third) that Arnofsky isn't happy just to make a film about Swan Lake but is now making a version of Swan Lake it pretty much kills any tension because he's already told you the plot of Swan Lake three times by then

This is true.

Also, it's a film about ballet, it's not gonna be subtle or subdued and it's hardly gonna be breaking new ground in storytelling. That would be like watching Shakespeare and complaining about the generic storyline.

I dunno. I thought it was absolutely brilliant and I'm also pretty sure I hated it. I certainly don't want to see it again. It probably helped that it was good fuel for my intense hatred of Natalie Portman.

I think it was one of those really mood based films, so if you wanted to go with the...intensity (maybe?) then you could sort of be swept up and into the pace of it, but if you sort of objectively stand back it just seems overly dramatic and silly and yeah, predictable. I actually really enjoyed it despite completely agreeing with what wc said above.

Yeah Unforgiven is pure quality

what a movie!

Little Bill Daggett: You'd be William Munny out of Missouri. Killer of women and children.
Will Munny: That's right. I've killed women and children. I've killed just about everything that walks or crawled at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you did to Ned.

I love the line that goes something along the lines of

I never killed anyone before.

Well you sure killed the hell out of that man back there.

what a movie.

also

Impressed that Black Swan has inspired such a discussion if nothing else it has us talking.

Next week we should give True Grit another going over cos I'm going to see it next.

coco_before_chanel_dvd.jpg

Didn't know much about her beforehand. Don't care much about her afterwards.

Fairly bad. Nice clothes. Audrey Tautou is pretty.

death-wish-uk.jpg

well played, Bronson got the right mix of grieving/wronged widow, and vigilante developing a taste for vengeance.
What is it about films from 70's/early80's that makes them look so grim/gritty, compared to more modern ones?

death-wish-uk.jpg

What is it about films from 70's/early80's that makes them look so grim/gritty, compared to more modern ones?

Because we're all spoilt little shits and the 70s and 80s (except in West Germany and Wall st) we're actually fucking grim. We're just re-hashing it because we have nothing else to say.

i.e Punk.

("the middle children of history we have no great war") FUCK YOU CHUCK PALMINUIK

Yeah I said it.

Take that eircore.

DISCLAIMER : Washingcattle is totally fucking pissed ignore him.

P.S watch La Haine, or Boyz n the Hood or Do the Right Thing or City of God or 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days or 24/7

It's still grim.

Oh and film ...... Grainy cheap shitty film stock that helps too.

Dear god I'm drunk ignore me.

Fuck it I'm pissed

The Death of The Death of Mister Lazarescu, Nil By Mouth and Dark Days.

Grimtopia.

Yeah i know I'm missing the point but fuck it.

Actually the first half of 13 Tzameti too. In a more (back on point) thriller gone grim kind of way. (if you get this on DVD and have no idea what its about DO NOT LOOK AT THE COVER OR THE TITLE SCREEN OF THE DVD IT GIVES AWAY THE WHOLE FUCKING PLOT. Just download it or ask for it in Lazer (if you're in Dublin) don't watch the trialer.

Fuck it I'm pissed

The Death of The Death of Mister Lazarescu, Nil By Mouth and Dark Days.

Grimtopia.

Yeah i know I'm missing the point but fuck it.

Actually the first half of 13 Tzameti too. In a more (back on point) thriller gone grim kind of way. (if you get this on DVD and have no idea what its about DO NOT LOOK AT THE COVER OR THE TITLE SCREEN OF THE DVD IT GIVES AWAY THE WHOLE FUCKING PLOT. Just download it or ask for it in Lazer (if you're in Dublin) don't watch the trialer.

and the Brothers Grimm, RIP HEATH LEDGER

Heath LEGEND more like

Ninja weekend.

snm_poster_01.jpg

SHINOBI NO MONO. Apparently the first serious ninja film. Full of ninja shenanigans and cat-stroking bad guys that Roald Dahl nicked for the script to You Only Live Twice.

2qmgs95.jpg

NINJA WARS. Decapitations, head swapping, ninjas spitting acid, that sort of thing. Highly entertaining.

ninja_terminator_poster_01.jpg

NINJA TERMINATOR. A film so modern and so brilliant that absolutely nobody understands it.

golden_ninja_warrior_01.jpg

GOLDEN NINJA WARRIOR. Makes about as much sense as Ninja Terminator but is pretty hilarious as well.

737718Castle%20of%20Owls.jpg

CASTLE OF OWLS. Old school ninjas. One ninja out for revenge on the shogun whose men killed his family, other ninja out to collect the bounty on his head.

Ninja_3.jpg

NINJA III - THE DOMINATION. This is amazingly ridiculous. See the ninja go on a rampage on a golf course before having his soul transferred into a young lady who happens to be wandering past.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

61CQBHWS5WL.jpg

DEMON SPIES. Based on a manga by Kazuo Koike (Lone Wolf & Cub, Lady Snowblood, Hanzo the Razor etc.). Bunch of ninjas going around in demon masks ninjing.

ninja-scroll-movie-poster-1020471449.jpg

NINJA SCROLL. I didn't actually notice any scroll. It seemed to be more about bad ninjas up to no good and good ninjas preventing them getting up to no good.

ninja_hunt82.jpg

NINJA HUNT (1982 remake) Ronin keeping nefarious ninjas from being up to no good.

364375816_981304d73d.jpg

NINJA - THE FINAL DUEL. This has everything. Shaolin monks, naked fighting, water spider assault units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back