What movie did you watch last night? (8 Viewers)

mechanic.jpg

This is great. First 15 minutes or so are completely dialogue free, just Bronson going about his business in silence, which is not fixing cars.

ashes-of-time-redux.jpg

Wong Kar Wai's wuxia film. Does pretty much what you'd expect and does it well.

(aside - this may be the only film where the Chinese woman puts on hat and pretends to be a man trick doesn't actually fool anyone)

bigheat-hkdvd.jpg

Solid but unexceptional 80s Hong Kong police film. Directed by Andrew Kam (not familiar with his other work) and Johnnie To, who's done a whole lot of better stuff since.

Return%20of%20the%20Bastard%20Swordsman.jpg

The tagline about a kung fu heart attack is meant to be taken literally - one of the bad guys has a kung fu style to control his opponent's heart. Which might seem a touch silly, but there's also dudes shooting lasers from there chests and silk from their hands, so it's not out of place. Lo Lieh has a minor role. Appropriates a chunk of Morricone's score for Death Rides a Horse. Anyway, this is highly entertaining if you like kung fu films with silly special effects.

That's more like my brother who's an actual Buddhist monk. He's never pulled out a three section staff or anything though.

stone%20cold.jpg

Not the Craig R. Baxley classic, this is the TV film with Tom Selleck as a grizzled cop. Directed by Robert Harmon. Solid, Selleck does a good grizzled cop. There's a few more of these as well.

51WMHN9D0EL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is some entertaining nonsense in back in the day Japan, except with a few anachronisms like heat seeking missiles and motorbikes. The lad from Versus is dragging around a coffin Django-style, other people want it. Steven Seagal's son is also in this somewhere.

t78195luidq.jpg

A film I love and can watch over and over... there are so many good lines. The bicycle scene with Rain Drops Are Falling On My Head is a classic.

Then not realizing the connection... it was only okay. I don't think I like Danny Boyle. Anyone know what the real dude thought of it? I might have to hunt that information down.

127_Hours_10.jpg

ashes-of-time-redux.jpg

Wong Kar Wai's wuxia film. Does pretty much what you'd expect and does it well.

(aside - this may be the only film where the Chinese woman puts on hat and pretends to be a man trick doesn't actually fool anyone)

I had no idea what wuxia was so did a wiki on it. It mentioned The Water Margin right at the start. I was obsessed with that when I was a kid. I am now very excited about a Wong Kar Wai wuxia movie ...

Watched Ip Man last night (finally!). Good stuff.

True-Grit-Poster.jpg

I'll need to see it again.
I enjoyed it - but I never seem to grasp Cohen Brothers films on the first watch.

There is a lot more of Millers Crossing in it than any of their recent films.
Perhaps its the score

How the hell does Hailee Stienfeld or however she spells it get nominated for "supporting" actress? surely that was a leading role?

2374306207_2eb3119715.jpg

This makes Dirty Harry look like a staunch advocate of the rights of the criminal. Christian Bale's American Psycho look may have been modelled on the bad guy in this.
Also I have no idea why this is called 10 to Midnight.

51fX4iK%2BzdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Wasn't gone on this. Not particularly exciting made for TV film.

Geoffrey Lewis is in both of the above.

deathhunt%5B1%5D.jpg

Death Hunt. Lee Marvin leading a posse through the mountains after Charles Bronson.

flamingstarlc3.jpg

Flaming Star. This is a Don Siegel western with Elvis as a half white half Indian forced to choose between a white shower of pricks and an Indian shower of pricks. He sings one song at the very start, straight up acting after that. He also engages in a bout of fisticuffs as indicated above.

the-american-poster_330x503.jpg

The American. Clooney as the hitman type going about his business not saying a whole lot. Down the same lines as Le Samurai, the Mechanic (Bronson version, probably not remake), Ghost Dog.

Trailer for this was made by pricks. It as good as waves a big sign in your face telling you Clooney's going to die. Anyone who's seen more than two films ever knows what it means when a hitman wants out, and this doesn't come up in the film until over halfway through. Cop on, trailer making people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back