What is the worst job you've ever worked?.....ever. (1 Viewer)

Great stories. My one seems pathetic in comparison.
Filling the goodie bags for the Ladies Mini Marathon. Stacks of promotional items arranged around the walls of a room somewhere in the Arnotts building. All day we'd just walk around in circles taking a shampoo sample from one box, a leafet from another and so on. Some people would lap you and the boss person would give out if you were seen putting 2 leaflets in a bag instead of 1 etc

Men's socks and jocks depaertment in Penneys.

Involved putting jocks that were ripped out of

packets back into packets.

Size small jocks always sold out first.

Must be a lot of small arses out there in Dublin!

I remember that bell! Was that place called volcara or something similar, on capel st.? Went to an interview there once after replying to an enigmatic help wanted ad that in no way described the job. All the way during the interview I was slowly pegging that this was going to be a shite, door to door begging affair. So I cut in on the interviewer:

Him: You'll work in an exciting, competitive sales enviroment..

Me: Is this a door to door thing?

Him: Our customers many well known brands, including...

Me: Is this a door to door thing?

It was a door to door thing. Didn't take job.

snap! i think...
was deffo on capel st. anyway, above some kind of "discount" shop. didn't take it either.

while in college i worked one christmas as a bear in arnotts window. they had some kind of big brother themed shite where we were doing our thing and people could watch. was fun sometimes as there were 3 or 4 of us at a time and kids were fascinated by our antics. fucking sweaty in the costume.

worked in the Haytch S EEE for a while processing medical card claims from GPs. processing = filling in the same 10 or so fields on a database over and over again all day. doctors can do this shit themselves on line now i think. they gave us a swiss army knife for christmas.

I worked as a kitchen porter in Toronto and hadn't a fucking clue what I was doing. I was a veggie student with a total lack of knowledge of food so whenever I was asked to bring out lamb or something from the fridge I would just come back with chicken and a confused look.

They then moved me to a stall outside the restaurant shaped like a boat where I had to shuck oysters for customers who walked by but most of them just got a cracked oyster lying in a bed of crushed ice and my blood. Whenever people commented on my accent I told them I was from Ireland and this was the boat I came over in, 70% of them belived me....

EDIT
I did that Vulcara thing as well, they were above the DIY shop on Capel Street. I got the same speel about marketing and selling quality goods so agreed to join.
On the first day I was given a suitcase full of shitty plastic toys and best of cds then called from business to business in Ringsend. I lasted about 3 hours before literally running off with my tie flapping behind me, laughing like a loon at the ridiculousness of the situation.

Working in a stationery warehouse putting together orders. That was the most boring.

Working minimum wage in a smally, busy city center newsagent. If your till was down at the end of the day the money came from your wages. One day I was down for my day's work.

The owner was paranoid. The cameras were on you, not on the customers, to see if you were stealing anything. They didn't hire security so your job was also to stop the drunks and the junkies stealing stuff.

when living in canada i did a bit of temping when i needed to. over the summer, decent temp jobs were hard to come by so i would often consider anything. one morning having been out of work for a few weeks an agency called and said that had a job for me. 4 week contact, in a office, just cutting and pasting text and images. money was shit but i was broke so i took it.

reported for work and was led to an office miles away from anyone else. on the desk there was a 4 foot pile of newspapers, two yokes of prit stick, a sicsors and a massive scrap book like we had in primary school.

i lasted a day.

Working in a stationery warehouse putting together orders. That was the most boring.

Working minimum wage in a smally, busy city center newsagent. If your till was down at the end of the day the money came from your wages. One day I was down for my day's work.

The owner was paranoid. The cameras were on you, not on the customers, to see if you were stealing anything. They didn't hire security so your job was also to stop the drunks and the junkies stealing stuff.

me too! hi5

I used to enjoy carrying the till through drunken Temple Bar streets at half twelve at night

and by enjoy I mean get really angry

when i was 11 i spent all summer delivering leaflets, 6 hrs a day, 5 days a week for £20, bastard.
worked in burger king for 3 yrs, got sucked in and just didnt care enough to leave, found a tumor in a chicken royale and dead mice in the kitchen. there was a managr that liked picking me up and walking around with me for a few mins every hour or so, he also had a think for knives (he liked to trow them at us, only got someone once).
also worked in carrols irish gifts store in temple bar for about a year, ive never hated anything or anyone as much as the dublin city ramblers, the music really was evil, there was no heating, bare stone floor and no door, they made me pay for a guinness jumper to wear there. also being preggers didnt make it any more bearable. no seat and stuck in a 2ft space till 10 each night.
drunk hen and stag groups, junkies, vomit all over the shutters every sat&sun morning. a chinese man was killed outside the shop one night, pretty horrific.

chambermaid.

human beings are feral.
Oh yeah! I forgot all about that particular chapter of my life! You wouldn't think so many people were incontinent would you? Then again a lot of our clients were tour buses full of elderly Americans. They'd probably be grand if they didn't all carry an extra suitcase full of medication for themselves.

I was a chamber maid/night porter. Shortly after I left the person doing the night porter job brutally murdered someone in the kitchen. I could have been that murderer/murderee!

i collected glasses in a pub in berlin before for 20 quid a night. one night she said do you want some more work, i was desparate for more work so i said yes, he handed me a load of posters and i went about putting them up all over east berlin, came back a few hours later and she gave me a pint for my troubles. bless.

nothing really that bad

did supermarket work for 15 months.
£1.45 an hour.
Supposed to be after school two or three days a week and the occasional Saturday but I usually worked double the permitted hours which meant my studying took a back seat.

Finished up on New Year's Eve 1988 - six months before the Leaving.

Tough work. Uncaring managers. Collecting trolleys all over the town - no deposits in those days. Sweeping floors. Pulling dangerously overloaded pallets through the shop floor.

"Doing the sugar".

Sole objective was to get money to buy records. My weekly wage was usually £30 - £35 which meant I could get four or five albums and a few singles.

also did
Strawberry picking for a few summers. Need to start by 6am if you want to make any decent cash. That's when the 'fresh fruit' is picked. i.e. the stuff that's sold in punnets. Once all that was picked the remainder was used for jam and the stalks had to be pulled off.

Also worked for a grain company. Operating the weighbridge was easy, testing grain for moisture a bit harder although mostly montonous. Disturbed a wasps' nest one year with tragic consequences.

Disturbed a wasps' nest one year with tragic consequences.

0800177991.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back