What gig did you go to last night? (5 Viewers)

Ahhhhhhhh. I didn't go. Late night Thursday and a heavy schedule of diy over the weekend. Tits. Was it busy? Glad to hear you made it.
Ahh it was soooo good.Great crowd.

He played a great selection..a good few off Eye which is my favourite album of his..so I was well into it. But every song was a gift from the gods.

What a lyricist. Possibly the best I've ever heard I reckon.

Ty segall. I'm not a fan anyway,and he didn't really win me over. Not bad or anything. Cherry red was definitely the highlight for me.

The Tivoli is way smaller than I remembered.

I went to Nick Cave. Arrived just before he came on cos I was rushing from a class, hence missed Patti Smith (though heard Gloria on the walk up to the venue).

Dunno though. I thought it was really good but can't help feeling that it was a bit short or something. He played 14/15 songs and was on stage for barely more than 1.5 hours. For 70 lids, like. Maybe it's just cos he has so many great songs and only barely scratched the surface. Was really hoping doe O'Malley's Bar, but shur that would have taken half the gig.

Jubilee Street was the highlight for me but the setlist was nicely spread enough between old and new. Was great to hear The Weeping Song but could have done without that wankey hand-clapping shite in the middle.

I went to Nick Cave. Arrived just before he came on cos I was rushing from a class, hence missed Patti Smith (though heard Gloria on the walk up to the venue).

Dunno though. I thought it was really good but can't help feeling that it was a bit short or something. He played 14/15 songs and was on stage for barely more than 1.5 hours. For 70 lids, like. Maybe it's just cos he has so many great songs and only barely scratched the surface. Was really hoping doe O'Malley's Bar, but shur that would have taken half the gig.

Jubilee Street was the highlight for me but the setlist was nicely spread enough between old and new. Was great to hear The Weeping Song but could have done without that wankey hand-clapping shite in the middle.
Check out Una Mullaly's review Nick Cave review: Delirious Dublin falls into his arms

yeah, was just reading it

UnaRocks said:
“It’s daylight. How terrifying.” There are moments when a backdrop of sunshine hangs well, but the preying mantis of rock has just burned his way out of an onyx chrysalis. As much as Dublin is delirious with a summer that no one is mentioning in case they jinx it, Nick Cave is always going to desire blackout blinds.
Already down the ego ramp into the crowd by the second song, grazing the fingertips of the devout, you know, and I know, and they know, this is going to be special.
The evening begins, sun blazing, with the simultaneously weight and lightness that is in the air at the moment. Ireland is on some kind of beautiful rollover and everything is clicking into place.
What better anthem to herald and rally than Patti Smith’s opener, The People Have The Power. “Use your voice,” Smith shouts as the song closes. Yeah, we did that.
Smith’s set, as known as it is to fans, takes on some kind of elevated vibe. It may be the best many here have seen her play in recent years; a poetic, urgent, powerful statement that makes a field of thousands feel like an intense conversation at a low-lit house party. Even the roadies in their cut-off shorts, faded black T-shirts, and lip-hanging cigarettes take pause.

Cave emerges, the host of Dante’s warped fairground, and the crowd almost arches back in reverence.
Red Right Hand skins across a coral reef of fists before Into My Arms renders the romantics speechless but humming. And all the while, the man sits and prowls, a purposeful, knowing performance with an unspoken audience buy-in.
The chill descends. Those who expected a dip in proceedings are cold-shower woken by Stagger Lee, at which point a portion of the crowd is on stage, the black and white visuals blasting out a monochrome bacchanalia.

Euphoric and violent, Cave stalks us all, and what is notable is how susceptible the audience remains. A respect never deferential but tantric in its consumption and anticipation.
There is no sloppiness with Cave. Everything is pointed and aimed as an archer, targeting personal connections as he prowls.
What feels like a false goodbye and ends up being one only increases the anticipation, a waiting more pronounced than the long bar queues, or sold out T-shirts, or the foreboding, circling helicopter. He does not appear again.
It many ways, there is so much grief in this concert, and the sense running away from the weight of it all. But the consolation of tragedy is art, and then the fading light, and the slowly dispersing crowd, soaked in the heaviness of an artist truly transmitting his emotions. And us all there to receive them.
It’s dark, it’s the summer. It shouldn’t make sense. But it does.

Another Ty Segall attendee, cracking show. It was a bit like the crowdsurfing olympics alright.

The first four or so songs were a total wall of noise from where I was standing, grand for a while, but then it started to drag for me... Sound definitely improved after that, from the Hot Chocolate cover on - Despoiler of Cadaver was feckin' brilliant live and it's one of my least favourite tunes on Freedom's Goblin, love when that happens.

I was at Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. I liked it fine. I get what he's at with the whole audience participation bit but I don't think it works for these massive gigs. I had a decent view but I'd have hated to be at the top of the hill looking for a guy in a black suit against a black background.
He could have done this show in Vicar St and got what he wanted to get out of it.
Sound was ok. Not great. Grand not unmissable or anything. I liked meeting friends more than the gig.

Nick Cave.

Pretty amazing.

Magneto was stupidly powerful opener. If he'd just played that and gone home I'd have been happy enough. When the band were going for it they were preposterously good and kinda class to see warren ellis and nick trade piano chops so nick can wander around being angular. Thought it was a really nice length, but maybe that 3.5 hour amada palmer gig has my sense of time bent out of shape.

Nick Cave.

Pretty amazing.

Magneto was stupidly powerful opener. If he'd just played that and gone home I'd have been happy enough. When the band were going for it they were preposterously good and kinda class to see warren ellis and nick trade piano chops so nick can wander around being angular. Thought it was a really nice length, but maybe that 3.5 hour amada palmer gig has my sense of time bent out of shape.

Ohh, how embarrasing - magneto was second.

I'd rate 7/15 'hits' - nice balance

I thought Nick Cave was great last night. Sound was pretty full on (we were at the second barrier) and aside from "Into My Arms" I thought it was a great setlist. But yeah, it could have been longer but presumably the expense of the ticket also covered seeing Patti Smith. I missed her first song or two as the queue took for-fucking-ever to move but caught everything from "Ghost Dance" onwards. I thought she was brilliant but would have preferred to see her in a smaller venue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back