What gig did you go to last night? (4 Viewers)

Circuit Des Yeux at the NCH, it was great. I listened to her last two albums a little bit, and i liked the last one quite a lot but I enjoyed the gig more then I expected. Great performer, excellent songs and band. All through the gig I couldn't put my finger on who exactly her voice was reminding me of and then right at the end I realised it was Robbie Basho.

Went to see Conan and Monolord last night.

Monolord were savage. Really heavy stoner rock but with a good bit going on melodically on top. The bass player also had a savage tone. Been listening to their Rust album today, it's really good.

Conan were deadly too. Incredibly heavy. I think @nooly mentioned before about how they go for the brown sound live, she's not wrong.

I'm a bit late to the whole stoner rock thing, I didn't realise it could be so enjoyable.

Went to see Conan and Monolord last night.

Monolord were savage. Really heavy stoner rock but with a good bit going on melodically on top. The bass player also had a savage tone. Been listening to their Rust album today, it's really good.

Conan were deadly too. Incredibly heavy. I think @nooly mentioned before about how they go for the brown sound live, she's not wrong.

I'm a bit late to the whole stoner rock thing, I didn't realise it could be so enjoyable.

This gig made me check out Pallbearer's Foundations of Sorrow album again. I forgot how good that was.

went to see Loudest Whisper play their mid 70s release Children Of Lir in Cork Opera House last night. beefed up with a string quartet, 60 person choir and Donovan narrating the story on a screen in between the tunes. Was absolutely brilliant. serious celtic mysticism vibes going on. Have yet to see an original copy of the album. goes for crazy money. Hadn't listened to it for a good while Have revisited twice today already. Shame it never really got the exposure it deserved back in the day.

The Breeders in Vicar St. It was great for so many reasons. While waiting for them to arrive I thought the atmos was a bit dull. But one they arrived and for the entire way through the gig the crowd was up for it, loud and enthusiastic. It's been while since I've seen that level of constant cheering between band leaving and returning for encore. A joy. Massive mid-song cheers for Kelly's violin singing and Jim's stick catch were highlights.

Amanda Palmer

It was many things.

1. some serious repeal campaigners visible in the venue. definitley a spiritual wind down for a lot of people.

2. ridiculous piano chops/approach. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone hit a piano as hard.

3. new material (unreleased and fan club stuff) was mellower, showed new vocal approaches, funny.

4. Neil Gaiman reading was nice bonus thing, but I had completely convinced myself they were hyping a musical special guest.

5. 3.5 hours long - it wasn't awkwardly so, I had it in my head as going 1 song or so over.

Anyways, I've not followed her for years and sorta see love/hate trends on the web, but for a 3.5hr gig, it didn't feel to long at all.

Amanda Palmer

It was many things.

1. some serious repeal campaigners visible in the venue. definitley a spiritual wind down for a lot of people.

2. ridiculous piano chops/approach. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone hit a piano as hard.

3. new material (unreleased and fan club stuff) was mellower, showed new vocal approaches, funny.

4. Neil Gaiman reading was nice bonus thing, but I had completely convinced myself they were hyping a musical special guest.

5. 3.5 hours long - it wasn't awkwardly so, I had it in my head as going 1 song or so over.

Anyways, I've not followed her for years and sorta see love/hate trends on the web, but for a 3.5hr gig, it didn't feel to long at all.

Sounds good (aside from Neil Gaiman who just needs to get the fuck out my face). She's a really excellent songwriter, underrated because her music is lost underneath all her internet stuff and everyone wanting to talk to her about her half-baked philosophies and endless ukelele cover versions. A real pity the music media has no place for her these days because she knows her way around a tune.

Sounds good (aside from Neil Gaiman who just needs to get the fuck out my face). She's a really excellent songwriter, underrated because her music is lost underneath all her internet stuff and everyone wanting to talk to her about her half-baked philosophies and endless ukelele cover versions. A real pity the music media has no place for her these days because she knows her way around a tune.

My *prediction* (crystal ball on an exponential of tin foil hats) is that the next dresden dolls record she's not telling anyone about will be great.

I was at the Breeders (i.e. the Kelley Deal comedy act + some songs) there on Sunday as well, great gig. I've seen them 4 times at this point I think and it's the first time i've seen them play Gigantic, so that was kinda cool. I don't think anything from Mountain Battles or the Amps album was played though, they must have been reading the comments in album club :confused:.

Some seriously drunk people at it though, christ...

Then last night i went to see Broken Social Scene because my brother had no one to go with. I don't know a single song by them but it was deadly, every song is the last song on an album. At one point I was bobbing along enjoying a great track when by brother turned to me and noted "this is one of their shit songs", "oh right" :unsure:. Cillian Murphy was there as well, trying to make himself invisible in the sound-desk the poor man.

Also I got a bit of a kick over the age profile at it, a fairly getting on age group but still being on average 15 years younger than the breeders gig the night before - i.e. big in 1993 vs. big in 2007.

I did notice at BSS that certain mediocre songs were getting too much love (i.e. those god awful ‘jump up and down’ people). I guess this is related to Kevin Drew’s rant re:algorithms (THE SPOTIFY TOP 5). Didn’t realise Cillian was cocooned at the sound desk until I passed it on the way out.

Fortunately wasn’t in vicinity of drunk Breeder attendees but one guy standing near me live streamed the entire gig to someone sitting in a depressing looking bedroom.

Yondr pouches should be mandatory at all gigs.

I, every song is the last song on an album.

I had almost the exact same thought last night, thinking that every song sounded like the big closing song to end the gig.

Also I got a bit of a kick over the age profile at it, a fairly getting on age group but still being on average 15 years younger than the breeders gig the night before - i.e. big in 1993 vs. big in 2007.

I saw a few properly middle aged folk at that and thought that they must have been around my age when I was getting into them in 03 I think it was when You Forgot It In People came out.

By the end of them before their hiatus I was a bit tired of the bigness of it and started skipping gigs, and I love them, I've seen them loads. But I've seen them twice since they;ve got back together to do stuff and I've loved both of them.

I was at Ezra Furman in the Tivoli. Overall it was good but parts of the gig were a chore. Stringing a few fairly maudlin songs in a row when the crowd were gagging for more upbeat stuff. And his between song banter can be a bit trying. Upsets the momentum of the gig a bit. But the gig the other year in the Academy was no different.

I had to leave early cos I was on-call for work and I reckon I missed maybe the last 3 songs (judging by the most recent setlist I could find).

I only know 3 of his albums and it seems most of what he played were from them. He played a few from Day of the Dog which was nice. Not as much from Perepetual Motion People, which is a great album, and a lot from the new album, which is half-decent but not great.

It seems that the Yes garb from last week's referendum has become the latest fashion craze for Dublin's hip youngsters. Lots of it on display last night.

I was at Ezra Furman in the Tivoli. Overall it was good but parts of the gig were a chore. Stringing a few fairly maudlin songs in a row when the crowd were gagging for more upbeat stuff. And his between song banter can be a bit trying. Upsets the momentum of the gig a bit. But the gig the other year in the Academy was no different.

I had to leave early cos I was on-call for work and I reckon I missed maybe the last 3 songs (judging by the most recent setlist I could find).

I only know 3 of his albums and it seems most of what he played were from them. He played a few from Day of the Dog which was nice. Not as much from Perepetual Motion People, which is a great album, and a lot from the new album, which is half-decent but not great.

It seems that the Yes garb from last week's referendum has become the latest fashion craze for Dublin's hip youngsters. Lots of it on display last night.

I was close to going but didn't. I saw him last time & enjoyed it. Agree on the new album. Its hit & miss. Perepetual Motion People was great.

Went up to the Rory Gallagher Festival up in Ballyshannon at the weekend for a mate's stag. It was really good fun. I'm not a huge fan of his but the bands playing up there were really decent and there was a great atmosphere around the place. I'd go again but wouldn't bother with the big tent, seems to be more fun around the town.

Music highlights were Pat McManus (1st time seeing him, some guitar player) and a guy called Eric Steckel who put on a savage show. Also caught a bit of a band called Breaker who sounded like they were going to be deadly but then got rained off after 2 songs. Also saw an Irish crowd called the Scratch playing on the street who were deadly.

Just on my way home from Nick Cave at the Abbey. The mix of songs and conversation was a bit weird but it mostly worked. Worth going for the solo piano versions of some deeper cuts. A starter for tomorrow night’s main course!

saw Courtney Barnett in Manchester on monday. Was no sign of her playing a gig here so I popped over there to see her. Was a great gig overall. Started the set by playing the new album from start to finish. An unusual thing to do but I really like the new album so loved it. And I loved the way she did it so unashamedly or apologetically. No mixing in 'hits' to keep the crowd interested. It was basically like it or lump it.

After the new album she delved into the back catalog. I wasn't that gone on her first album proper but the kidz loved it so it seemed the songs from it were the real crowd pleasers. I love it when you get so out of touch with the yoof that when you like the same acts as them you don't like them in the same way. I heard of her first though so fuck the kidz. Pricks.

She played Anonymous Club. That will keep me happy for the rest of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back