What gig did you go to last night? (3 Viewers)

This is not related to a gig I went to last night but I remember going to see a Woman of No Importance in the Gate a few years ago. I was in the SECOND row and the guy in front of me had the most ginormous head in the world and blocked most of my view of the stage.

SECOND fucking row.
This tends to happen to me, what seems ALL the time.
If it's not the tallest fucker in the room standing right in front of me, it's the cnut with the biggest head in the city sitting right in front of me. Always.
I am cursed.

Martin Hayes & Dennis Cahill in a church in London. It was my first time seeing them do a full gig on their own since an amazing gig in Whelan's years ago. A good show of course but slightly spoiled by sitting towards the back and having to crane my neck to get a decent view. Thankfully any time people tried to charge in with handclaps and stomping it stopped fairly quickly.

I probably would've enjoyed it more if I had been, like the majority of the crowd, over 65 and on the lash because I didn't have to get up for work in the morning or make a 90 minute journey home to the other side of the city.

Vinyl (free tickets)
Seemed a bit mad. Brix, Tracy Thorn (good interview by Sinead Gleeson), Flood, all good. I saw a few minutes of Peggy Seeger, who was cool. Donovan seriously claimed a writing credit for Yellow Submarine, which was funny. Missed Irmin Schmidt's talk but I did meet him and Rob Young later, I'm told the talk was great. Cosey Fanni Tutti was not great, and it wasn't her fault. The interviewer asked a lot of mad questions, didn't have much knowledge of her beyond her book, and he moved off several interesting tangents she was talking about. Hard to listen to. She didn't stick around afterwards. Nick Seymour was interesting, and surprisingly, I enjoyed Bob Geldof (Both hosted by Pete Paphides who was well able for his subjects). Bilbo was there talking about Acid Jazz, couldn't be bothered. There was a pop-up branch of Tower which was great, they had books and records from the artists. Beer and weather and good company was really the highlight.
Crowd sparse but not terrible. Hard to see the model they're using working...it will have to stay small and expensive, and I can't see audiences really increasing that much. None of the talks that I saw were unmissable at all. Surprisingly good effort though, apart from one or two bad mismatches between interviewer and subject.

They were giving away tix to beat the band in the run up so it seems like it was less than a roaring success.

Nobody else at Grouper? I was at the early show. It was a great mix of the dronier, early stuff and the new piano material. Really enjoyed it.

Brad Mehldau at NCH. It was fine. Pretty conventional jazz carry-on. Outstanding musicians. Spent a good bit of it thinking how much better this would be if I was watching The Necks. I'm finding gigs at the NCH a bit sterile.

I know there were some musics happening at that vinyls thing, but like, Is going to a bunch of talks going to a gig now? Is it not more like

what seminar / q & A did you go to lastnight?

I just don't see the attraction of going to see a load of musicians talking. It's like going see a load of cyclists giving cookery demonstrations.

Well it's sort of the next logical step. Podcast listening is seriously eating into album listening. It might work if the venue the music chat was happening in let me clean it while the talk was going on.
nick cave spoken word in the Abbey....

My tinfoil brain has been telling me for the past few hours that its a side effect of an online life, that actually witnessing a human conversation while essentially controlling the parameters (like nothing too unexpected) is now marketable because social networking, while class in many ways, removes a lot of our built in watching people talk time that we've probably evolved to need.

Burday treat, I was brought to see Tommy Tiernan last night in Navan. Makeshift venue in a hotel function room. It was rammed but still smallish, maybe 400 people. It was Navan so there was plenty of local jokes thrown into his set. It was very fucking funny. Relentless too.
I'm late to the Tommy, I saw him in Vicar St just over a year ago and last night was way better.

My tinfoil brain has been telling me for the past few hours that its a side effect of an online life, that actually witnessing a human conversation while essentially controlling the parameters (like nothing too unexpected) is now marketable because social networking, while class in many ways, removes a lot of our built in watching people talk time that we've probably evolved to need.

It's an interesting theory but I would say part of it is that a lot of the target market for the vinyl event are a bit older and are maybe getting a bit jaded with going to see live bands so this is an alternative to that. It's still music related but more comfortable and less loud. I think it's the same reason that older punk and metal fans go to Henry Rollins and Scott Ian spoken word shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back