What gig did you go to last night? (2 Viewers)

Went to Willy Vlautin in Whelan's last night; was very enjoyable. He was reading from his forthcoming book and playing tunes and was interviewed by Roisin Dwyer as well.

Jeff Tweedy solo in Vicar Street.

Stripped down to 3 guitars mic'd up. Sounded really nice, none of that bouncy chime you get with plugged in acoustics. Lots of between song talking. That was weird. I really love him and Wilco, seeing a gig by an artist you truly love is a great feeling. 21 songs, but it felt like it was over very quickly.

Was sat right in front but my camera shit the bed. Got a spicebag on the way home.

Stripped down to 3 guitars mic'd up. Sounded really nice, none of that bouncy chime you get with plugged in acoustics. Lots of between song talking. That was weird. I really love him and Wilco, seeing a gig by an artist you truly love is a great feeling. 21 songs, but it felt like it was over very quickly.

Was sat right in front but my camera shit the bed. Got a spicebag on the way home.

Jesus, I love spice bags. I want one now.

Didn't go to any gigs last night but I did end up getting a spice bag. You inspired me.

i went to see these a couple of weeks ago in a small pub on the edge of the city

one of australia's premier aboriginal rock/reggae/country bands (there are at least two), they supported such luminaries as peter tosh, the clash and ian dury back in the day

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

before they got old:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

it was good

Is reggae as big in Australia as it is in NZ?

Reggae and Ronan Keating.

Did you go to any gig in Dunedin?
I went to a few local ones alright, no big names. I wanted to see the Verlaines who were playing one day but I wasn't able to make it, that was my only gig regret.

Well that and the time Daniel O'Donnell played.

mainly an aboriginal thing i think...not sure about ronan keating
Yeah Maori lads are big into reggae traditionally, more in to rap now i'd say. Ronan Keating was just being played all the time in supermarkets there, it was bizarre.

Last edited:
was at british sea power last night n whelans. really great set. good mix of songs from the various albums, they kicked it off with "who's in control", the ended it with carrion (from their 2002 or 2003 first album the decline of)

none of this phoney encore stuff either, they played for 90 minutes straight.

down side- i got elbowed when trying to avoid the polar bear during sechs freunde: keep on trying

support was from belfast band Mmode

was at british sea power last night n whelans. really great set. good mix of songs from the various albums, they kicked it off with "who's in control", the ended it with carrion (from their 2002 or 2003 first album the decline of)

none of this phoney encore stuff either, they played for 90 minutes straight.

down side- i got elbowed when trying to avoid the polar bear during sechs freunde: keep on trying

support was from belfast band Mmode
Shit, completely missed out on that!
I was at ADHD in The Grand Social; Icelandic jazzy noir - pretty good though i missed about 20 mins at the start.

Went with @hugh and @mark to see Hot Snakes play in Bristol this weekend. Pints were £2 a go in our pub of choice, and things got messy. Gig was on a boat.

And it was amazing, you'll have a tough time convincing me there's a better band than Hot Snakes playing rock music on a stage anywhere. Just exhilarating from start to finish and the new songs were terrific. Fingers crossed they get here later in the year.

Went with @hugh and @mark to see Hot Snakes play in Bristol this weekend. Pints were £2 a go in our pub of choice, and things got messy. Gig was on a boat.

And it was amazing, you'll have a tough time convincing me there's a better band than Hot Snakes playing rock music on a stage anywhere. Just exhilarating from start to finish and the new songs were terrific. Fingers crossed they get here later in the year.

Was that in Bristol? I'd love to see a gig at that place. Bucket list venue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back