What gig did you go to last night? (7 Viewers)

[QUOTE="Lili Marlene, post: 1690627, memb

e) There's no Top of the Pops / BBC centralised hub of culture anymore [/QUOTE]

this is a big one for me as far as going to gigs. Id go to way more if I simply heard about them,but its usually way too late even if I do.

Jane Weaver in the workman's. Really good turn out for this. The sound was good. The band was spot on, especially the rhythm section. They locked in perfectly for those motorik grooves. They could do with another female member though. Someone to provide some ghostly backing vocals. Jane, herself sang really well. All good.

But, I found the presentation a bit dull. This type of music needs some visual accompaniment.
I was waiting for something to kick in, but it didn't happen. The stage lighting was just plain, white light. It needed some basic mood lighting, patterns, changing colours, something..The house lights they have can do that, but no, they stayed static all night. They was a blank protection screen behind the band, perfect for some random swirling projections, but nothing appeared. . And I kept looking up at the two lonely mirror balls that never moved all night.

Sat night of ghoulstock in Warzone. Good night of grind and hardcore. Ran way over time, but that's the nature of these gigs

Jane Weaver in the workman's. Really good turn out for this. The sound was good. The band was spot on, especially the rhythm section. They locked in perfectly for those motorik grooves. They could do with another female member though. Someone to provide some ghostly backing vocals. Jane, herself sang really well. All good.

But, I found the presentation a bit dull. This type of music needs some visual accompaniment.
I was waiting for something to kick in, but it didn't happen. The stage lighting was just plain, white light. It needed some basic mood lighting, patterns, changing colours, something..The house lights they have can do that, but no, they stayed static all night. They was a blank protection screen behind the band, perfect for some random swirling projections, but nothing appeared. . And I kept looking up at the two lonely mirror balls that never moved all night.

Interesting review - I wasn't at it, so cheers. Was wondering how it would pan out live.

Looks like there was more visuals up in Belfast:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I went to see Night Demon and Rabid Bitch of the North in On The Rox last night. Rabid Bitch are savage, I'm kind of surprised more people aren't in to them, great band and tight as fuck. Their records don't really do them justice.
Night Demon are deadly fun, put on such a good show, probably 1 of the gigs of the year for me, go see them if you get the chance.

Couple of wussy gigs over the weekend.

Friday night - Malojian in a chruch in Drumcondra. Despite his use of the word style as an adjective, I like him. Loads of chords in his songs, and he played a few using two capos at the same time, which is the kind of thing I appreciate. Takes ages between songs, but he has got charming patter.

The support act was hard work for me. I don't know if a FIFTY FIVE minute set even counts as a support, and those church pews are unforgiving on the tailbone. Anyways, turns out that people that were really into the XX as teenagers are now out there getting gigs and playing other voices.

Saturday afternoon - Iain Archer in Portrush. An old family favourite, this was the first time seeing him in years. Another guitarist I am found of. He played a reminiscing song about Portrush that made me feel weepy, and then had his kids singing a bit on the last song. Which sounds like it could be totally lame, but it was really sweet and fun.

@scutter Oh dear God, I can't believe you were there! I hope I didn't come across as too deranged. They had asked me to introduce them and mention about some of the merchandise sales on the night going to Young Hearts/Dublin Simon, and they are so generous, but I was worried I might derail everything with my rambling. It was such a great gig, wasn't it?

Wolf Parade and it was great. Such a tight band with lots of songs from Queen Mary.

Cameo appearance from @YoungHearts too. Played a blinder, Siobhan! Hope you made a tonne of money.

Absolute whopper gig, was smiling throughout. Love that band.

@YoungHearts' intro reminded me of the start of the Tim Buckley live in London album.

@scutter Oh dear God, I can't believe you were there! I hope I didn't come across as too deranged. They had asked me to introduce them and mention about some of the merchandise sales on the night going to Young Hearts/Dublin Simon, and they are so generous, but I was worried I might derail everything with my rambling. It was such a great gig, wasn't it?
it was amazing. And tbh, I think your intro added to the whole atmosphere. There was a real feelgood vibe there anyway but when people were made aware their merch purchases were going to help the Simon community I think that just made people even happier.

@Unicron ha! Yes, the bumbling "I was just coming in with my ticket and now I'm here introducing the band.....okay...." that's me alright. @scutter that's so nice of you to say, and I know what you mean about the atmosphere, it was so lovely anyway, but hopefully people were touched that they have that impulse to connect locally, and they really do, they are some of the good guys.

@Unicron ha! Yes, the bumbling "I was just coming in with my ticket and now I'm here introducing the band.....okay...." that's me alright. @scutter that's so nice of you to say, and I know what you mean about the atmosphere, it was so lovely anyway, but hopefully people were touched that they have that impulse to connect locally, and they really do, they are some of the good guys.
and, being perfectly honest, there was a second at the start where I thought you were coming out to tell us the gig was cancelled :D

I have to say, after dropping more on the merch table than I'd intended to pre gig (apologies ... reissue on vinyl was an unexpected purchase, I only planned on getting the new one) I felt a lot better when it was announced young hearts were getting a cut.

When I was younger and getting into them I always thought that Dan seemed a bit intimidating looking but he seems like a really lovely guy.

Richard Dawson in Whelans. Absolutely outstanding. I was a bit worried that he wouldn't be as good with the band, but they were amazing. Total caveman stomp, and his lovely Burns guitar sounded amazing. He was fairly shook by the end of it!

Richard Dawson in Whelans. Absolutely outstanding. I was a bit worried that he wouldn't be as good with the band, but they were amazing. Total caveman stomp, and his lovely Burns guitar sounded amazing. He was fairly shook by the end of it!
Really, really good show. Agreed that the band suited him far more than I thought it would. Funny fucker too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back