What gig did you go to last night? (9 Viewers)

Paul Draper at the Workmans; he did a set of his solo stuff, took a quick break and then came back and did Attack of the Grey Lantern. A strange mixture of amusement, bemusement, pride and gratefulness from him. Good fun all told although he wasn't even trying to sing some of the high notes. Full of lads reliving their youth but not much representation from the melody-maker goth side of their fanbase.

Last edited:
Take # 2

I was at King Gizzard in the Olympia as well. I enjoyed over all.
I caught most of mild high club's set. I have their skiptracing album, its a nice mellow listen but live it was bad. The sound was terrible, some horrible ear jarring frequencies in the mix, mainly coming from his guitar. They're incredibly nonchalant. It was like a band rehearsal after a long break, just feeling they're way through it. No stage presence & despite, or maybe in spite of some nice ramshackled jazzy moments, the crowd talked all over it.

King Gizzard came on and showed immediately why they are the headlining band. The sound improved (that old trick) & they rocked the place. Really tight. The band has a unique groove. The projection screen behind them was cool, lots of trippy images. The biggest reaction of the night was for rattlesnake. Nice to hear that track from Quarters at the end. Minor complaint about the gizzard, the presentation needs some work. Maybe some psychedelic style clothes or something & the rest of the band could be more engaging. Stu McKenzie is a dynamo but he's the only one worth watching. Lots of "one more chooin" chants after the last song, but they didn't come back on. Pity.

Complaint: but this probably goes for all gigs. People who instead of watching the band seem to spend most of the time walking about the place, weaving through the crowd, bumping into to people. Pain in the hole.

Was at elbow and John grant last night.
An excellent show.

John grant was very stripped back, piano, keyboard and guitar but fine mix of song for his 45 minute set. Glacier, queen of Denmark, sigourney weaver, I hate this town

Elbow set was a best of set ending with a 2 song encore composing of the duet with John grant and probably their most popular song, one day like this.

Last edited:
King Gizzard
I bought tickets ages ago, but not right when they came out because I didn't think anyone else had heard of what I thought was an obscure Australian psych band with a silly name. Only option was upper circle.

Got there at 8.00, halfway through the support band's uninspiring set. The only seat we could get was literally in the very last row of the entire venue.

Sound was good, Thought the band were great and when they hit it, they really hit it. Really enjoyed everything they did, but felt like I wasn't getting all of the gig. Looking at pics my mates stuck up on FB, looks like they were at a different gig entirely.

Thought it would have been a much better gig, if :
I had been way closer to the band.
I had been way more inebriated (and perhaps a full 20 years younger)
They sold merch in the upper circle.
They sold something else than Cute Hoor, Heino and Orchard Thieves at the bar.

Ending on jazz noodling was a disappointment. Assumed they would come out with 3 or 4 bangers and tear the place down.

Nils Frahm, who I am a fan of.

Tedious, boring bullshit. The only thing that kept me there for the duration was the fact taht ti was cold and I was giving my friend a lift home.
Ha, ah no way I loved it. Some real moments of magic.

I enjoyed it a lot. Given the surroundings I would have preferred more solo piano and for him to have kept the banging electronics for a huge outdoor Soundsystem at Primavera but that's a minor complaint.

My major complaint was the woman sitting to my right who was screaming her appreciation between every track - full-on 100+ db about 2 feet from my ear. Fucks sake. I haven't survived years and years of loud gigs to finally get tinnitus from that.

My major complaint was the woman sitting to my right who was screaming her appreciation between every track - full-on 100+ db about 2 feet from my ear. Fucks sake. I haven't survived years and years of loud gigs to finally get tinnitus from that.

What was up with the woman at the end who tried to have a chat with him?

What was up with the woman at the end who tried to have a chat with him?

That was a bit mad. Was it just me or did it seem to turn serious flirting at the end?

Framn: "Please make an appointment to see me after the show and you can celebrate me all night long"

Woman: "Yes please!"

For those who were not at the show there was some context to this.

I remember being at a Roy Harper gig one time and there was this lady, probably in her 60s, sitting right in the front row with her adult son. She kept shouting out that Roy was the father of the son and everyone was very amused, including RH. He probably had no idea if it was true or not.

/random gig anecdote over

I was at wyvern lingo in the spirit store tonight.

I thought they put on a really good show. Very good performance but they showed a bit of variety in the show and the work they put into it really pays off. They left the stage at one bit to show a 4 minute animated video that had been the influence of a song.

I think it was the first dundalk show I saw with using the big screen.

I enjoyed it.

I was at two Spectrum related gigs over the weekend -
Friday: Snowpoet and Sons of Kemet in that awful venue below the Mezz bar.
both bands were great. If you'd told me a guy with a Tuba could produce seriously funky, danceable riffs on said instrument, I'd have thought you were off your nut.
Saturday - Catherine Sikora/Brian Chase and Thunderblender at Fumbally Stables.
Another great pairing - a bit more off centre, improvy than the previous night. Brian Chase is the drummer with The Yeah Yeah Yeah's; he was doing an improv set with Catherine Sikora who plays sax, and they were blinding; great to watch.
A Jazztastic weekend of music.

Paul Draper at the Workmans; he did a set of his solo stuff, took a quick break and then came back and did Attack of the Grey Lantern. A strange mixture of amusement, bemusement, pride and gratefulness from him. Good fun all told although he wasn't even trying to sing some of the high notes. Full of lads reliving their youth but not much representation from the melody-maker goth side of their fanbase.

Be glad you didn't get this shambles

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I was at two Spectrum related gigs over the weekend -
Friday: Snowpoet and Sons of Kemet in that awful venue below the Mezz bar.
both bands were great. If you'd told me a guy with a Tuba could produce seriously funky, danceable riffs on said instrument, I'd have thought you were off your nut.
Saturday - Catherine Sikora/Brian Chase and Thunderblender at Fumbally Stables.
Another great pairing - a bit more off centre, improvy than the previous night. Brian Chase is the drummer with The Yeah Yeah Yeah's; he was doing an improv set with Catherine Sikora who plays sax, and they were blinding; great to watch.
A Jazztastic weekend of music.

thought Snowpoet blew Sons of Kemet out of the water.
lovely performance
felt Sons of Kemet were a bit deflated. tuba lad was great but overall i reckon they destroyed themselves up in Letterkenny the previous night and the journey down also didnt help them id imagine

thought Snowpoet blew Sons of Kemet out of the water.
lovely performance
felt Sons of Kemet were a bit deflated. tuba lad was great but overall i reckon they destroyed themselves up in Letterkenny the previous night and the journey down also didnt help them id imagine
I hadn't seen Sons of Kemet before, but i thought they were terrific; I certainlly didn't notice any fatigue. They had sound issues to begin with and they seemed unhappy but they settled down and I think got into their groove eventually.
The venue was terrible and the loud constant chat from gig wankers didn't help either.

Users who are viewing this thread

• rettucs
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back