What gig did you go to last night? (5 Viewers)

The Trooper is the only Maiden song that is essential, otherwise I'm happy for them to mix it up. Though I absolutely love The Wicker Man too.

I got a little teary eyed during Blood Brothers, a song I wouldn't have really rated on the Brave New World album. That might have been the beer kicking in though.

I got a little teary eyed during Blood Brothers, a song I wouldn't have really rated on the Brave New World album. That might have been the beer kicking in though.
I know what you mean. It's kind of schmaltzy on the record but makes far more sense played live in a venue filled with thousands of metal fans singing together in solidarity.

Absolutely

We were all this guy
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Damn, I should have gone. I haven't seen Maiden since The Point (No Prayer For The Dying). Actually I think that is the only time I've seen them. Bruce was moping around the stage, no fucks given.

Damn, I should have gone. I haven't seen Maiden since The Point (No Prayer For The Dying). Actually I think that is the only time I've seen them. Bruce was moping around the stage, no fucks given.
He was in great from the other night. Racing around like a man half his age.Even having a laugh by knocking Adrian's mike away from him as he was trying to sing backing vocals. The monkey suit and free bananas for all was a nice touch.

He was in great from the other night. Racing around like a man half his age.Even having a laugh by knocking Adrian's mike away from him as he was trying to sing backing vocals. The monkey suit and free bananas for all was a nice touch.

dont know what this is - googled it...

Attachments

• monkeysuit.png
    monkeysuit.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 43
Cherry Glazer in Whelans. I had mixed feelings about going to this. They put out a nice little album in January that I'm very fond of and was initially happy they were due to come here. Then I heard them do a live set on BBC radio and they were both dreadful, and came across as juvenile arseholes. So, expectations weren't high for the gig.
I dunno though. They're decent musicians. They're just kids. But the gig just wasn't good. The main singer can't carry the songs live at all. She seemed off her head on something (redbull they said).
I suppose it wasn't as bad as I expected. Still not great though. It wasn't bad enough to put me off listening to their album again. That still sounds great this morning.
Small enough crowd there too. I thought the kidz would love these.

Cherry Glazer in Whelans. I had mixed feelings about going to this. They put out a nice little album in January that I'm very fond of and was initially happy they were due to come here. Then I heard them do a live set on BBC radio and they were both dreadful, and came across as juvenile arseholes. So, expectations weren't high for the gig.
I dunno though. They're decent musicians. They're just kids. But the gig just wasn't good. The main singer can't carry the songs live at all. She seemed off her head on something (redbull they said).
I suppose it wasn't as bad as I expected. Still not great though. It wasn't bad enough to put me off listening to their album again. That still sounds great this morning.
Small enough crowd there too. I thought the kidz would love these.
I was tempted to go to this but blanked it at the last minute coz I didn't really know enough of their stuff to justify it. Seems like I made the right call, might have been a night for the students of a Tuesday by the sound of it.

Bob Dylan and his band - Three Arena/Point

What a horrible venue. Outside of the room it is like a dark cinema/airport, or a night time aviva stadium. People walking to their seats with disgusting food. Last night at least the sound was quite toppy and harsh. Boiling hot. Rotten seats. People everywhere. Fucking miles away from the stage.

But then 30 minutes later you are in the same room as Dylan and he's singing Don't Think Twice It's All Right and you feel like having a little cry in happiness. Then he plays Highway 61 Revisited.

Absolutely pure class. His vocal melodies delivering some of those old famous lines is hilarious. The man is a boss. Tasteful setlist, tasteful band. Moving from rock n roll, to crooning, to boogie. Everything totally authentic. Didn't say a single word outside of the songs. They just walked off after the final song of main set in the dark. After the encore they at least stood in the spotlight for a few seconds to let us know it was over, Bob center stage, hands on hips. Can't believe I waited so long to see him.

Setlist album count:

2006 Modern Times: 2
1963 The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan: 2
1965 Highway 61 Revisited: 3
2009 Together Through Life: 1
2015 Shadow in the Night: 2
2012 Tempest: 5
2016 Fallen Angels: 3
2017 Triplicate: 1
1975 Blood on the Tracks: 1
1997 Time out of Mind: 1

I did not expect to enjoy it so much. I put a bit of effort in, checked the previous sets, revised up on some of the newer material. Songs like Things Have Changed and Duquesne Whistle I have never heard, and they are complete belters.

So delighted I went.

Now I need to tick Bjork and Superchunk off the list.

Polish black metal band Batushka. Great show. I loved all the (sac)religious trappings. Barefoot masked band members in cloaks adorned with religious symbols.Great baritone vocal choir, eight string guitars tuned all the way down. They even use the altar doohickeys; bells and clapper things as instruments. It's been a while since I was caught in a mosh. Great crack apart from the angry joyless cunts fighting everyone off with their elbows. If you don't like people moshing, move out of the fucking way.
batushka_1.jpg batushka_2.jpg

Actually, I could be wrong about this. Was there last night and didn't see any. Though I did go to the loo no-one seems to know about.

Ani Difranco in Vicar st.
This was fantastic. Front row seats. Great set list that spanned her career. The first half was the classic three-piece and sounded like "living in clip" era stuff. Then the support band joined and things got funky and loose (but still tight af) like the whole "evolve" era.
The only downer was that it was seated and that the balcony was curtained off which lead to a quiet polite audience who only came to life at the last song where people stood up.
This was probably by 8th time seeing her in concert and it was up there with the best musically. Vibewise, not so much.

also, that drummer, wow!

I went to Greenday last night. It was fun but went on a little too long. When Billie Joe came on to do his acoustic bit one of my mates ended up shouting out "Jesus, how long is this going to go on for? Was there ever a time before this concert. I can't remember any more"

Rancid were good fun, new stuff sounded deadly

Glad you enjoyed it. My mates were posting photos on facebook of them standing in the rain with plastic beer glasses and I just thought "no"

I don't really like Rancid in anyways but I was told that they were going to do some Op Ivy songs which is why I went along, but they didn't do any. Green Day did a cover of Knowledge but it was absolutely fucking dreadful and I left soon after. The crowd were singing Hey Jude as I was leaving, don't know what that was all about. But I had a good time because I don't get out much and thankfully didn't pay in so that helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back