what ever happened to freesheets? (2 Viewers)

Helium bong used to slag the bloke out of gearhead nation a lot no? He lives around the corner from me. I think shit that is really not right-on is amazing though and I loved that zine from a young age.

Finbar? Cos Derek lives in France now does he not?

Fact: Derek Byrne was probably the angriest person I've ever met in real life.

And coming from me, that's saying something.

That site was done completely by this girl called Lydia.
She actually typed out each issue herself, designed the whole site and posted me a copy on floppy with a little note asking for permission to put it on the web.
My mind was blown, especially because I could have sent her the whole issues by email.
This was back in 97/98 I think. There's three issues missing though.

What, stick a dick up my hole and shove another in my mouth?
That's not on.

Fresh! !baggyyyy

That site was done completely by this girl called Lydia.
She actually typed out each issue herself, designed the whole site and posted me a copy on floppy with a little note asking for permission to put it on the web.
My mind was blown, especially because I could have sent her the whole issues by email.
This was back in 97/98 I think. There's three issues missing though.

What a lazy bitch...

you should've seen my zines

Tom, you back from Poland (and the US)? I'm up in Berlin this weekend if you fancy a beer?

Oly said:
The Idiots Guide To Bringing Out A Hated Freesheet

Walk to sofa in living room and stick hand down the side. You should find an ice-pop stick, a dirty Polo Mint and a few coins. Look at coins. Put coins in pocket. Head down to newsagent/supermarket. Walk to coffee shelf. Grab as much coffee as you can. Run out of newsagent/supermarket. Throw coins at people attempting to stop you. Aim for eyes or temple. Remember not to walk past newsagent/supermarket for next 6 months. Once home, eat coffee. Think of name for freesheet - Must consist of at least two words which must be completely unrelated. Eat more coffee. Go to bedroom. Grab out old collection of fanzines from behind the the HIFI. Look at the most popular fanzine. Slag it. Repeat. Pick up pen pen and write down on clean sheet of paper what you said about fanzine. Walk upstairs. Throw empty coffee jars at passers by. Chuckle to yourself. Walk back to bedroom.
Pick up newspaper used for birdcage or toilet trainers for pet dog. Look for article on people worse off than you. Slag them. Repeat. Write down, as with fanzine. (Note, for added effect, include names and addresses of fanzine writers.) Stick slags together on piece of paper, with name of freesheet you came up with earlier. Photocopy in Reads of Nassau St. Calmly walk to counter. Pay. Distribute in Borderline, Tower Records, Comet, The Payback & Freebird Records respectively as this is the shortest & most efficent route. Should you have enough time, leave a few copies in GOD, but not too many as people tend to just read the fanzines and not keep them. Catch bus home. Sleep. Dream of coffee. Wake up and answer mail. When replying, explain that you are not a fascist. Should letter writer state that your piece of work is not worth the amount of animals and workers it exploited, point out to said letter writer that they stimulate the genitalia of fluffy mammals with their big toe. Burn mail. Chew on coffee lid. Repeat procedure one month later.
Always remember!!!1) There can *never* be too many swear words
2) Find out what really gets people worked up, then print it en masse every issue
3) It's YOUR freesheet, not the critics'! Put in whatever the hell you want!
4) Slag (Or attempt to slag) any fanzine who gives you a bad review
5) Apologise profusely to people you slagged after they give you a good review
6) Never get a girlfriend, as doing so will inevitably interupt your -*ahem*- 'creativity'
7) Get as many people to write for you as you can,, so you don't take all of the blame when your zine/sheet gets a bad name
8) Whoever invented deadlines was clearly not a fanzine writer
9) Give up a chunk of your social life to get it all finished

Few tips from the *ahem* master

helium bong eh?

picked up a few of those on my record raids to dublin years ago.

always thought gearhead nation was the best suited to my needs.

i might do a freesheet myself. but i'd charge people for it.

Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar

Fuk, I love MM. Portrait of an American Family was f**king amazing, Smells like Children was confusing and this is just orgasmic. Well, it is if you suffer from Premature Ejaculation. MM seem to be in love with the idea of worms, don't ask me why... they just go on and on about them. The first track is a tad annoying with it's crowd chanting going on for half a minute. Ya have to fast forward it unless ya want to here the repetitive 'YEEEEHHHHHH!!!! GO GO GOOOO' for 30 seconds. After that though, it's fucking excellent. 'Irresponsible Hate Anthem' is my idea of 90s punk if it hadn't existed at all and this is it's first appearance, if you know what I mean. (Probably not) 'Angel with scabbed wings' would have to be one of my favourite tracks of all time, kinda thrashy, noisey, slight tint of industrial in it. Well it would... having Trent Reznor (I worship this bloke. Off NIN) as the producer and all. '1996' is pretty good too, telling us all that we're all pretty much Anti everything and it doesn't matter how many things we hate, everything else hates us too. Thought provoking stuff on this album (Apart from the worm bits) especially on the last track, which I think is awesome lyrically. Anyway. If ya like NIN but with less keyboards and a bit more live drums, then you'll love MM.

Korn - Life is Peachy
A bit disappointing in my opinion. Their first album was entangled in anger and emotion, and this incarnation just seems to be a sales ploy by Sony for the kids who liked the 'growling and screaming'. It just seems to be all the tracks that didn't make it into the first album. First track 'Twist' is just a kinda voice rehersal for him. Just going a bit psycho. There's a rap track in it (Wicked) which I thought was pretty good, but I'm sure most Korn fans won't. It even has a f**king cover of the track off the Marmite ads - 'Low Rider'. Even the titles have less of the teenage angst and anger that appeared in the first album... 'Good God' 'Mr. Rogers' and 'A.D.I.D.A.S.' (All day I dream about sex) are just pathetic. I saw them live over the summer, and I thought they were sh*te. I couldn't make out any of the songs at all. Of all the bands out there, Korn seems to be the most stereotypical example of selling out. Kids want big thrashy guitars and growling vocals... Sony finds Korn. Sony are happy. Korn are happy with big pay cheque. Korn make good songs. After a while, Sony want more songs. Korn are a bit empty creatively and probably knackered from touring. This is the result. Half arsed and nowhere near as good. It's a pity. They are capable of a shitload more, and this is just a cash in on their previous work.

WOW.

That's a fairly accurate Korn review. That album was a bit of a letdown and the sound at their (very fucking short) sfx gig was muck.

Marilyn Manson wasn't well known at all at the time, I'm still quite fond of that album.
Korn broke my heart.
I stand by everything I said when I was 15.
Everything.

Poor oul Susan though.

edit:I just remembered I had a freephone number mailbox thing I hacked into for the first couple of issues where people left messages for me.
Hilarious results until the plug was pulled.

That's a fairly accurate Korn review. That album was a bit of a letdown and the sound at their (very fucking short) sfx gig was muck.

i was at that.

i loved the sound of their guitars on the first album.

Yeh, when that first album came out...
those guitars just sounded like hell collapsing in on itself.
Now it just reminds me of ex-girlfriends and the Junior Cert.

just came across this weird video while on an internet search tangent related to music that reminds me of school

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

it's a video some random guy made

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back