Water Charges (1 Viewer)

They did it in the Simpsons, didn't they?

Didn't Bart start some hack essay like "Websters defines....." which was a warning that it was shit.

I thought it was Homer's desperation at running a night course on relationships:
"Webster's Dictionary defines a wedding as the process of removing weeds from one's garden"

I reckon we should have our independence taken off us and given to Scotland because we have no fucking clue how to run a country.

How in the name of jaysus do the govt think what they announced today is gonna wash with people?

Also, someone correct me on this if anything here is wrong.

1. Enda Kenny mentioned that the cost of water charges will be less than what people will save in tax cuts next year.

2. When the troika said that we needed to tax water they gave the option to the Irish govt on how to do it. One option was not to tax it directly but rather, redirect it from other parts of the tax take.

3. Given 1 and 2 above, the govt could have said nothing about anything to do with water charges, just not made any tax cuts, and redirect whatever funds were slated to be lost by those tax cuts. That way there'd be no Irish Water and no world of absolute shit that they've created.

Am I missing something here?

Has anyone considered the tin foil hat theory that enda & co are in a bind that FF tied, and as regards their jobs they have to stick with it, and in that case the only way they can kill it is by making it so unpopular it dies of natural causes?

The chance to reward politicians friends with a position on a well paid state board with seemingly* guaranteed bonuses just for showing up to work?

*They've had to defer them for a few years.

I'm not sure they can kill it without losing more legitimacy. They didn't have to introduce water charges but now that they have their essentially stuck with it.

Minister for Environment Alan Kelly walked out on debate about water charges.

Leaving just four government representatives on the benches of the Dáil to face the entire opposition, Kelly, the Taoiseach and Tánaiste all left while the Fianna Fáil spokesperson Barry Cowen was beginning his questioning of the Minister. Then they left and the Dáil was suspended.

Reports also that hundreds of cops are circulating inside and outside Leinster House as protests build.

Good read, I've long liked Clonan.
I think the problem with the Gardai is one of incompetence more than anything. They're either absent from a situation in sufficent numbers to exercise control or else they're wading in pushing/beating everyone in sight.
While its an admirable aspect of our system that politicians are readily accessible to the public this may need to be reconsidered if the guards can't control that access while ensuring the protection of the politician and the rights of the individual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back