vaccinations and injections for tropical diseases etc. (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter plug
  • Start date
  • Replies 89
  • Views 17K
  • Watchers 6
im going to ghana in feb and hope to make my way up through burkina faso, mali, senegal, mauritania and get a cheapo ryanair flight back from marrakesh around may, then new zealand. maybe i might nip into togo, benin, niger, the gambia or guinea while im in the area, i dunno. havent booked me flight yet though. starting to get a bit nervous about it now actually :/

how much have people paid for the rabies vaccine? The doctor told me its €400 - €500 and only recommended if your going to be over 48 hours from a hospital, and that the meningitis one is only 30% effective and that theyre both a bit of a money-making rip off racket...

also, with the rabies one i think its not just that it buys you a bit of extra time to get treatment but also if you do get bitten and you've had the jabs then the treatment isnt as severe and you dont have to get the stuff thats made out of blood which you do have to get if you havent had the jabs.

I got my rabies jabs in that tropical disease bureau place, three jabs for e25 each.

Was talking to this ozzie guy on a bus the other day who's working for a NGO that does human rights work in burma. He said a mate of his got malaria when he was "out in the field". The burmese lads were telling him that they treated him the burmese way - "we get fresh shit from a mule, then we feed lemons to a monkey and while he's digesting them, we kill him and cut out the lemons. We mix the partially digested lemons with the fresh shit and some coconut milk to make a curry, and you eat it for a few days and no more malaria". They guy says "crikey, how does it taste?". Burmese guy says "It's very very tasty. But it smells bad. From the shit.".

We mix the partially digested lemons with the fresh shit and some coconut milk to make a curry, and you eat it for a few days and no more malaria.

Well, you still have malaria but somehow it now doesn't seem to be the worst thing ever.

Hi guyze.

Maybe it's been mentioned on the thread, but I just wanted to say:

HOT BEEF INJECTION.

Also, if you want a cheap alternative to an innoculation, CitySickness showed me where you can find some junkie needles. You're bound to catch something off them things, even if it's just some kind of undefined vein rot.

Once again:

HOT BEEF INJECTION.

I kind of hope (as in, I fear) that there is a sleazy doctor somewhere that has a sign on his wall that says something like:

Measles/Mumps/Rubella -- €100
Flu shot -- €50
Etc.
Hot Beef Injection -- no charge

Where was I? Junkie beef injection? I don't know. Can I go home now?

Think it's only the cheapy ones that cause that. When I was getting jabs and shit they said something along the lines of "these ones are cheaper, but can cause terrifying nightmares".

A lad I knew was on the Malaria meds and sleeping at altitude on the side of Kilimanjaro, and he went off his rocker completely.
It was hilarious. He started giving out about nig-nogs trying to get him, and had a concerted go at killing someone in the tent over from his.

I think that was his last mountaineering exploit.
Previous to that, I more or less dragged him off a mountain exhausted because he wanted to wear his unbelievably heavy ice climbing boots, even though we were walking in snow, and he wanted to do "the hard peak" with me. And also he wouldnt put his gloves on because his "hands were too cold".

Previous to that he had a temper tantrum because he couldn't climb a grade I had lead up, and stormed off home leaving me on the side of a cliff.

Previous to that he wanted to call air sea rescue out because we got slightly lost in Scotland for five minutes. "This is how people DIE man!"

He was a fucking tool.
He is Gardai Siochana finest now. Unsurprisingly enough.

Enjoy your malaria!

You could always try this
_44315534_cucumber_cred203.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7155398.stm

don't all shout at me now but forget paying 200+ for jabs. i got some homeopathic stuff for malaria/tetanus/hep/typhoid etc. for 30e, no side effects no long term shit and they do the same job. also got some stuff called citracidal that i've taken before in c. america and pretty much guarantees you won't get any kind of stomach bug.

(emma not moose)

I'm not shouting .. honest ...... but .... homeopathic remedies to protect against Hepatitus? Typhoid? Good Christ ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back