utv broadand (1 Viewer)

Are people still happy with UTV or is it still going up and down? Anyone else had good/bad experiences with any other companies??

I've had mine about two months and it's never given me any grief at all.
Has slowed down to about 8k/sec once or twice, but yo, at least it's not dialup.

its been fine for me, for the most part.

the only thing that niggles is that my brothers utv connection, out in blackrock, is generally faster than mine is in town. must be contention or something but its irksome.

btw, it seems to be that if you want broadband for serious network gaming you should avoid utv, their pings are supposedly not great, whereas Esats are the best, i think.

check the broadband page on boards.ie for better info

Robbie Analog said:
Are people still happy with UTV or is it still going up and down? Anyone else had good/bad experiences with any other companies??
I've been trying to get the eircom\esat service for two years without any luck. We started getting ads through the post a few months back saying that NTL's service was now in our area. I didn't really want to get it due to the horror stories I'd heard from people in work about their customer service. But a few weeks ago I decided that I had no other option and I phoned to enquire. The first thing they did was check the computer to see if it was in my area. After they saw it was, I made an appointment for them to come out and install the system. The two blokes arrived on a Saturday afternoon. They had to install another TV point in my bedroom, which meant they had to run a cable from the box outside and drill through the front wall of the house. They set up the tv point and then connected the modem. It was then that they noticed something was up. The leds on the modem wern't coming on correctly so one of them said my signal wasn't strong enough and that somebody would have to come out on Monday to install an amp on the box outside. They would then have to come back to install the modem (why? this is piss easy). A week later (last Friday) another bloke came to check the signal. All he did was put a scope on the new tv point. He then said that my signal was perfect and that the other two must have made a mistake. Just before he left, I asked him if he was sure if broadband was actually available in this area. He said yeah it's available all over Crumlin but just to be sure he would check the box at the end of the road. He came back 10 minutes later and said that the box was missing a component needed for broadband, and that a team would have to come back on Monday to fix it. They would then call to arrange another appointment for the modem install. Today we got a call from them saying that after looking at the box at the end of the road, they now realise that Broadband is not actually available in my area. Oh and they have no idea when it will be. So I am left with a new cable coming into the bedroom that is of no use for the internet. Going by their reputation, I am expecting a bill for either broadband or a second tv point in the coming months. My only other option is this wireless crowd Irish broadband. I was thinking of trying that ripwave thing they have but don't know if it is of any use. Anyone tried it?

Wayne said:
I've been trying to get the eircom\esat service for two years without any luck. We started getting ads through the post a few months back saying that NTL's service was now in our area. I didn't really want to get it due to the horror stories I'd heard from people in work about their customer service. But a few weeks ago I decided that I had no other option and I phoned to enquire. The first thing they did was check the computer to see if it was in my area. After they saw it was, I made an appointment for them to come out and install the system. The two blokes arrived on a Saturday afternoon. They had to install another TV point in my bedroom, which meant they had to run a cable from the box outside and drill through the front wall of the house. They set up the tv point and then connected the modem. It was then that they noticed something was up. The leds on the modem wern't coming on correctly so one of them said my signal wasn't strong enough and that somebody would have to come out on Monday to install an amp on the box outside. They would then have to come back to install the modem (why? this is piss easy). A week later (last Friday) another bloke came to check the signal. All he did was put a scope on the new tv point. He then said that my signal was perfect and that the other two must have made a mistake. Just before he left, I asked him if he was sure if broadband was actually available in this area. He said yeah it's available all over Crumlin but just to be sure he would check the box at the end of the road. He came back 10 minutes later and said that the box was missing a component needed for broadband, and that a team would have to come back on Monday to fix it. They would then call to arrange another appointment for the modem install. Today we got a call from them saying that after looking at the box at the end of the road, they now realise that Broadband is not actually available in my area. Oh and they have no idea when it will be. So I am left with a new cable coming into the bedroom that is of no use for the internet. Going by their reputation, I am expecting a bill for either broadband or a second tv point in the coming months. My only other option is this wireless crowd Irish broadband. I was thinking of trying that ripwave thing they have but don't know if it is of any use. Anyone tried it?

I'm in crumlin as well and got NTL Brdbn in and i have had no probs with it

except:
I cannot get out via USB on anything ( I have a few boxs ) but can get out via Ethernet but only a win2k box.
I'm in the IT game and nerdy when it come's to computer boxs and all my fellow nerds are also at a loss to indentify where the problem lies. Rang their customer support. Waste of time to say the least. They tried to blame it on missing dlls? Anyway a buddy of mine is getting NTL on friday in crumlin so will update this. The wireless crowd are sticking up an ariel soon at the top of crumlin and depending on contention the reports I have heard are that its top class.

Wayne said:
I was thinking of trying that ripwave thing they have but don't know if it is of any use. Anyone tried it?

I tried it but couldn't get a signal. A real pain since I don't have a phone line and my NTL box is not supported for cable dsl. I live in portobello. My flat is totally enclosed by walls/houses. I will say this much for Irish Broadband though, they were good customer-service-wise. I got decent tech support when I was trying it. I just sent back the ripwave modem and was refunded no questions asked. There was a long wait to get the modem though because of demand. It's only €30/month, that's the other thing about it...

Napalm said:
I'm in crumlin as well and got NTL Brdbn in and i have had no probs with it
Yeah I know. It is supposed to be available here. The only thing I can think of is that the box was never upgraded and they now don't think it is worth the hassle doing it for just one customer on the road. I got some help from the people on the Ireland Offline board: email addresses of NTL managers to send a complaint to. So I'll see how that goes. Then If there's no joy, I'll try out Ripwave. Let me know how your mate gets on with NTL.

Napalm said:
except:
I cannot get out via USB on anything ( I have a few boxs ) but can get out via Ethernet but only a win2k box.
I'm in the IT game and nerdy when it come's to computer boxs and all my fellow nerds are also at a loss to indentify where the problem lies. Rang their customer support. Waste of time to say the least. They tried to blame it on missing dlls? Anyway a buddy of mine is getting NTL on friday in crumlin so will update this. The wireless crowd are sticking up an ariel soon at the top of crumlin and depending on contention the reports I have heard are that its top class.
That's strange. You should be able to use the ethernet connection with any OS that is set up with a dhclient (windows\mac\linux). I actually prefer that to the usb method as I find usb to be dodgy when it comes to net devices. The usb drivers might be setting the system up to use a com port that is used by something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back