Ticketmaster/MCD are not very nice (2 Viewers)

GORILLAMUNCH said:
clear channel/live nation bought out the temple which is why there are no punk gigs there anymore

the bastards, that was a great place. down with this sort of thing.

brutus said:
the cocksucker of satan behind the desk of ticketmaster opp me says its 27.95 ....

I totally agree with all youve said except this bit.

Especially feel sorry for the poor sods stuck in the small box in Stephens Green. Mcdonalds must look prospectively better.

true they should look for a transfer to jervis so they can work with the ronseal coloured scanger with the low cut tops who works there,shes like victoria beckham ver 2.0

tart.

Originally Posted by brutus
the cocksucker of satan behind the desk of ticketmaster opp me says its 27.95 ....

I said that for effect.......I pity him too, but he should know better,

Its amazing how much money they make off us and the people playing > Glad some one said it. Its even worse on a local level where you have a band play at a venue and have to pay a extremely high fee to play a gig, the door opens say 9 then the owners take the door @ 1030 so you are stuck with paying the club in 1 hour and half then not to mention the posters and everything else. its you who bring in people to buy there beer they should be paying you or at least making it easier .

Anyone have any idea on what can be done?

Boycotting is all well and good, but if you truly want to catch a gig, it's not comfortable. Trying to buy on the door means you'll only get to gigs that aren't already sold out at that stage.

McWilliams in his book "The Pope's Children" says that there is "no price sensitivity" to the cost of tickets for events in Ireland, so the price goes up and up.

We can support the likes of tickets.ie or buy our tickets in Road Records etc... but surely this doesn't undermine the likes of Ticketmaster as they have their affilations with venues, and so it will likely continue, as it's a comfortable marriage. (And if you wanna catch a gig in say the Ambassador, and it's likely to sell out in advance, it's Ticketmaster or no-one, right?)

So, I repeat - is there anything that one can do to break the monopoly, and the exorbitant charges?

Protest at gigs, and outside shops when tickets go on sale for big events (slane etc)... the media are usually there.
Ah fuck it... who am i kidding.

wrafter said:
Anyone have any idea on what can be done?

Boycotting is all well and good, but if you truly want to catch a gig, it's not comfortable. Trying to buy on the door means you'll only get to gigs that aren't already sold out at that stage.

McWilliams in his book "The Pope's Children" says that there is "no price sensitivity" to the cost of tickets for events in Ireland, so the price goes up and up.

We can support the likes of tickets.ie or buy our tickets in Road Records etc... but surely this doesn't undermine the likes of Ticketmaster as they have their affilations with venues, and so it will likely continue, as it's a comfortable marriage. (And if you wanna catch a gig in say the Ambassador, and it's likely to sell out in advance, it's Ticketmaster or no-one, right?)

So, I repeat - is there anything that one can do to break the monopoly, and the exorbitant charges?

its a really complex issue. First off, dont forget that it is the ACT who sets the ticket price. yes, they do it in conjunction with the promoter but the act and their management/agent has the final say. they come to ireland, the demand a certain fee and their contract with the promoter will stipulate the ticket price. this is all agreed in advance and is based on their costs in ireland (hotels, transport etc) and what they think they can get away with. I'm sure this is something that Fin O'Leary from MCD or Declan Forde from the POD (who both post here) know all about.

The main promoters use Ticketemperor because it's a no-brainer. Ticketbastard sell the tickets, charge a fee for it (which the promoter doesnt have to worry about because his calculations are based on the money he will be getting back) and give the promoter one big cheque at the end. The promoter doesnt have to be dealing with loads of different sales agents or ticket booths and doesnt get stung because Ticketfuhrer are a big multinational concern and are unlikely to do an Enron (well....)

There is no way round these charges unless the promoters change tact (highly unlikely methinks cos they are lazy fucks and are incredibly pally with the ticketpotato people here in ireland) or - far more probable - tickettyrant are forced by law to change their charges policy.

while a small booking fee is understandable (even Tickettrouble have to put food on the table), its all the extra charges that drive everyone crazy. surely in this day and age when the majority of people buying tix use credit cards, a company charging an extra premium for this is both obscene and against every kind of consumer law? thats where the changes can be - and should be - made.

Dont forget the amount of money Ticketmaster will make on interest from the bank before the event happens. Agents have to pay Ticketmaster on a weekly basis(to make sure that no one but them can make any money on interest). I'm sure some fees have to be paid well before the event happens, but most promoters would not get paid until the day of the show.
So lets say someone like the Eagles who are playing two shows at Landsdowne road. Thats about 80'000 tickets at an average price of about €85.00. About 6.5 million in the bank for about 6 months.... some events go on sale about 8 to 10 months in advance before they happen. Now, i'm not great with the old bankin' and interest rates but i'm sure they are makeing a few bob (go on, someone work it out). So just imagine the money (full price of ticket excluding agency fee) from some events like The Eagles, Robbie Williams, Metallica, G'N'R, Electric Picnic, Oxegen....... and so on in Ticketmasters bank account for months and months.

Rimbaud said:
So you still working in their office then?

No, i work in a record store that is also an agent for Ticketmaster.... its great, guestlist for any mcd/aiken event in Ireland and back stage passes for any gig i want.

Get me some Brian Jonestown massacre thingys then!
Theres a bunch of these threads on thumped already....goin back to my young days as a thumper...what brainiac thought this news to us to start another borin thread?!?

2 cool 2 dance said:
Dont forget the amount of money Ticketmaster will make on interest from the bank before the event happens. Agents have to pay Ticketmaster on a weekly basis(to make sure that no one but them can make any money on interest). I'm sure some fees have to be paid well before the event happens, but most promoters would not get paid until the day of the show.
So lets say someone like the Eagles who are playing two shows at Landsdowne road. Thats about 80'000 tickets at an average price of about €85.00. About 6.5 million in the bank for about 6 months.... some events go on sale about 8 to 10 months in advance before they happen. Now, i'm not great with the old bankin' and interest rates but i'm sure they are makeing a few bob (go on, someone work it out). So just imagine the money (full price of ticket excluding agency fee) from some events like The Eagles, Robbie Williams, Metallica, G'N'R, Electric Picnic, Oxegen....... and so on in Ticketmasters bank account for months and months.

They'd probably earn 2% interest if the funds are on deposit.

Rimbaud said:
Get me some Brian Jonestown massacre thingys then!
Theres a bunch of these threads on thumped already....goin back to my young days as a thumper...what brainiac thought this news to us to start another borin thread?!?

wish i could get backstage at the hell freezes over II tour.|..|

Things must Change! I do like the idea of some kind of protest. Pearl Jam had started using strange out of the way venues , just to beat Ticketmaster. More of this is good!

We could burn down the point or something big and dramatic like that.

We set up our own online booking system for Roisin Dubh. The only extra charges are the bank's tranaction fees, and it's a members only thing so the tickets are at the discounted price. Took a while to get it set up, but i'd hate to deal with Ticketmaster.

Luckily for me no Punk bands are big enough to fill the Point!
Never being there in me life cept to deliver Chinese food ;]

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back