The Simpsons (3 Viewers)

i personally dont care if jokes are random and unrelated to the plot if they are actually funny. family guy has no pretentions other than comedy (be it high brow references or fart jokes), and it remains witty and inventive while the simpsons has become stale and bitter.

Yeah that's the crux of it. I actually find it kind of hostile and sneering more than anything. Its not a case of familiarity breeds contempt either, cos I can still watch the golden oldies again and again and love them just as much!

aye, the humanity has been completely drained from it. it seems like the creators dont much like their subjects, audience or product anymore, yet there is still an arrogance about them, since they are so successful that this places them above criticism. it's become a crude, heartless program: the exact opposite of what it once was.

I liked the recent Simspons gag where the dictionary definition of 'plaigarism' was a picture of Peter Griffin.

ware_jimmycorriganstatue.jpg

"Jimmy Corrigan - The Smartest Kid On Earth" by chris ware

made sometime before family guy.

My very VERY least favourite moment is at the end of that godawful Rock-Camp episode where Homer shoots Principal Skinner with flames from the stage robot thingy and shouts 'Rock'n'Roll Woohoo!'.

Rock'n'Roll Woohoo.

What the fuck kind of joke is that?:mad:

classic example of the simpsons decline in writing and this fucking annoying habit of throwing celebrity cameo's into episodes with little or no comic results.
i loved in the old episodes how they used characters as ploys to the jokes, i love how george harrison has only 2 or 3 lines in that barbershop quartet episode. michael jackson plays a fat bald guy from new jersey. it seems now that the simpsons is so self referential and devoid of any real comedy fun or satire they just seem to introduce the celebrities and its almost like a platform for them to promote themselves. "wow, pop teen sensation britney spears"
i saw that rock camp one the other day, its not bad as new episodes go which isnt saying a lot.

South Park did a pretty scathing critique of Family Guy in their cartoon wars double header. I thought it was quite funny. South Park is usually still hilarious and long may it stay so!

South Park is usually still hilarious and long may it stay so!

provided Cartman is in it

episodes that are based on the Devil, Terence and Philip or pretty much any of the other characters are nothing compared to the Cartman ones

South Park did a pretty scathing critique of Family Guy in their cartoon wars double header. I thought it was quite funny. South Park is usually still hilarious and long may it stay so!

i thought that was bollocks, to be honest. there seemed to be no point to that double episode - despite the sloppy inclusion of the danish mohammad cartoon controversy - other than "we dont like family guy, it's just random pop-culture references with no relation to the plot".

family guy is only interested in being funny (yes it is just random jokes alot of the time) albeit with a liberal left-wing stance (so south park were bound to attack it, being of a fairly right-wing viewpoint), whereas south park is so high on its soapbox these days that jokes seem to be beneath them.

what i found interesting was that those "cartoon wars" episodes had huge amounts of unfunny filler, such as the bike chase and cartman and stan fighting, and south park a few episodes later did an incredibly lame episode - "a million little fibers" - which was the sort of joke family guy might do for 20 seconds, but extended to a whole episode.

i thought that was bollocks, to be honest. there seemed to be no point to that double episode - despite the sloppy inclusion of the danish mohammad cartoon controversy - other than "we dont like family guy, it's just random pop-culture references with no relation to the plot".

family guy is only interested in being funny (yes it is just random jokes alot of the time) albeit with a liberal left-wing stance (so south park were bound to attack it, being of a fairly right-wing viewpoint), whereas south park is so high on its soapbox these days that jokes seem to be beneath them.

what i found interesting was that those "cartoon wars" episodes had huge amounts of unfunny filler, such as the bike chase and cartman and stan fighting, and south park a few episodes later did an incredibly lame episode - "a million little fibers" - which was the sort of joke family guy might do for 20 seconds, but extended to a whole episode.

But they said they like Family Guy, they just didn’t like the constant comparisons of the two no?

I thought the million little fibres was a dud too. South Park has had a preachy mostly anti-left thread running through it right from the off, it would be annoying if it weren't that some of the things that have been on the show have been so hilarious. Personally, I feel it may be losing its funniness slightly (Bloody Mary episode, Million little fibers, follow that egg were a few crap episodes of late) but I try and keep those thoughts at bay.

I didn't like the Cartoon Wars one either - could and should have been so much better. 'Cartman Sucks' was great though.

For more heavyweight intellectual Simpsons discussion:

Whose Side Is Bart Simpson On? Phill Jupitus looks at the enduring popularity of The Simpsons and asks whether the show's message is a subversive one or an endorsement of conservative values.

Listen Again here http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/pip/7edxn/

I sometimes wonder how the hell South Park has remained so popular. Not because it's bad, but because some of the episodes are so bloody weird. Has anyone seen that one with the headlice? what the hell was that all about?

I sometimes wonder how the hell South Park has remained so popular. Not because it's bad, but because some of the episodes are so bloody weird. Has anyone seen that one with the headlice? what the hell was that all about?

headlice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back