The Simpsons (2 Viewers)

Some of the writers on The Simpsons don't like Ireland. Ireland and the Irish have been described in cruder, uglier and ever more unfunny stereotypical caricatures as the show has progressed. They've even made oblique references to the Limerick Pogroms, something about all the "Irish being driven out of Springfield in 1904" which was the year of the anti-Jewish pogrom in Limerick. Very very weird thing to reference.

I dunno if they don’t like Ireland (or have any opinion), they just seem to think that these sorts of jokes are funny, when they’re not. Like I said, throwing in an accent doesn’t make things funny. They insult me as someone who likes to laugh, not as an Irishman.
As for the other stuff, I dunno, their is a lot of it, but I guess they’re trying to be post-post ironic and/or current and hip, or something, but it just doesn’t work.

I dunno if they don’t like Ireland (or have any opinion), they just seem to think that these sorts of jokes are funny, when they’re not. Like I said, throwing in an accent doesn’t make things funny. They insult me as someone who likes to laugh, not as an Irishman.
As for the other stuff, I dunno, their is a lot of it, but I guess they’re trying to be post-post ironic and/or current and hip, or something, but it just doesn’t work.

Yeah, it probably is just the cringe-factor at accents. The way England is portrayed in it is pretty special too...that Tony Blair, Queen Elizabeth shit..oh man, that was shocking!

Yeah, it probably is just the cringe-factor at accents. The way England is portrayed in it is pretty special too...that Tony Blair, Queen Elizabeth shit..oh man, that was shocking!
I didn’t like that either, who the hell was this Queen? What was funny about the Simpsons in those sort of situations was that they were aware of what the person was actually like. They do this with American politicians, but with the UK public figures they just made up some silly bullshit based on a 4 year olds idea of England, and then threw Homer in shouting. It was very substandard, so was so many better gags they could have had.

Man, they poke funny at plenty of nationalities/stereotypes.
It's not just the Oirish. Don't be so sensitive fellas!

Sure, The Simpsons is past it's peak but what other show has lasted for twenty plus years and maintained such a level of consistency?
And it works within a strict set-up-no characters can age/there must be resolution by the end of each 21 minute episode.
The past two series have become more satirical and less about slap-stick. Possibly a reflection on the dark days of the Bush administration. Not as LOL funny but still worth watching (the Kent Brockman/Good Night & Good Luck episode was vintage Simpsons).

But...the writing has become TOO formulaic.

Sure, The Simpsons is past it's peak but what other show has lasted for twenty plus years and maintained such a level of consistency?

but it has NOT been consistent for twenty-plus years.
Half that at the MOST.

"potatoe man" is one of the funniest things in the simpsons ever

Twas. They should have stopped there.

And it works within a strict set-up-no characters can age/there must be resolution by the end of each 21 minute episode.
The past two series have become more satirical and less about slap-stick. Possibly a reflection on the dark days of the Bush administration. Not as LOL funny but still worth watching (the Kent Brockman/Good Night & Good Luck episode was vintage Simpsons).

But...the writing has become TOO formulaic.

It's not been consistent for 20+ years.
And the satire is very hit and miss. “Come back from Iraq my wife said. Falujah’s too dangerous my wife said” – nice idea, poorly executed. There was a better punchline in that gag somewhere.
And Elmo in Guantanamo – just an excuse to use a silly voice and again be all hip and current and down.

speaking of rubbish 'topical' gags:

Did anyone think Jimbo holding a sign saying "Alien Dude, need tickets to Pearl jam" was funny?

yeah, but the irish stereotype jokes in the simpsons are just lame.
this, on the other hand, makes me laugh:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I like the Irish cop "hoiteetoiteetoi" but the Irish nuns weren't funny nor Marge's fantasy of Irish maids, nor having the leprechaun as a recurring character in "normal" episodes. Oh jesus that Gil lives with them episode was the worstest, worster than the others I've mentioned.

You could give the Simpsons the greatest Conan O'Brien written gag-laden script these days and they'd still make a shit episode out of it.

"The film opens with US punk rockers Green Day playing a gig in Springfield on a lake."

Probably sets the quality bar right there for the rest of the movie.
And they hype surrounding 10 year old cartoon penis must really make everybody want to see the film aswell.

I dunno. I'm not sure what folk expect from a twenty-one minute prime-time cartoon.

Re: the Oirish gags, a Brazilian journo at a press conference for the new movie asked what research the writers had done on the 'Brazil' episode & they admitted none-that they don't research their jokes.

Mitchum, do you really think the Simpsons has been consistently good over the years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back