The Simpsons (2 Viewers)

simpsons.jpg

Good thread.......
I too have stopped watching The Simpsons and have become an addict to South Park.
South Park imo has gone the opposite way to The Simpsons....it's got better and better......Cartman is 100% piss funny.
The episode where he spits into the supernanny was hilarious.

South Park & Family Guy are much funnier than them Simpsons these day by a fucking long shot.

Aye, Cartmans greatness is reaching critical mass. we're all very lucky to have him.

I know loads of people who still insist that the simpsons is the best thing on TV (mostly stoner slugs though). I've been struggling to articulate for ages what exactly happened to it and a lot of the previous posts here seem to hit on some of the main points. For me its when it became all self-referential and knowing and those new characters like the aggressive female boardroom stereotype came on board. The early episodes had charm and warmth and a subtle depth, most episodes from the last 8-10 years just make me think that the people writing it are smarmy cunts who have destroyed something very special and are absolutely blind to this..

marge's breasts were a low point...

so was homer smoking dope, simpsons go to africa, simpsons go to brazil, simpsons go to england, simpsons go to japan

anyone have the misfortune of watching last nights new episode on Sky One? A 24 pastiche, already done before on South Park. Risible. Absolutely Risible. The movie is gonna be a turkey....because the show is beyond salvaging

Didn't Conan O' Brian have alot to do with some of the episodes? Some of the best ones if i remember correctly.

Didn't Conan O' Brian have alot to do with some of the episodes? Some of the best ones if i remember correctly.

Yeah, he was a staff writer around the time of the Monorail episode (I think he wrote that one). They hummed and hawed a bit about letting him out of his contract to go do the talk show IIRC.

I actually love the homer stoner. Its simply funny, something the current episodes lack. It doesn't try to hard either. Kind of reminds me of the Homerbolooza episode.

ah well different strokes for differnt folks, I didnae like the homerpalooza episode either. Saw the flaming homer episode again the other day...comparing it to the new episodes is like comparing the mona lisa to latest shitty art installation by kevin sharkey

That's the main thing about The Simpsons, it's lost its subtlety. Back in the day they would reference some kind of pop culture and leave it at that whereas now it's just shoved down our throat. Also the characters have just changed so much Homer is no longer funny, Lisa is even more annoying, the minor characters have all become cliches and the plots are terrible. Back in the glory days there would be two storylines running together both of which would be well written, clever and funny but now the plot is only used as a device to introduce a celebrity or rubbish music montage.

The last decent episode I saw was the one with Krustys daughter which I've just checked was season 12 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insane_Clown_Poppy. I haven't watched it since the Gervais episode which was possibly the worst 30 minutes of my life. Although the worst episode I've ever seen it still the Tennis episode which was painfully unfunny except for the "I guess you could say I'm Iraqi" line.

I saw the trailor yesterday and didn't laugh once, the animation looks to have completley changed too, whereas once The Simpsons looked different from other cartoons now it looks like any other run of the mill Nickelodeon cartoon.

I guess I'm saying I'll be sticking with Season 2-9 DVD's along with Futurama, King of the Hill, Family Guy, American Dad and South Park.

For me its when it became all self-referential and knowing and those new characters like the aggressive female boardroom stereotype came on board.

it's always had an element of self-reflexivity, but yes, it's got to a very irritating and blatent degree. and yes, that female boardroom character is absolutely awful.

marge's breasts were a low point...

so was homer smoking dope, simpsons go to africa, simpsons go to brazil, simpsons go to england, simpsons go to japan

i enjoyed the japan one quite a bit, the others were terrible. the dope one screamed desperately of trying to pander to the simpsons' considerable "stoner" audience.

there is a particular arrogance to the program in recent years: it seems to think that because its a classic it is above criticism: the "comic book guy" character, originally amusing, has become just an excuse for the program to say "if you criticise us, you must be like this".

Whoever mentioned the Carl-Lenny homoerotic thing is right as well. That's just a ludicrous proposition. I don't think anyone other than morons ever suspected them of being gay, but then the writers had to incorporate more and more obvious nods to it in the script. Pathetic. Just another overdone in-joke on The Simpsons. In fairness to them it couldn't still be fresh after so many episodes. Its just so tragic that it hasn't been liquidated...in the words of McBain

i enjoyed the japan one quite a bit

Yeah that one was actually pretty good, just that lately it seems that one was a prototype for the tired trick of putting the characters in new environments (ie all those other countries), which rather than injecting freshness to the show merely serves to emphasise how much they have declined when they are so highlighted against an unfamiliar backgorund and unmemorable new characters. Marge has become my most hated character, her voice, and all the ludicrous plots in which she 'breaks the housewife mould' and does something ridiculous like building statues of people out of lolly sticks (anyone see that one) nearly make me want to weep tears of pain...oh my once most favouritist show in the whole universe

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back