The Simpsons (3 Viewers)

hmm - pretty much what I would have thought:

---------------------------------------------------------
Trey Parker was asked about the term "South Park Republican" in an interview for his feature film Team America: World Police, and what he thought about it:
Q: I don't know if you've heard about this, but there have been essays written about the concept of the "South Park Republican." PARKER: Yeah, we have seen that. What we're sick of—and it's getting even worse—is: you either like Michael Moore or you wanna fuckin' go overseas and shoot Iraqis. There can't be a middle ground. Basically, if you think Michael Moore's full of shit, then you are a super-Christian right-wing whatever. And we're both just pretty middle-ground guys. We find just as many things to rip on on the left as we do on the right. People on the far left and the far right are the same exact person to us. In another exchange from the same interview:
Q: You seem to feel free to roast everybody equally. PARKER: Everybody needs a good roasting. STONE: It's been pretty funny on both sides. PARKER: And it comes from an honest belief we have, which is... George Bush doesn't know what's going on. Michael Moore does not know what's going on. And Alec Baldwin definitely does not know what's going on. Basically, this shit is gigantically complicated.In an interview with Rolling Stone, they stated that the "South Park Republican" tag was a "dumb notion."

But it is definitely more right wing than left wing. They refer to themselves as libertarians which by all accounts is right of centre. There is definitely a capitalistic thread running through many episodes, the recent night of the homeless episode for instance. They reserve their most vicious satire for lefties and the lefty agenda.

i thought that was bollocks, to be honest. there seemed to be no point to that double episode - despite the sloppy inclusion of the danish mohammad cartoon controversy - other than "we dont like family guy, it's just random pop-culture references with no relation to the plot".

I don't think it was sloppy at all. The whole thing was an effort to defend freedom of speech. They did it in a slow deliberate manner to get everyone onside before pulling the jesus pooping on the flag stunt.

There was plenty of good stuff in there with people burying their heads in the sand n stuff. And they forced Comedy Central to bite the bullet and actually censor their depiction of muhammad. But then Jesus pooping on the american flag is ok? Genius. The 2-part thing made it like any long joke with a killer punch line really. I think the creators actually feel strongly about this so they made their point in as strong and obvious a way as possible.

But it is definitely more right wing than left wing. They refer to themselves as libertarians which by all accounts is right of centre. There is definitely a capitalistic thread running through many episodes, the recent night of the homeless episode for instance. They reserve their most vicious satire for lefties and the lefty agenda.

You're just saying that as a leftie, just like the Simpsons Irish thing.

South Park is about cop on lads.
Feck off with yee're right wing/left wing nonsense. That's for the birds. ARF!

headlice?

Yeah, i think it's a new one. One of the kids has headlice so they zoom in on his head and show how the headlice live, for pretty much an entire episode. It's kind of one of those things that's really funny, stops being funny, and then starts being funny again just because it's one joke for so long. Also has a deadly parody of The Thing.

You're just saying that as a leftie, just like the Simpsons Irish thing.

South Park is about cop on lads.
Feck off with yee're right wing/left wing nonsense. That's for the birds. ARF!

Nah I'm no lefty whatsoever, in fact I would empathise with most of the political points made in South Park, but sometimes preachiness pisses me off from whatever pulpit, and South Park gets preachy. Its the funniest thing on TV though. I think South park is ALL about the right wing/left wing nonsense and is about the most overtly political TV series going.

I don't think it was sloppy at all. The whole thing was an effort to defend freedom of speech. They did it in a slow deliberate manner to get everyone onside before pulling the jesus pooping on the flag stunt.

There was plenty of good stuff in there with people burying their heads in the sand n stuff. And they forced Comedy Central to bite the bullet and actually censor their depiction of muhammad. But then Jesus pooping on the american flag is ok? Genius. The 2-part thing made it like any long joke with a killer punch line really. I think the creators actually feel strongly about this so they made their point in as strong and obvious a way as possible.

I love the whole idea behind the Manatees. I just love it so much, and i'm a huge Family Guy fan.

i've definately felt a creeping suspicion that Stone and Parker were certainly leaning a rittle bit right, despite their vehement 'either everythings ok, or nothing is' stance.

Interesting...I've always thought they were ultra anti-establishment by nature, and the establishment within which they operate - the entertainment industry - is dominated by what Americans now refer to as liberals, many of whom probably try to control them. So maybe that's why they reserve the most toxic bile for them. I do know that right-winger Americans of the non-religious, non-conservative (in the traditional sense) kind do love it. And Cartman is the embodiment of these people - fat, selfish, intolerant, lazy and arrogant. (Though he is also funny, something those types of people never are.) But I've always felt that South Park was taking the piss out of these people, who were too obtuse to see the satire. Maybe not.

Interesting...I've always thought they were ultra anti-establishment by nature, and the establishment within which they operate - the entertainment industry - is dominated by what Americans now refer to as liberals, many of whom probably try to control them. So maybe that's why they reserve the most toxic bile for them.

Good point.

Anyway the important thing is that seasons 2-4 of Futurama are better than all these programs

and maybe the second half of season 1

King of the Hill is an entirely different kettle of fish.

It’s great like, but it’s different.
I’d nearly describe as more of a Texan Father Ted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back