The Simpsons (1 Viewer)

Fairplay Ernesto, I found it eventually on the US amazon, but I couldn't find it on the UK one. But you did. well done.

Have you even read the thread? We all pretty much said that we *did* love it. Until it became nothing more than celeb appearance after celeb appearance.

let's see ... found this site two days ago, 18 pages worth of comments ... no, can't say i read all of them. i skimmed a few pages in the front and at the end and all i saw was how horrible the Simpsons is now.
personally, i still love it. maybe this is because when it first came out my very religious parents wouldn't let us watch it, but i'm a big geek and like i said really looking forward to the movie. i don't think that celeb appearances harm a show, really depends on the celebs that are appearing i guess.

i have wondered though, if Groening would still be making them if it weren't for Fox. i don't know alot about the "behind the scenes" contracts/negotiations for the program and i know he slags off Fox quite a lot in the episodes of both Simpsons and Futurama. Has always made me wonder if he would have kept it going this long or if he's under some sort of contract to keep it going.

Apologies if I jumped to conclusions, but that is all i had seen of the messages. :cool:

'Simpsons' gets Irish love interest
Donald Clarke
An Irish charmer named Colin is about to set moviegoers' hearts a-flutter in one of the summer's most anticipated releases; and no, it's not that fellow from Castleknock.
Journalists attending a recent sneak preview of the first 10 minutes of The Simpsons movie, the long-awaited big-screen adaptation of the animated television series, got to see Lisa Simpson, the family's most conscientious member, swooning before a youthful ecological campaigner with red hair and a twinkly brogue.
Colin, whose lines are spoken by Maile Flanagan, an established American actress, anticipates an inevitable query from Lisa and wearily explains that he is not Bono's son.
Matt Groening, The Simpsons' creator, and Al Jean, the series' executive producer, attended the preview at London's Odeon West End cinema and spent 40 minutes chatting with fans and journalists afterwards. They were cautious about giving too much of the plot away, but explained that the film, which opens worldwide on July 27th, will see Homer Simpson, the clan's hungry paterfamilias, attempting to save the world from catastrophe and will feature a surprise vocal contribution from a very, very famous person.
"It's a romantic movie," Mr Groening said. "Homer falls in love with a pig." When asked about Colin, Mr Jean said: "That was a scene written again and again. There were a lot of incarnations before he became Irish . . . But there is a tragedy to the romance, of course, because he's Irish."
In the 19 years since The Simpsons first got their own television series, the writers have often used Irish stereotypes to comic effect. An episode set on St Patrick's Day showed the drunken Irish novelists of Springfield - a staggering James Joyce among them - joining other tipsy expatriates in a massive brawl on Springfield's main street. On another occasion, Homer gained access to the backstage area of a U2 concert by slinging a sack over his back and announcing that he was "the potato man".
The creation of caring Colin might be viewed as an act of contrition towards the series' Irish fans. But the show has already allowed one of its characters to express enthusiasm for a significant section of the island. "Catholics Rule!" Homer recently exclaimed. "We've got Boston, South America and the good part of Ireland."

:rolleyes:

Guardian article pinpoints The Simpsons jump the shark moment to season 9. Skinner as fraud.

That's interesting. I really liked that episode ('up yours children!') but it is a strange one. it reckelessly undermines the character of Skinner for no reason, and then tells everyone to never mention it again under penalty of torture. Now that IS funny, but it's cheap and lazy as fuck.

It also contains the line 'all my dreams involve combing my hair!', one of my favorites.

i'm not nearly as keen on the earlier episodes as the later ones.

what? Please say you mean season 1

I find it funny that you all seem to be crazy about Potter but don't have love for Homer.
"Harry Potter don't be chewing gum in class"
"It's not gum, it's brimstone" <spews fire>

....... that's the joke.

re Armin Tamzarian. Yeah, funny episode, stupid premise.
I think it jumped the shark a little after that, can't think where exactly.
It started when the show's began with one storyline and randomly segued to another. That was ok at first, but then it stopped being funny as well.

Maybe the episode with the old cowboy. Started with a dog, pretty funny I thought, then for no reason we meet Buck McCoy, and then the rest of the show wasn't very funny at all.

Nah, it was well before the old cowboy one. I'd draw the line at episode 200. Episode 201 is where Homer climbs the mountain, 202 Homer and marge making teh sechs in the open, 203 Homer sells grease, 204 Homer becomes an inventor....

these are all funny episodes but nowhere up to the standard.

also more from the guardian:
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/film/2007/07/breathe_a_sigh_of_relief_the_s.html
the guardian said:
In short, it looks like The Simpsons Movie is going to be worth the wait. Still sceptical? Consider that this joke, revealed by Groening, didn't make the movie, as Bart inadvertently gets stuck in an Egyptian sarcophagus:
Marge: "Homer, get him out of there!"
Homer: "Honey, he has to get over his fear of coffins one day."

Excited?

sorry that joke is shit.

the guardian said:
Elsewhere, while researching her school presentation on climate change (called, brilliantly, An Irritating Truth)

brilliantly? :rolleyes:

Nah, it was well before the old cowboy one. I'd draw the line at episode 200. Episode 201 is where Homer climbs the mountain, 202 Homer and marge making teh sechs in the open, 203 Homer sells grease, 204 Homer becomes an inventor....

these are all funny episodes but nowhere up to the standard.

also more from the guardian:
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/film/2007/07/breathe_a_sigh_of_relief_the_s.html

sorry that joke is shit.

brilliantly? :rolleyes:

The Guardian never drunk a Duff in it's life.

Although the plots have gone downhill over the years there are still some brilliant moments

Speaking of Harry Potter:

Ned: and Harry Potter and all his wizard friends went straight to hell for practicing witchcraft."

Rod and Todd: Yay!

And a recent-ish one where Lisa is imagining the mathematical symbols..

"27"

could i borrow your copy of swank?

Alright who wants a piece of meeeeee!!!!!!
imagesCAGDDWN3%5B105%5D.jpg

I'd draw the line at episode 200. Episode 201 is where Homer climbs the mountain, 202 Homer and marge making teh sechs in the open, 203 Homer sells grease, 204 Homer becomes an inventor....

I LOVE all those episodes.

Oh, this just in...Powersauce is amazing.
powersauce.jpg

10 minutes?

Curley Sue was brilliant for ten minutes.

Didn't make it a great movie though.

And you've just got to look at the long list of arbitrary things that happen within those ten(!!) minutes to realise that it's going to be shit.

Look away now, spoilerphobes - this is what we know. The movie sees Green Day poisoned and drowning in the fetid Lake Springfield after interrupting a Duff Beer-sponsored show "to say one thing about the environment". At the memorial service, Grandpa Abe experiences a moment of religious possession, which prompts Marge to go off on a hare-brained journey of spiritual discovery. (As Groening said with an evil glint in his eye when asked about the movie's potential to offend, "we do posit the existence of a very active God".)
Elsewhere, while researching her school presentation on climate change (called, brilliantly, An Irritating Truth), Lisa falls in love with a conscientious Irish charmer named Colin ("although there's obviously a tragedy to the romance because they're Irish"). And oh yes, the naked-Bart skateboarding scene does exist, but it's far too genius to spoil with any more information than that.

I LOVE all those episodes.

Oh, this just in...Powersauce is amazing.
powersauce.jpg

I love the jokes in them but overall it's all starting to come to pieces.....
It was no longer smart, just funny. But not too soon after that it wasn't funny either. TRAGIC

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back