The Russian invasion of Ukraine (2 Viewers)

Actually a bit wild to see Putin at that yoke with Xi and he's saying we understand you have "questions and concerns" about Ukraine and we're here to provide that
And Xi not even saying the word 'Ukraine', but laying it out how China supports Kazakhstan's sovereignty - like don't get any more invasion ideas, pal

The power dynamic completely one way
Putin like a supplicant, desperately needing Xi, and yet useful only to Xi for as long as he deems that necessary

Not used to seeing that from an alpha dog like Vlad

We're just a few years out from him playing the US president like he was a needy boyfriend

posted something a while back on the suggestion some of the former soviet states might be seeing an advantage in russia's extended war in Ukraine to assert their own local interests (also read something else this morning that as the russians have been pulling troops from bases in these countries it might contribute to this).

also saw this this morning:

although in the medium term the chinese will probably take up the slack.

posted something a while back on the suggestion some of the former soviet states might be seeing an advantage in russia's extended war in Ukraine to assert their own local interests (also read something else this morning that as the russians have been pulling troops from bases in these countries it might contribute to this).
I was just reading this about how former former soviet states might respond

Almost morto for him
Getting openly chastised by Modi

"I fucking told you on the phone to cut this shit out"
"I'm on it, I promise"

Fucking INDIA telling your to sort your shit out
Top tier China told him to handle his business yesterday
Second tier India getting their jabs in today
And these are the fuckers he needs to sell oil to, so he has to be nice about it
It is only fucking KILLING him to eat this shit with a grin, I'd say

1663371469417.png

Putin announced a partial mobilisation of military reserve forces overnight.

I wonder how the general Russian public will take to this move. Not a sign that things are going well anyway.

Jason Corcoran was tweeting earlier about how his brother in law has already buggered off to Turkey some time ago as he saw this coming.

Very obvious point just made on the radio about these b.s. referenda in occupied Ukraine

Once they pass, then those territories are in Russia, and any fighting there is an attack on "Russian" soil, so he's got his nuclear excuse right there and then in Kherson etc

The thing about these referenda though, if they pass with a vote of like 60-40 or 55-45, it'll be hard to call them total bullshit. Before the whole invasion, if those areas had been given a vote they most likely would have voted to join Russia - which is why Ukraine won't give them a vote on it and have been fighting rebels there for the last 8 years.
Even if the Donbas was split in half in some way, the East would definitely have voted to join Russia before the war, the West Donbas would have been more even.
Like this whole situation is bullshit naturally, but as far as Donbas goes, both sides are fucked really. The war itself has probably drastically polarised opinions in the region even more than they may have been already, but it mostly just looks like the big losers regardless of what happens are going to be the people living in Donbas.
The Crimea vote was clearly rigged given the ridiculous 99% vote or whatever, but even if they hadn't been stupid enough to fix it like that they probably would have got a 55%+ join Russia vote from an unrigged referendum there, it's just that Putin and co. are all about the stupid shit these days because they are so terrified of losing anything in any way.

Come on, man. No one knows how these places would vote in a free & fair vote. Especially not after the last 8 months. And it's not how this is done anyways. The votes are just more manipulation.

Just like Russia telling us everyone in Ukraine wanted in with them and that the Russian infantry would be welcomed as liberators. And it's all a crock of shit. There are only lies from Moscow.

Ukraine have been fighting a Russian invasion since 2014, it's not some bunch of rebels who decided to have a go. Armed and instigated by Russia with Russian boots on the ground. The way America would has done countless coups in Africa, Latin America or you name it.

Virtually no one wants in on Russia anymore. People can't the place leave quick enough.
If you or I were in Russia right now, we'd be fucked.

Man, there's Russian lies yeah, and then there's just demographics. When over half the population of a place speaks Russian as their first language, grew up in a form of Russia, works in fairly Russian-dependent jobs, and has their actual language kind of 'banned' on them, it's fairly straightforward to think they'd probably want to join Russia if given the chance.
Of course the situation could be anywhere now, but before the invasion, that's basically what the craic was in Donbas, wasn't it.

Man, there's Russian lies yeah, and then there's just demographics. When over half the population of a place speaks Russian as their first language, grew up in a form of Russia, works in fairly Russian-dependent jobs, and has their actual language kind of 'banned' on them, it's fairly straightforward to think they'd probably want to join Russia if given the chance.
Of course the situation could be anywhere now, but before the invasion, that's basically what the craic was in Donbas, wasn't it.

I dunno, Corm. I absolutely see what you are saying.

But you can have all those things and not know how a vote will go.
One thing speaking a language, it's another thing to vote to live under an autocracy.
You know up the north better than most; you know it's complicated about who would vote to stay or leave when push came to shove.

Sounds like every former Russian colony has some version of these populations.

But one-sided votes are not how you break up countries. You need buy-in from everyone.
No more than Latvia's nutters couldn't hold a vote and say "We're fucking off now and taking the land with us".
No more than the Shinners could call a vote in the north the same way.
Just drives more grievance and a recipe for conflict.

The votes are bullshit because Putin isn't interested in the votes for themselves or any real results, but solely as a tool in his war of annexation.

Or that's how I see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back