The Russian invasion of Ukraine (7 Viewers)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"Methadrone is an "afterhum" that people usually hear – it starts so early, on the edge of the human hearing, that no one understands when something went wrong, and one feels 'just' uneasy - always 'a bit'."

Still it's mostly NATO and the EU fault for getting involved in things they know nothing about in 2014 (again).
What's your thoughts here? You always have a pretty considered opinion on what you post.

I would have said they did alright in the circumstances? I have no idea to be honest. Russia seemed well out of order in 2014.

What's your thoughts here? You always have a pretty considered opinion on what you post.

I would have said they did alright in the circumstances? I have no idea to be honest. Russia seemed well out of order in 2014.

I don't know if he's referring to the crimea thing here or the regime change in Kiev around then.

What are people's thoughts on the few weeks of de-russifying the language around Ukraine in the media recently? The ukrainian spellng and pronunciation of the capital have been pushed, there was even a conversation on RTE radio 1 in the last few weeks at the end of a larger Ukraine piece about why they were saying workds in a different way from how they normally would.

At some point the Russian pronounciation did become the English language one, but at the same time I'll call Kenya Kenya and not Kenya because that's what the Kenyans said to do.

Also, this seems very bad.

yeah it’s really crappy nineteenth-century-style great-power stuff. and seems like it’s going to get worse before it gets better. regardless of whether you lay more blame towards vlad or towards nato, it’s grim that it’s ordinary people in ukraine who will be stuck dealing with it.

I am specfically talking about the period up to the very early days post the Midan revolution.

- The West continually mocked, insulted and dismissed Russia for years ('A New World Order', 'Reagan won the Cold War and that type nonsense).
- NATO should never expanded into the former Warsaw Pact nations. absolutely daft.
- in late 2013 when the Midan revolt began there were presidental elections due in early 2015, then Viktor Yankovych could have been gotten rid of democratically.
- some western politicans including the vice president ot EU commission Catherine Ashton went out to Kyiv during the Midan protests and incited the protesters to overthrow Yanokovych.

both the NATO/ EU and the Putin/Russia exploited a very vulnerable country for their own selfish ends but why the
west got involved at all is a mystery. whatever the case it was a terrible mistake.

the events of 2014 (war in Donbass, Crimean referendum and annexation) would not have happened if the west had not got involved and Ukraine might well still be intact.
after the regime change at the start of 2014 rather than reaching out to Russian speaking Ukrainians, there was quickly a lot of score settling. new president billionaire Petro Poroshenko was elected.
the Russian language was downgraded including in education. despite a large minority Ukrainians speaking Russian it's not an official language (I don't think it ever has been post independence).

I am not defending anything Vlad Putin has done but the west has a habit of getting involved with parts of the world they don't know shit about. and they never learn.

no more nord stream 2 — so basically the americans have firmly shoved the germans back into line. this probably makes a full russian occupation of ukraine slightly more likely in the short term. which is insane. grim grim grim.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

edit: scholz is saying the pipeline “can’t now be certified,” not that it is totally dead. but it seems like that’s basically just a polite way of saving face about it. it’s dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back