The Russian invasion of Ukraine (7 Viewers)

also... it’s a joke account, but... a lot going on here

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The pinned tweet on that account is hilarious, and the replies to it are mostly "YEAH WELL YOU ARE FAT". It's hard not to hate people, sometimes

Incredible performance ..cmon

i wonder what the average russian's attitude to ukraine is. like the average irish or british person's approach to NI is - a 'yeah, bring it on as long as it doesn't affect taxes/food prices etc.'?

I've been re-reading a book on russian history/the romanovs

the timeframe from Ukraine being effectively in all or part of the Russian empire/USSR is not that dissimilar to the plantations (1670s onwards).

so it would be interesting to see what extent the average Ivan/Ivanka considers it 'theirs'...

one might argue that the separatist regions are a better analog of NI though..

War hawks really coming out of the woodwork today. All defending Lenin against Putin's speech I hope!

I was reading a thing yesterday about how the Clinton administration was directly involved in getting Putin into power in the 1990s, same old story of this stuff coming back to bite them. I don't know enough about this history to comment on it but it'd make sense considering how Russia was run in the 1990s.

i wonder what the average russian's attitude to ukraine is. like the average irish or british person's approach to NI is - a 'yeah, bring it on as long as it doesn't affect taxes/food prices etc.'?
It would be interesting how this attitude changes if a long running guerilla war type campaign starts happening in Ukraine.

War hawks really coming out of the woodwork today. All defending Lenin against Putin's speech I hope!

I was reading a thing yesterday about how the Clinton administration was directly involved in getting Putin into power in the 1990s, same old story of this stuff coming back to bite them. I don't know enough about this history to comment on it but it'd make sense considering how Russia was run in the 1990s.
possible I guess - he probably seemed like a safer bet that some of the others at the time

I've been re-reading a book on russian history/the romanovs

the timeframe from Ukraine being effectively in all or part of the Russian empire/USSR is not that dissimilar to the plantations (1670s onwards).

so it would be interesting to see what extent the average Ivan/Ivanka considers it 'theirs'...

one might argue that the separatist regions are a better analog of NI though..

the development of the donbass was seemingly more of an industrial-revolution-era thing: donetsk used to be called yusovka (hughesovka) because it was basically built out of nothing by, of all people, a welsh guy called john hughes in the 1860s.

before that it was known for centuries as the “wild fields” because, essentially, it was empty and barren.

all of which is now being instrumentalised and weaponised by putin to mount a very nineteenth-century-style sphere-of-influence war. but really, comparisons to northern ireland don’t seem too helpful here. everyone’s orthodox, for starters.

if it involves Wales and left politics you know who is always gonna have a song (instrumental in this case) about it

the development of the donbass was seemingly more of an industrial-revolution-era thing: donetsk used to be called yusovka (hughesovka) because it was basically built out of nothing by, of all people, a welsh guy called john hughes in the 1860s.

before that it was known for centuries as the “wild fields” because, essentially, it was empty and barren.

all of which is now being instrumentalised and weaponised by putin to mount a very nineteenth-century-style sphere-of-influence war. but really, comparisons to northern ireland don’t seem too helpful here. everyone’s orthodox, for starters.
sorry - I was confusing two points a little - I meant more a comparison to NI in terms of an minority left behind within the borders of another country by a retreating empire. (not expressing support for the putin position btw)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back