The Russian invasion of Ukraine (3 Viewers)

Simon Coveney is with you

I know we're a neutral country, but not when it comes to war!

Not really what i was thinking.

More Vlad might just vaporize shannon by 'surprise' to fuck with logistics.

Also that antonov biggest plane on earth landed there during the early pandemic, aid from russia. interesting that they can land their huge tank carrying plane here.

Not really what i was thinking.

More Vlad might just vaporize shannon by 'surprise' to fuck with logistics.

Also that antonov biggest plane on earth landed there during the early pandemic, aid from russia. interesting that they can land their huge tank carrying plane here.
Yeah I dunno, I'm a bit beyond working out Putin's tactics but a full scale attack on US airplanes on Irish soil seems super extreme? But then so did invading Ukraine a few days ago.

I'm about to write something very self involved and self-centered, and I acknowledge that.

However quietly close things might have got in the 80's this feels like the nearest to BIG WAR it's been in my lifetime, people in the middle east and Afghanistan would certainly disagree with that assessment , and it feels sometwhat odd to just be going about my day as normal. I'm about to go out to the warehouse to put a pallett together to ship down to a customer in Cork. Will put in an order to our US supplier after that. All so I'm able to feel secure later about booking the ferry to England in September for the holiday I hope to take there.

Normal shit, but on the brink of war, though not immediately threatening me here, yet (thanks for the Shannon thoughts AP)

Maybe that's Capitalism for you, gotta keep the machine ticking over.

Or just my coping mechanism, block out the horror in prospect (low risk for directly impacting me, high risk for the people of Ukraine, and also the young Russians that Putin has just sent in there, and any young americans, brits, etc. that may come in on the other side) by throwing myself into the pursuit of "normal" behaviour. Normal behaviour being keeping the Capitalist machine ticking over.

The way I coped with the last 2 years was to shrink my world as much as possible, don't let my parents catch a killer disease and that's basically what I focussed on accomplishing, and this stuff requires opening my world view up again and it's quite overwhelming. Opening up my world to the degree that I was planning on going to a gig in April was tricky enough.

Or is this just what happens when war is going on, but it's somewhere else? Keep going till it stops you from keeping going? Is it any diffferent to what Americans were doing in November 1941? Or what I/we did when the yanks went in to Afghanistan, and then Iraq and the entire period up till Covid turned up to derail the planet?

I should send Putin an invoice for the €55 I'll be paying my shrink next week, she'll probably have to listen to me on this for an hour.

I noticed the rhetoric coming from BoJo lately has been pretty fucking biblical, to borrow Liam Gallaghers term. Plenty of talk of Russian bloodshed

Out of curiosity, I checked the comments on Russia Today's Facebook page. Predictable and depressing.

Interesting thread here, I have no idea how famous any of these people are

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Doesn't look like there's anything real being done in terms of sanctions, just a load of blow-harding. After all, applying actual sanctions might raise questions about the dirty money sources underlying western society that rich people don't want to talk about.

one way to get an idea of things is to google-translate the front pages of some of the biggest russian newspapers and tv stations. not the foreign-propaganda ones like RT, the actual russian ones.

for example, KP is reporting at least some of the reality, and although they’re being fairly uncritical of putin, they’re also not exactly flag-waving

pravda is a bit more propagandistic and trollish, but still, not exactly joyful

anyway, it’s sometimes helpful for trying to triangulate what the hell is actually going on

Doesn't look like there's anything real being done in terms of sanctions, just a load of blow-harding. After all, applying actual sanctions might raise questions about the dirty money sources underlying western society that rich people don't want to talk about.
this is the joint statement from the baltics

here in Latvia they've already moved to ban any Russian state TV from broadcasting here indefinitely

they've also already invoked NATO article 4

and they're making preparations for the arrival of refugees.

the richer countries further west are all sitting on their hands.

I feel like I'm watching sentiment online change from "war is bad" to "we must wage total war against all of Russia for peace" in real time.

World is fucked, we'll all be dead in a week.

I guess Putin wants to remove the Ukrainian gov and put another Lukashenko type in charge.

He's expecting it's going to be quick, he'll take control of the military but leave the country unoccupied, and sanctions will ebb away over time once he can point to the puppet regime and say nothing's going on here.

if the grauniad is to be believed, this is not a popular move with joe soap russians; so this might not be a play for the hearts and minds of the populace there.

If Russia goes into Ukraine properly I don't see Americas being able to stop itself.

If they do it like they did with Crimea "those aren't our soldiers *wink*" war could probably be avoidable.

We really should be praising America for their restraint up to now.

Though people in LA are probably only waking up to the news now so maybe we should give them time.

this is the joint statement from the baltics

they've also already invoked NATO article 4

the richer countries further west are all sitting on their hands.

Poland is not on very good terms with the EU recently the EU had to make some law around funding due to it and Hungary's hostility towards the EU. I would think that the current conservative and to right Polish government would even be considered very Russian friendly and I see other countries having their Russian connections highlighted for instance Frances former center right pm Fillon.

Or I see even connections to the vote leave campaign in the UK being mentioned and I suppose Trump would be vocally and obvious in his position. I don't know much about it all of course I am only going on snippets of internet gossip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back