The New Pope (1 Viewer)

02-brigadier-and-bishop.jpg

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
I think Nuclear Assault said it best when they said "hang the pope"

That's a bit harsh isn't it? Regardless of whether you're Protestant, Catholic, Buddhist, Muslim, Christian or Gay you should at least respect the pope for all the hard work he's done in his life. I mean, just because he doesn't like gays or rubber johnnys doesn't mean he deserves to be hanged. Mind you, he is German.

Brian Conniffe said:
the new pope was a nazi.

Yeah, so more like Papa Nazi.

"They forced me," he says.

Sure, Benny 16, sure. Did they force you in the way your granny forces you to have another piece of cake?

"Oh, no, lads, I just couldn't."

"Aw, go on, Joe, just the one more. A little one."

"Oh, why not," rolling up his sleeves, he grins, takes a deep breath, and "This one's for Jesus! Here I go, Lord!"

I can't believe they picked him. It's tragic, actually. There are people all around the world who genuinely feel that the church's refusal to accept or adapt to the realities of the modern world -- not just limited to JP Mark II's lack of interest in acknowledging Vatican II -- alienates them from a religion that they would really like to have in their lives. Instead of choosing someone that could help the Catholic church be relevant to the people who want it to be so, it's just....oh, fucking hell.

I kinda hoped they'd go for someone who had some flair, or who would support actual AIDS education, etc. I wonder if the college of cardinals was worried about choosing someone liberal because they were afraid he'd soon become indistinguishable from Bono? Or maybe they're just sick of 'That Irish fella with the stupid glasses' hanging around after mass, or showing up in the middle of tea-time looking for 'summa de aul yoo-krest'?

I'm disappointed: not only did they go with a right-wing crazy man, they went with...ratzinger.

I gotta say "Big up the Rat" .|..| .|..| .|..| for a start. Although he is a little bit past it they must have some faith in him to keep the shit together. Come one, why else would they elect him in? I'm sure it was either that or let one of those young fuckers in to really fuck shit up. Just by looking at him on Sky News earlier, he gets my vote. After doing a bit of background reading on, he really gets my vote.

He looks the part anyway, pure holy.

Although one thing that did stand out, he's not such a fan of the old ROCK N ROLL, he even went to the point of declaring it evil. Can't find the link to that article but it is true.

Still fair fucks to him.

I was hoping for one of the Latin american dudes to be elected - they seem sound enough.

Don't think Ratzingers past is very relevant now. There are millions of germans that were involved with hitler youth who didn't gas anyone to death. This is hardly a sign of the catholic church embracing facism.

Just one day before his selection, Ratzinger, who turned 78 on Saturday and was born in Marktl Am Inn, Germany, on April 16, 1927, gave a sermon in which he mounted a defense of conservative church doctrine. Ratzinger, a close confidant of John Paul II who gave the homily at the pope's April 9 funeral, described the Catholic Church as a "little boat of Christian thought" tossed around by waves of "extreme" ideologies, including liberalism and radical individualism.

Ah, doesn' he sound lovely!

EodGrla:heart:Bndct16 als+4eva

Any idea as to why they picked such an auldfella? Maybe there was nobody dacent and they said "sure give the german ten years and maybe someone with a bit of what have ya'll turn up".

That or he's the highlander

h.jpg

is this going to affect any of our lives?

is it going to continue to make some peoples lives worse?

the church and their fucking stupid views on sex, homosexuality and women's roles continue to put people down and create problems where there need not be.

c/t

cassette/tape said:
the church and their fucking stupid views on sex, homosexuality and women's roles continue to put people down and create problems where there need not be.

well said.

on a lighter note: a "ratzinger" was boss of the roman branch of the spanish inquisition in monty python...

It's really worrying the way things are going with regard to womens rights recently - the whole reneging on abortion rights in the US, the constant finger pointing in the media with regard to working women and how they're 'endangering' their children by being so selfish as to try to earn a living and now another scary old bastard with his crazy views on all us people who aren't male hetro devout catholics. Great.

At least he's ancient and he might not live very long.

cassette/tape said:

c/t

they use to call him the panzar cardinal. what a cool name of sorts.

Passion%20of%20the%20Christ%20poster.jpg

"the bible - now a major motion picture"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back