The Mountain Goats (1 Viewer)

buck

Over the past few days I have been constantly listening to The Mountain goats. i remember buying Tallahassee ages upon ages ago and not liking it at all. I used think they had only one good song. Then I heard 'All hail west Texas' and it has turned into one of my favourite albums of all time. I now love Tallahassee and the 6 or 7 other albums I have by them. their current album 'the sunset tree' is a masterpiece also. i don't know I'm not the right person to start a thread about them cos there is probably people who have been fans far longer than i have been but all i know is that they are amazing (once given a bit of time). John Darnielle is a brilliant songwriter and lyricist......

4AD are putting on a load of shows in London to celebrate their 25th anniversary, the mountain goats are included:

November
17 - TV On The Radio plus special guests (The Scala)
18 - Minotaur Shock & Magnetophone plus special guests (The Luminaire)
19 - The Breeders plus special guests (Blackheath Halls)
20 - The Breeders plus special guests (Blackheath Halls)
21 - Kristin Hersh performing the songs of Throwing Muses (The Scala)
22 - Kristin Hersh performing songs from Hips And Makers onwards (The Scala)
23 - The Mountain Goats plus special guests (Bush Hall)
24 - Celebration plus special guests (The Water Rats)
25 - Mojave 3 & Mark Kozelek (Conway Hall)
27 - Blonde Redhead & Johann Johannsson (The Scala)

Stan Bowles said:
4AD are putting on a load of shows in London to celebrate their 25th anniversary, the mountain goats are included:

November
17 - TV On The Radio plus special guests (The Scala)
18 - Minotaur Shock & Magnetophone plus special guests (The Luminaire)
19 - The Breeders plus special guests (Blackheath Halls)
20 - The Breeders plus special guests (Blackheath Halls)
21 - Kristin Hersh performing the songs of Throwing Muses (The Scala)
22 - Kristin Hersh performing songs from Hips And Makers onwards (The Scala)
23 - The Mountain Goats plus special guests (Bush Hall)
24 - Celebration plus special guests (The Water Rats)
25 - Mojave 3 & Mark Kozelek (Conway Hall)
27 - Blonde Redhead & Johann Johannsson (The Scala)

that looks like a deadly line-up.

I'll be seriously thinking of heading to that mountain goats gig in London.

If you like both All Hail West Texas and The Sunset Tree, you should do everything in your power to track down Come, Come To The Sunset Tree, the vinyl version of the most recent CD. It's all home recorded and includes three songs not on the CD. Ltd. 1000 in handpainted sleeves. Contains a savage song called High Doses.

I'm hoping to bring him back to Dublin at the same time as the London show in November, or early 2006. He last played here in 10/2002, six years after his first visit, c.Nothing For Juice.

I too have been meaning to put together a tMG comp for the Comp Club, but as Mr. Analogue is doing the same, I'll wait to see what's on his so we don't duplicate. (Bet he includes Jenny...)

Darnielle also edits www.lastplanetojakarta.com .

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=3161

J.

we're off to see these guys tonight. heavily hungover today. hopefully a dose of mountain goats will sort me out. thanks to buck for the initial heads up and comp.

that was a cracking gig altogether. aside from the initial shock at how much the man looks like kd lang. i was also surprised at how chatty he was between songs - funny man. so it was bucketing down outside for hours before the gig and everyone was arriving soaked, then the support band were absolute muck, but when the 2 guys arrived onstage the place went bonkers. best atmosphere at a canadian gig yet. everyone singing along faultlessly to the stroybook lyrics. the venue (RoR) is like a huge whelans. altho someone got shot there last month - has anyone ever got shot in whelans?

they played alot of new stuff - which sounded really good. highlights were "i am gonna make it thru this year" and the place erupting with the "hail satan" bits from best ever death metal band... for 2 guys pretty much acoustic they brought the house down. rock and fricken roll.

highlights were "i am gonna make it thru this year" and the place erupting with the "hail satan" bits from best ever death metal band... for 2 guys pretty much acoustic they brought the house down. rock and fricken roll.

I <heart> those two songs. My latest Mountain Goats discovery is Protein Source Of The Future... Now! which has some of my new favourite Darnielle songs on it. Still, All Hail West Texas... .|..|

You can see a video for their new single on
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
. I really like it. It sort of reminds me of Radar Bros., oddly.

Been listening to Mountain Goats obsessively for the last month or so.

Always loved them, but I've become completely fixated recently. Picked up "Get Lonely" yesterday but haven't had the chance to listen to it yet.. can't wait.

Always loved them, but I've become completely fixated recently. Picked up "Get Lonely" yesterday but haven't had the chance to listen to it yet.. can't wait.

tis good, but a bit flat/samey - weakest of the 4ad releases, imo. hang on until the new one 'heretic pride' is released on feb. 18 - should blow a few minds. has john wurster (ex-superchunk) on the kit as well as annie clark (st. vincent). darnielle posted an mp3 of the lead track on his webpage recently - brace yourself:

http://www.beggarsgroupusa.com/mp3/themountaingoats_saxrohmer1.mp3

there's also a great ace norton-directed video:

http://www.spinner.com/2008/01/28/the-mountain-goats-sax-rohmer-1-video-premiere/

http://www.4ad.com/releases/heretic-pride-1/

be great to see them live this year. it's been ages since a dublin gig.

oh he's also done a track to mark super tuesday, but he depicts the candidates as blood-drinking satanists:

http://weekendamerica.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/01/31/mtngoats/

Get Lonely - I think its alright but not as good as The Sunset Tree. Had that burnt on CD that I took when I was travelling and eventually got to it some stage in Bolivia from which point on I listened to it intently "I am going to make it through this year if it kills me" is a good line to get onto those day-long buses with in your head. Fucking huge album. I like every song except the last one.

The Sunset Tree is such an epic album. My favourite track is Dinu Lipatti's Bones... such a beautiful song.

I'm surprised you don't like the last song, I love it.

I'd be torn between Sunset Tree and Tallahassee for my favourite.

The Sunset Tree is such an epic album. My favourite track is Dinu Lipatti's Bones... such a beautiful song.

I'm surprised you don't like the last song, I love it.

I'd be torn between Sunset Tree and Tallahassee for my favourite.

The last track, I suppose the way it ends the album, given the lyrical content, is fairly class, but I just don't like the way that all the crispness of the lyrics throughout the album suddenly loses focus. Sounds stupid to say "it doesn't rhyme" but it sticks out like a sore thumb when the rest of the album does, if ya know what I mean.

I think my favourite is certainly This Year, followed by Love, Love, Love, especially for that line about Sonny Liston.

The last track, I suppose the way it ends the album, given the lyrical content, is fairly class, but I just don't like the way that all the crispness of the lyrics throughout the album suddenly loses focus. Sounds stupid to say "it doesn't rhyme" but it sticks out like a sore thumb when the rest of the album does, if ya know what I mean.

I think my favourite is certainly This Year, followed by Love, Love, Love, especially for that line about Sonny Liston.

pale green things (the last song) has the most devastating line of the whole album though...

"she told me that he'd died at last, at last"

a fucking cracking song...

The last track, I suppose the way it ends the album, given the lyrical content, is fairly class, but I just don't like the way that all the crispness of the lyrics throughout the album suddenly loses focus.

Yeah, that's weird, I would say that's the reason I love that song.. It's a great tune also but I love the lyrics, and the way it ties the whole thing together... But different strokes and all that

pale green things (the last song) has the most devastating line of the whole album though...

Yeah, that line in particular is incredible.

a fucking cracking song...

"she told me how you'd died at last, at last"

he's addressing his alcoholic stepfather directly (most direct tune in the tmg canon), an abusive irishman by the name of mike noonan (not the ex-fine gaeler).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back