The ignorance of some people! (2 Viewers)

La La said:
i used to want to be a traveller when i was little. cos they had those deadly wagons and horses.

anyway, roisin, to go back to your first comment - does the fact that the people who parked in the disabled spot turned out to be travellers bother you more than the actual parking in the disabled space?
like, if it had been some rich investment wanker would it have bothered you less?? just wonderin'.

That was the first question that came to mind when I read Roisin's original message too. Assholes parking in a disabled space is something to be pissed off about. The fact that they're travellers is irrelevant. If you told the same story and added "and they were black" (or jewish, or chinese or whatever) there'd be uproar.

I also wanted to be a traveller when I was a kid. There was a gorgeous old-fashioned horse drawn caravan parked near my house one day when I was about 5; my mum gave them tea and biscuits, and the cups were politely returned to us when they'd finished.

Irish (assuming no one meant Roma during the thread?).
They've been around forever, used to have a useful role in society, travelling around rural ireland selling stuff, doing odd jobs, fixing pots and pans (hence the term 'tinker' which was acceptable enough til fairly recently). Of course now that our modern society has no need for their services (when you can go out and buy a new teflon pan for a few euro in tesco, who the hell would pay a tinker to fix it with scrap metal?) they have no useful way of making a living, hence they're now stuck on the edge of society.

Sociology lesson over :)

motoko said:
Irish (assuming no one meant Roma during the thread?).
They've been around forever, used to have a useful role in society, travelling around rural ireland selling stuff, doing odd jobs, fixing pots and pans (hence the term 'tinker' which was acceptable enough til fairly recently). Of course now that our modern society has no need for their services (when you can go out and buy a new teflon pan for a few euro in tesco, who the hell would pay a tinker to fix it with scrap metal?) they have no useful way of making a living, hence they're now stuck on the edge of society.

ah they're not completely useless like. what if you wanted a ton of rubbish and some burnt out barrels at the end of your road. who would you call? i know i couldn't do it, not on me tobler in anyways.

La La said:
anyway, roisin, to go back to your first comment - does the fact that the people who parked in the disabled spot turned out to be travellers bother you more than the actual parking in the disabled space?
like, if it had been some rich investment wanker would it have bothered you less?? just wonderin'.

"some rich investment wanker". the ironing is delicious.

gerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrup de yard there, gwan now.

motoko said:

The Traveller community is the collective owner of Traveller culture and heritage.
The experience of Travellers in Ireland today can be described as one fo social and cultural exclusion. The widespread denial of Travellers' cultural identity exacerbates the experience of exclusion. Travellers nomadic tradition is equated with vagrancy and thereby criminalised; Traveller crafts and Traveller language is not recognised; Travellers' values, beliefs and customs are dismissed or ignored in a monocultural education system; the Traveller economy and work patterns are not acknowledged and if they are, are denigrated.
Cultural Rights

Travellers and Traveller culture have been marginalised and rejected over the centuries. This continues to be prevailing climate affecting Travellers in Ireland today. Accepting, resourcing and celebrating Traveller identity, culture and heritage is a central element in any strategy to counter this situation and improve the circumstances of Travellers.
Nomadism

Moving from one place to another has given rise to a distinct Traveller way of looking at the world. Nomadism is often described as a state of mind. Even where Travellers occupy houses they regard accommodation as essentially temporary in nature - as do other nomadic peoples around the world. A Traveller living in a house is still a Traveller - just as an Irish person living in Britain is still Irish.
Music and Storytelling

Historically, Travellers played a role as bearers of culture - music and storytelling. They brought songs and stories from parish to parish and developed unique styles of singing, playing music and storytelling. This has influenced many musicians of today who openly acknowledge their debt to these Traveller musicians of the past.
Language

Travellers inhabit two worlds - the settled world and the Traveller world. Traveller culture reflects this. Although little spoken today, an important part of Traveller heritage is their own language - Cant.

Accommodation and Housing
The Traveller accommodation crisis means that nearly 1,000 Traveller families still live on the roadside in appalling conditions without access to water, sanitation and electricity. Many other Travellers live in official accommodation that is poorly serviced and maintained and often situated in unhealthy or dangerous locations.

This has a direct negative effect on Traveller quality of life and how Travellers can access healthcare, education, social welfare and other services.
Much of the thinking behind the provision of Traveller accommodation, particularly at local level, continues to be based on assimilationist approaches. This approach wrongly identifies the existence of Travellers as the problem and sees the settlement and absorption of Travellers as the solution.
In 1995, the Task Force Report on Travellers, recommended that 3,100 units of accommodation be provided for Travellers by the year 2000. It recommended 2,000 units of Traveller specific accommodation be provided and 900 standard and group housing. To date 251 units of Traveller specific accommodation has been built while 757 houses have been provided. This would indicate that an assimilationist approach prevails and 'settling' Travellers in houses remains a priority for local authorities. The lack of provision is compounded by prejudiced objections to Traveller accommodation by settled residents.

Making Nomadism into a Crime
In 2002, the Government enacted the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act which made trespass, previously a civil offence, into a criminal offence. Currently, camping on private or public land is punishable by one month in jail, a 3,000 euro fine and the confiscation of property.
This means that Travellers living on the roadside - awaiting accommodation and with nowhere else to go - are crimnalised. This is a direct attack on the nomadic part of Traveller culture and punishes Travellers for the Government's failure to provide Traveller permanent and transient halting sites. In answer to a Dail Question, the Government stated in 2002-2003, 88 evictions of Travellers took place under this legislation. In 2003, this law went to judicial review and may also be in contravention of the European Convention on Human Rights.
The 1998 Traveller Acccommodation Act pobliged local authorities to produce 5 year plans for delivering Traveller accommodation. However, the absence of sanctions for failing to implement these plans has meant there has been little progress. A review of this Act is taking place in 2004 and as part of this review Pavee Point recommends the Government set up an independent Traveller Acccommodation Agency.
For Travellers to be accommodated successfully, key features of Traveller culture must be respected:

The extended family lives together
Traveller families tend to be larger in number than the national average
Living space and work space tend to be one and the same
Travellers practice varying degrees of nomadism - from occasional to regular journeying.

aoifed said:
Language

Travellers inhabit two worlds - the settled world and the Traveller world. Traveller culture reflects this. Although little spoken today, an important part of Traveller heritage is their own language - Cant.

Is there not one called Gammon? Like the steak?

back to the ignorance of some people,the lowest thing i done in me life:
was working as a courier at the time and it was christmas eve so was busy busy busy.....anyway had to drop a package into a camera shop,pulled up locked me bike to a pole heading for the door and some oul one just collapses in front of the doorway,me being such a good worker i just step over her to deliver the letter!was about 5 minutes in there and on me way out shes still there and an ambulance is pulling up....
dont hate me.

La La said:
i used to want to be a traveller when i was little. cos they had those deadly wagons and horses.

It would have bothered me even more had it of been an investment banker, yeah I judge people by the car they drive to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back