The idea of "selling out" (1 Viewer)

let's take this argument to it's logical conclusion..

did you ever buy a can of coke?
you're a sellout.
did you ever eat mcdonalds food when you were pissed?
you're a sellout.
ever buy a pint of guinness?
you're a sellout.
ever use any money you had to support a major corporation? some examples off the top of my head..

going to the cinema.
going on an aeroplane.
using an internet service provider.
shopping in tesco.

sellout.

who do you work for/ support?
do you have a computer? did you buy it?
do you have a mobile phone?
sellout.

anyway, you get what i'm saying. every single one of us is a sellout in one way or the other.. that's what makes us humans and it's great..

long live the sellouts.

you're confusing being a buyout with being a sellout

This is an illogical conclusion. Buying things does not make one "human"; dry-humping soft furnishings, on the other hand, does.
\

spock2.GIF

edit that so.. it's a part of what makes us humanoids

well EXSCOISE ME.

had to put up with a lot of idiot punks talking about this shit about ten years ago only to fuck off and get MAAAD sellout jobs..

the truth and beauty is somewhere in the middle of being a sellout and not being a sellout. your :heart: tells you if it's right or wrong and if you in it for the long haul sometimes you have to sellout a little bit here and there.

like when willy nelson had to do music for ads for doritos.

yeah, fuck that. they are 100% right. I don't blame bands starting out that take that offer, it probably seems like it's this or nothing - the idea that you'd decline and in a year your band gets dropped and you're working in tesco pushing trolleys is a difficult reality to face down with a steady eye. I honestly don't know what I would do in that scenario. I'd like to think I would be confident in my ability to be successful without the help of company x.

but it is bullshit when bands or artists that are already very successful, that have made money and have careers and big salaries take the big cheque for using their songs in an ad. I can safely say, that in that level of comfort.. I would decline. Unfortunately, though as someone already pointed out on this thread... that dilemma is unlikely to arise.

struggling band get offered loads of money for music in ad:
option 1: sell your soul for popularity
option 2: turn down cash, eventually return to soul destroying job.

either way the man gets your soul.

also, the ad may do jack all for your career. and you'll end up not playing music, broke and being mentioned in internet threads about 'sellout losers working Tesco' along with the likes of Babylon Zoo and Stiltzkin or whatever. hey, it's a tough world out there.

Fujiya & Miyagi seem to be reaping the benefits of having a song in an ad (Jaguar cars). When I checked their myspace page a couple of months ago, there was tumbleweed blowing through it even though the album had gotten great reviews. I hope their sales are rocketing like the myspace figures.

http://www.myspace.com/fujiyaandmiyagi

Most bands who sign deals end up with huge debts rather than a windfall.

Yeah, but they don't end up personally in debt. You just break up the band and go and do something else. No problem ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back