The idea of "selling out" (1 Viewer)

Let's see whether Jose ever has a song that big again.

Let's hope it's far far away from those twats in Zero 7. they suck.
He did pretty well off the back of that song, sure, but the reason he hasn't disappeared is cos his album etc. and live shows are pretty good.

On the contrary surely? Airplay=more exposure.

..and then they fall off the edge of the earth. The ad is the biggest thing they get to do. They forever remain "that band with the song on the ad" rather than Rock Legends who once, incidentally, had their song in an ad.

Let's see whether Jose ever has a song that big again.

He won't have a song that big again but he will have a fair bit of money in his pocket and probably sell more copies of his albums then if he hadn't done the ad.

In my opinion, anybody who allows their music to be used for an ad is only in it for the money. As long as they're comfortable with that I don't see a problem, I wouldn't be comfortable with it but then again I can't see anyone wanting to use any song I've been near in an ad.

Say a big label came to you and said right off you go we want you to write an album full of catchy guitar pop songs.

I don't really get this idea. Pop songwriting is a hard thing and I don't see why bands would get signed based on making a particular type of music then are pushed to make a different kind.

..and then they fall off the edge of the earth. The ad is the biggest thing they get to do. They forever remain "that band with the song on the ad" rather than Rock Legends who once, incidentally, had their song in an ad.

...or it's the band who came from nothing, made some cash from one song getting airplay and didn't have the tunes to follow it up...and disappeared/went back to their civil service job. Ho hum.

He won't have a song that big again but he will have a fair bit of money in his pocket and probably sell more copies of his albums then if he hadn't done the ad.

In my opinion, anybody who allows their music to be used for an ad is only in it for the money. As long as they're comfortable with that I don't see a problem, I wouldn't be comfortable with it but then again I can't see anyone wanting to use any song I've been near in an ad.

really? not being in it for the money doesn't mean you can't receive money for your music. using your song in some McDonald's ad is pretty bogie, sure, but that Gonzalez Sony one - that hardly says he's in it for the money alone. it is, as you said, a way to reach a bigger audience and also get money to continue writing, recording, touring, yakyakyak.

What's the point again?
Oh yeah...TV adverts are a good thing in that your music gets more exposure...but I'm not so keen on artists *I* like featuring on adverts because my 'image' or 'perception' or 'why I like the song' becomes sullied by association with base consumerism.

What's the point again?
Oh yeah...TV adverts are a good thing in that your music gets more exposure...but I'm not so keen on artists *I* like featuring on adverts because my 'image' or 'perception' or 'why I like the song' becomes sullied by association with base consumerism.

There is no *I* in music

oh wait , there it is there

my mistake

really? not being in it for the money doesn't mean you can't receive money for your music. using your song in some McDonald's ad is pretty bogie, sure, but that Gonzalez Sony one - that hardly says he's in it for the money alone. it is, as you said, a way to reach a bigger audience and also get money to continue writing, recording, touring, yakyakyak.

Er, it's a cover version so I'm pretty sure lil' Jose won't get a washer from Sony et al. Still he's done alright for himself. Selling out The Olympia and appearing on TOTP alongside J-Lo's Magnificent Ego.

What's the point again?

I was saying that having a song in an ad is rarely a stepping stone and more often just "precipitates their downfall" as Ro succinctly put it.
I didn't say anything about anything else.

Er, it's a cover version so I'm pretty sure lil' Jose won't get a washer from Sony et al. Still he's done alright for himself. Selling out The Olympia and appearing on TOTP alongside J-Lo's Magnificent Ego.

that IS true. but.. you may get what I mean. your nice song in a nice ad for a hopefully non murdering corporation's product.. not the end of the world and can't really be the sole basis of the "you're in it for the cash, you are. you HATE MUSIC DON'T YOU!!! I HATE YOU!" argument.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back