The idea of "selling out" (1 Viewer)

really? not being in it for the money doesn't mean you can't receive money for your music. using your song in some McDonald's ad is pretty bogie, sure, but that Gonzalez Sony one - that hardly says he's in it for the money alone. it is, as you said, a way to reach a bigger audience and also get money to continue writing, recording, touring, yakyakyak.

I suppose it's where you draw the line. You draw it somewhere between McDonalds and Sony, I draw it on ads in general even though I'm sure there would be exceptions to this.

Basically, I don't want my music making some huge corporation richer, even if it made me richer at the same time.

I was saying that having a song in an ad is rarely a stepping stone and more often just "precipitates their downfall" as Ro succinctly put it.
I didn't say anything about anything else.

I'm not really sure what you mean by 'stepping stone'?

Take Vashti Bunyan- Thirty years 'in the wilderness' apart from whispers of genius among the Stateside wyrd-beards before the re-release of Another Diamond Day a few years ago AND NOW appearing on an advert. So if she has her 'day in the sun' on the back of this and then goes back to her day-job is this a 'failure' of some sort?

I think your confusing 'real' song-writers with derivative zeitgeist-chasing Topshop models.

Basically, I don't want my music making some huge corporation richer, even if it made me richer at the same time.

Uh huh.

websWeb_ServicesAllMerchantsTicketmaster1-resized200.gif

So this is where it's all at?
Can I get an executive summary? A few choice highlights? It's an interesting subject, of which I have mixed opinions, but it's only right to state that the majority of those who say they'd never sign to major do so in the safe knowledge that they'll never be faced with that dilemma anyway.

I'm not really sure what you mean by 'stepping stone'?

Take Vashti Bunyan- Thirty years 'in the wilderness' apart from whispers of genius among the Stateside wyrd-beards before the re-release of Another Diamond Day a few years ago AND NOW appearing on an advert. So if she has her 'day in the sun' on the back of this and then goes back to her day-job is this a 'failure' of some sort?

I think your confusing 'real' song-writers with derivative zeitgeist-chasing Topshop models.

Stepping stone as in they become known from doing an ad and build on that to become even more well known. The relevance of this point being that doing a commercial endorsement is seldom the lasting boon to a person's career that it appears to be.

Incidentally, Jose gonzalez will still get performance royalties from the ad even if he didn't write the song.

mitchum said:
'm not really sure what you mean by 'stepping stone'?

What Ro said.

I have no idea what a zeitgeist-chasing Topshop model is by the way, or why you felt the need to use that expression.

Stepping stone as in they become known from doing an ad and build on that to become even more well known. The relevance of this point being that doing a commercial endorsement is seldom the lasting boon to a person's career that it appears to be.
So essentially selling more and more records and getting more and more exposure is your barometer of success?

Okay...I don't care much for that.

Seriously Mitchum, I'm sure you're lovely. But please try to put clarity ahead of cleverality in your posts so we can avoid this messy business in future.

Yours in friday fun,
seanc

HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND EVERYBODY!

So this is where it's all at?
Can I get an executive summary? A few choice highlights? It's an interesting subject, of which I have mixed opinions, but it's only right to state that the majority of those who say they'd never sign to major do so in the safe knowledge that they'll never be faced with that dilemma anyway.

Ha, indeed.

let's take this argument to it's logical conclusion..

did you ever buy a can of coke?
you're a sellout.
did you ever eat mcdonalds food when you were pissed?
you're a sellout.
ever buy a pint of guinness?
you're a sellout.
ever use any money you had to support a major corporation? some examples off the top of my head..

going to the cinema.
going on an aeroplane.
using an internet service provider.
shopping in tesco.

sellout.

who do you work for/ support?
do you have a computer? did you buy it?
do you have a mobile phone?
sellout.

anyway, you get what i'm saying. every single one of us is a sellout in one way or the other.. that's what makes us humans and it's great..

long live the sellouts.

Let's see whether Jose ever has a song that big again...

Yeah. Basically I agree with everything you and sean are saying... but, I think that some ads, say the Bravia one, well, I think they are very pretty. I actually watching that ad. I like listening to that tune.

I know it's for Sony, and Sony are root kitting dicks, but, it's like a little bit of art in amongst these hideous adverts.
I wish more adverts were like that, nice music, nice visuals... :eek:
Jose wont have another tune that everyone knows... but, I dunno. I think he will be ok.

I wonder if Mitchum is related to Robert Mitchum.

Robert Mitchum would never sell out to Nobody.

Nobody never sold out to him either.

Yeah. Basically I agree with everything you and sean are saying... but, I think that some ads, say the Bravia one, well, I think they are very pretty. I actually watching that ad. I like listening to that tune.

I know it's for Sony, and Sony are root kitting dicks, but, it's like a little bit of art in amongst these hideous adverts.
I wish more adverts were like that, nice music, nice visuals... :eek:
Jose wont have another tune that everyone knows... but, I dunno. I think he will be ok.

I actually agree with you on that ad. It always gave me a sort of 'wonder years' feeling.

let's take this argument to it's logical conclusion..

every single one of us is a sellout in one way or the other.. that's what makes us humans and it's great..

This is an illogical conclusion. Buying things does not make one "human"; dry-humping soft furnishings, on the other hand, does.
\

spock2.GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back