The idea of "selling out" (2 Viewers)

Whats the story with ads nicking tunes and putting their own awful 'words' atop? Does Aretha Franklin say to Halifax or what ever,'yeah, take my song, rape it of its dignity, fistfuck it with generic cliches about how happy banking would be yadda yadda, and wring it out to dry counting the lovely profit that drips delicately off its torn innards'?
I recently had to endure THREE ads in a row that gave once decent tunes the Halifax treatment, to devastatingly depressing conclusions. Who did they pay to allow that? Surely not the creators of the original jingles......
Bastards..

for me, getting out of the 9-5 humdrum would be the primary driver. if you make music which attracts attention, the smart thing to do would be to get into bed with people who respect you... getting into something that will eventually mean you're going to be asked to drop something from your record because it's not commercially viable makes me wince a bit. there's lots of 'big' labels out there who have integrity and the business smarts to afford their artists the luxury of being able to dedicate all their time to writing music and being creative... V2, on little indian, domino ... as far as i know these people are pretty good at letting their artists do what they want... you DO need to be consistently good at making music to make a decent career at it though, and you need to stay true to your friends and make sure your folks are ok.

Whats the story with ads nicking tunes and putting their own awful 'words' atop? Does Aretha Franklin say to Halifax or what ever,'yeah, take my song, rape it of its dignity, fistfuck it with generic cliches about how happy banking would be yadda yadda, and wring it out to dry counting the lovely profit that drips delicately off its torn innards'?
I recently had to endure THREE ads in a row that gave once decent tunes the Halifax treatment, to devastatingly depressing conclusions. Who did they pay to allow that? Surely not the creators of the original jingles......
Bastards..

You should definitely do a collaboration with Halifax Howard.
halifax_howard120.jpg

Howard in Tyrol.
halifax.png

I wonder if Mitchum is related to Robert Mitchum.

Robert Mitchum would never sell out to Nobody.

Nobody never sold out to him either.

I effin' wish I was related to Bobby Mitch...my favourite actor...but if you think he never 'sold out' I suggest you read 'Baby, I Don't Care' by Lee Server...there's little he WOULDN'T do for dollars.

those Tom Waits and John Densmore articles are brilliant.

As far as selling out goes, replying to this post is the strongest ive ever felt about it. I don't really care once the music is good. Fair play to bands who don't have to, it's a nice position to be in, most of us aren't though

Selling anything gets more appealling as you get poorer. There should be a graph with this to prove that the older you get the more of your peers begin to get money and as you lag behind you realise your own poverty and wish to sell things to catch up. So anyone need a ....wait I've nothing to sell. Bollox better write a catchy pop tune about burgers... but wait I can't write catchy pop.

And thus I have explained the poverty trap.

Does anyone else hate animal collective?

anybody who would argue that would drink a lot of buckfast and smell like petulie oil.

only messin punx! up the punx!

I was reading this like someone who 'rolls around in shit and comes up smelling of roses'
You're the kind of person who drinks buckfast and come up smelling of patchouli ....
'kin 'ell

Thank you
only in principal.

if one of them goes solo they should call them self minimal collective.
No fuck that they're shite

Haha that's amazing!
Although they should include website earnings for the digital categories where labels are listed as 0 revenue (replace the label with the website for those ones in other words)
No mention of Vinyl so that graph is null and void because

A. in europe vinyl is god and

B.no mention of access to market either,

i.e the most money/sales my old band ever made is when we made our really shite cdrs available with a suggested donation (€2) to the folks in berlin many paid more than the suggested donation but told us that on the whole vinyl sells more on the continent. I have no proof of this except that most folks I've stayed with in Germany have owned ten times as many vinyls as CDS.

and B. paying for shipping from A FUCKING TINY ISLAND ON THE ARSE END OF EUROPE MAKES THINGS FAR MORE EXPENSIVE

just saying like.

records, not vinyls

they're called records

sorry , it's a pet peeve of mine

a manger I used to have would use the word "vinyls" all the time and it drove me nuts

Gonna quote this again

Perhaps the closest model for the future of recorded music is the sad, funding-dependent, workshop-running, pleading and dwindling subculture that still writes poetry while dreaming of the infamy of Byron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back