The idea of "selling out" (2 Viewers)

Old news, but I hadn't heard about this until last night

In my mind Peter Garret was still an anrgy eco-activist. When I think of a highly politically-charged pop song that was a massive hit I think of this;

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He got elected to the Australian Labour Party, made some pretty controversial and eye popping decisions ( approving uranium mining on aboriginal lands, creating a program that took money from aboriginal people if their kids didn't attend school...), got accused of selling out, and has now retired from politics.

I don't expect much from pop stars and their political stances but I found this all a bit sad and disappointing (years after the fact)

Peter Garrett – the biggest sell-out in Australian politics | melange
Rock star turned politician branded a 'sell out' - Australasia - World - The Independent

You've never seen that Midnight Oil video?

What?

Well, I suppose in these post-WarrenG discovery times I can relate

i was four when it charted

never even 'eard of it mate

although that said i know most of the words to 'all night long' which was number one the day i was born, so...

For years I thought he was singing "siesta forever"

which kind of made sense for a thing you'd do "all night long"

I never noticed his "rasta" accent until Stewie Griffin commented on the "island feel" to that song

The song lyrics were written primarily in English, but Richie has admitted in at least one press interview that "African" lyrics are in the song, such as "Oh jambali Tom bo li d, say de moi ya," and "Jambo jumbo," were in fact made-up gibberish of his own invention.[3] Richie has described these portions of the song as a "wonderful joke," written when he discovered that he lacked the time to hire a translator to contribute the foreign language lyrics he wished to include in the song.[4]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Night_Long_(All_Night)#cite_note-4
what a kidder

His other work

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

On a slight tangent, this also looks like it has massive potential

Green Room Movie : Teaser Trailer

In the crime thriller GREEN ROOM, a young punk rock band find themselves trapped in a secluded venue after stumbling upon a horrific act of violence, fighting for their lives against a gang of white power skinheads intent on eliminating all witnesses.

Based on a true life experience of GaryknifedX playing a gig in Tramore years back

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back