The Confessions thread (3 Viewers)

From my point of view, I could probably just about get a mortgage. To do so I would have to skrimp and save for a few years to afford the deposit. And what reward do I get at the end of all that penny-pinching? A nice car? A trip round the world? No, I get to move out of the nice neighbourhood I currently reside, in close proximity to friends, work, cinemas, coffee shops and move out to a dreary (but affordable) suburb and join the rat-race. Woop-dee-do, just so I'm not 'lining anyone's pockets' and can say that I own my own place.

It's this concept of ownership that I have a problem with. Why is it so important? I mean most things are pretty fleeting in this life and falling down the property ladder just seems like a waste of some of your best years to me. I'm not trying to slam anyone's choice of lifestyle, just genuinely curious. Obviously @sleepy 's situation makes sense but I'm not living in fear of eviction. Of course the housing situation in this country at present is almost at crisis point so maybe I'm coming across as entitled, naive or both but are we all so scared of the poorhouse still that we need to do a land-grab or what?
diff'rent strokes then. i have three kids and i'd like to be able to leave them something other than my record collection (or a nice car...). time was ('99-'04) i lived in a share of a big house in leafy d4 and i didn't see that rent as dead money, but i've traded it for security, community, domesticity, etc. and my mortgage is still the same as my rent was in 2001. (i wouldn't manage the 20% deposit now though.) i'm happy to say i'm lining my own pockets and am on the way to owning the gaff which, in retirement, will entail greater disposable income and a fixed abode.

I find the whole notion of buying a house bonkers. What's the big fixation with owning your own abode?
I've been on the 'property ladder' since 2000. I moved house once and am happy with where I'm living. However, considering I still owe the bank more than 50% of what the house costs I don't consider that I own the house at all.

As an aside, I have a mate who's 38 and is still living with his folks. I was chatting to him a while back about this and, other than living with your folks being a pain in the hole, he made a hell of a case for doing so. Financially it makes a lot of sense if you can make it work.

I've been on the 'property ladder' since 2000. I moved house once and am happy with where I'm living. However, considering I still owe the bank more than 50% of what the house costs I don't consider that I own the house at all.

As an aside, I have a mate who's 38 and is still living with his folks. I was chatting to him a while back about this and, other than living with your folks being a pain in the hole, he made a hell of a case for doing so. Financially it makes a lot of sense if you can make it work.
What's his pitch so? I'm half-thinking of moving back in with the auld one for a couple of months to save for a trip. Absolutely dreading the thought of it!

What's his pitch so? I'm half-thinking of moving back in with the auld one for a couple of months to save for a trip. Absolutely dreading the thought of it!
the upside; dinner, washing, etc, all sorted. He hands up his few bob every week but nothing compared to what he'd pay in rent and bills. Doesn't have to worry about bills.

downside; living with your parents and the lack of freedom associated with that. still being in the same room you were in growing up. Not having complete freedom to come/go as you please, bring friends/women back.

The financial argument trumps all the rest.

Plus, isn't this 'empty nest' thing becoming more of a thing now? Where kids have moved out of the family home and couples (or individuals, in the case of widow(er)s) have, in many cases, a massive house to themselves.

Thats the situation in my family. The family home is pretty big and my ma is in it on her own. As hard as it would be to get rid of the family home, she should really downsize. Thing is, theres absolutely no will or motivation to do so. I reckon the govt should introduce something to entice people to downsize (some kind of tax break on the profits made when doing so, for example).

the upside; dinner, washing, etc, all sorted. He hands up his few bob every week but nothing compared to what he'd pay in rent and bills. Doesn't have to worry about bills.

downside; living with your parents and the lack of freedom associated with that. still being in the same room you were in growing up. Not having complete freedom to come/go as you please, bring friends/women back.

Plus, isn't this 'empty nest' thing becoming more of a thing now? Where kids have moved out of the family home and couples (or individuals, in the case of widow(er)s) have, in many cases, a massive house to themselves.

Thats the situation in my family. The family home is pretty big and my ma is in it on her own. As hard as it would be to get rid of the family home, she should really downsize. Thing is, theres absolutely no will or motivation to do so. I reckon the govt should introduce something to entice people to downsize (some kind of tax break on the profits made when doing so, for example).
What a downside though. To feel weird about bringing a lady back at 38!

Surely the financial argument only trumps the rest if you have big plans for the money you're saving?

Yeah same, my Ma has a 3 bed all to herself, my Dad a 2 bed. Mortgages paid so why would they move out of the homes they've made for themselves? She takes in students on occasion, he probably puts up the odd drunk from the boozer!

Surely the financial argument only trumps the rest if you have big plans for the money you're saving?

Definitely. But I'd say there are other reasons too. Money problems can be hugely detrimental to people's mental health too. With rents increasing, new charges for water/household tax/etc, the strain must be inbearable for so many. I can see there being more of a case for moving back home now, compared to any other time.

Recently enough you had that disgusting campaign by banks and building societies trying to get parents to remortgage their paid-for houses, to help out their kids. Absolute pack of fucking low-life shits, trying to play on peoples' emotions like that.

Definitely. But I'd say there are other reasons too. Money problems can be hugely detrimental to people's mental health too. With rents increasing, new charges for water/household tax/etc, the strain must be inbearable for so many. I can see there being more of a case for moving back home now, compared to any other time.

Recently enough you had that disgusting campaign by banks and building societies trying to get parents to remortgage their paid-for houses, to help out their kids. Absolute pack of fucking low-life shits, trying to play on peoples' emotions like that.

I was talking to my sister in law a while back and she was saying that her ma was giving out about how much easier the younger generation had it but then my SIL pointed out that her mam and dad had their house bought by their mid 20s and were paying for it with one wage which is pretty much unheard of these days.

I've actually noticed just from living up in Dublin the last 10+ years that it does seem to be more common for people up here to live with their parents into their 20s and 30s than it does down the country. Obviously, accommodation costs are a factor there

I lived with my ma on and off right until she downsized a year ago. Downsizing was the best thing she's done in years. She is in much better form and better able to cope with the new gaff. It's also more central/closer to her childer and grandchilder.

The biggest downside of living with my ma was more the fact it was way out yonder in Swords than how we got on, but it was a big house and my ma is very easy going.

I've actually noticed just from living up in Dublin the last 10+ years that it does seem to be more common for people up here to live with their parents into their 20s and 30s than it does down the country. Obviously, accommodation costs are a factor there

There are other costs (social and economic) associated with living in the countryside but for Dubliners to buy gaffs where they were rared it costs anything up to 5 or 6 times more than it does for their country cousins to do so. And although wages also vary across the country, they don't vary by that much. I considered taking a civil service job in Donegal as I knew the cost of living would make owning a gaff or even just my weekly outgoings more manageable but then I'd have to live in Donegal (wahey).

There are other costs (social and economic) associated with living in the countryside but for Dubliners to buy gaffs where they were rared it costs anything up to 5 or 6 times more than it does for their country cousins to do so. And although wages also vary across the country, they don't vary by that much. I considered taking a civil service job in Donegal as I knew the cost of living would make owning a gaff or even just my weekly outgoings more manageable but then I'd have to live in Donegal (wahey).
get a civil service job in nordyland and you'll be on the pigs back. They get paid the same rates they get over on the mainland but the cost of living is way lower. #tiochfaidharcivilservice

Being honest, we did consider a move down to Tullamore about a year ago to be closer to family and the cheaper cost of living etc. but we're pretty well settled up here at this stage and really like it. Houses are cheaper down the country but jobs and opportunities are scarcer too. When you get to school leaving age you kind of have to move out if you want to go to college or get work, the option to stay at home isn't really as readily available.

Haven't watched a single episode of the new season of Game of Thrones.

I've only started watching the 1st series. We were watching a few epsiodes while we were both off sick with tonsillitis but I kept falling asleep during them because I was really knackered so might need to rewatch them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back