The Confessions thread (2 Viewers)

I find the whole notion of buying a house bonkers. What's the big fixation with owning your own abode?
beats lining the pockets of some bog-brained slumlord who inherited a portfolio of gaffs from his da.

if you keep up the payments it's yours and you can't be evicted; if you keep them up til full term it's yours for good.

handy when you have a family

etc.

I find the whole notion of buying a house bonkers. What's the big fixation with owning your own abode?

We're still renting at the moment but we're hoping to buy over the next year or so. The main reason we're going to do it is that most of the people renting on our road over the last few years have been evicted because the landlords have gone into Nama or because the landlord's are assholes and figure they can get more rent off someone else. The tenants next door are getting kicked out in June because the landlord's decided to move back in. The nearest place they can afford to rent a house at the moment is Navan. They've 4 kids so they'll have to change schools for them. We've only 2 kids but we don't want the threat of that hanging over us. If you've no ties or you don't want to get tied down any time soon, renting's great

My missus really wants us to buy a house. Even though we have no savings or prospects of having any savings worth talking about.

It's mainly down to having the freedom to do whatever you want with the place, to not be answerable to anyone. Basically so the pets can wreck the gaff at their leisure.

Yeah, as a single man living abroad with no prospects of having a family in the near future I have no reason to buy property : ( Nor could I afford anything in London : ( : (

beats lining the pockets of some bog-brained slumlord who inherited a portfolio of gaffs from his da.

if you keep up the payments it's yours and you can't be evicted; if you keep them up til full term it's yours for good.

handy when you have a family

etc.
From my point of view, I could probably just about get a mortgage. To do so I would have to skrimp and save for a few years to afford the deposit. And what reward do I get at the end of all that penny-pinching? A nice car? A trip round the world? No, I get to move out of the nice neighbourhood I currently reside, in close proximity to friends, work, cinemas, coffee shops and move out to a dreary (but affordable) suburb and join the rat-race. Woop-dee-do, just so I'm not 'lining anyone's pockets' and can say that I own my own place.

It's this concept of ownership that I have a problem with. Why is it so important? I mean most things are pretty fleeting in this life and falling down the property ladder just seems like a waste of some of your best years to me. I'm not trying to slam anyone's choice of lifestyle, just genuinely curious. Obviously @sleepy 's situation makes sense but I'm not living in fear of eviction. Of course the housing situation in this country at present is almost at crisis point so maybe I'm coming across as entitled, naive or both but are we all so scared of the poorhouse still that we need to do a land-grab or what?

From my point of view, I could probably just about get a mortgage. To do so I would have to skrimp and save for a few years to afford the deposit. And what reward do I get at the end of all that penny-pinching? A nice car? A trip round the world? No, I get to move out of the nice neighbourhood I currently reside, in close proximity to friends, work, cinemas, coffee shops and move out to a dreary (but affordable) suburb and join the rat-race. Woop-dee-do, just so I'm not 'lining anyone's pockets' and can say that I own my own place.

It's this concept of ownership that I have a problem with. Why is it so important? I mean most things are pretty fleeting in this life and falling down the property ladder just seems like a waste of some of your best years to me. I'm not trying to slam anyone's choice of lifestyle, just genuinely curious. Obviously @sleepy 's situation makes sense but I'm not living in fear of eviction. Of course the housing situation in this country at present is almost at crisis point so maybe I'm coming across as entitled, naive or both but are we all so scared of the poorhouse still that we need to do a land-grab or what?

No, I don't think you're naive or entitled at all and being honest if I didn't have kids and the like I probably wouldn't be overly concerned with buying. I really like the neighbourhood we're living in now, not sure we'll be able to afford to stay here but we'll see what happens. A big part of me still thinks I'm going to jump through a bunch of hoops just so I can end up with a massive loan but then I do look at what's happened to a lot of my neighbours and friends over the last while where they have been turfed out of homes or landlords have put huge increases on rents and you start to think you need to get some stability in place. I actually think stricter rent controls and laws should be put in place when it comes to tenants rights. My own landlord is actually dead sound but I've seen a lot of people getting fucked over on our street over the last while.

It's about 3-400 a month cheaper for us to pay our mortgage than to pay rent for a similar property in the area we want to live in. Renting is fine if you're happy to live somewhere small or share with people to reduce the cost but I want space and privacy and that was well worth any hassle or initial scrimping and saving. It wasn't any great hardship really, no more than saving for any other thing you want.

No, I don't think you're naive or entitled at all and being honest if I didn't have kids and the like I probably wouldn't be overly concerned with buying. I really like the neighbourhood we're living in now, not sure we'll be able to afford to stay here but we'll see what happens. A big part of me still thinks I'm going to jump through a bunch of hoops just so I can end up with a massive loan but then I do look at what's happened to a lot of my neighbours and friends over the last while where they have been turfed out of homes or landlords have put huge increases on rents and you start to think you need to get some stability in place. I actually think stricter rent controls and laws should be put in place when it comes to tenants rights. My own landlord is actually dead sound but I've seen a lot of people getting fucked over on our street over the last while.
With you on rent controls and tenant rights, we're massively behind the curve there in this country.

It's about 3-400 a month cheaper for us to pay our mortgage than to pay rent for a similar property in the area we want to live in. Renting is fine if you're happy to live somewhere small or share with people to reduce the cost but I want space and privacy and that was well worth any hassle or initial scrimping and saving. It wasn't any great hardship really, no more than saving for any other thing you want.
Wow, ok cool. Do you mind me asking the area? Just generally, I don't mean where do you live or anything!

Aye, more space would be a great thing.

A few things have happened on our street over the last year. The neighbours from 2 doors down had a guy from the bank turn up without warning one day with a camera saying the house had been repossessed and they were putting it on the market. If they wanted to stay they'd have to pay €400 a month more rent. Then he went around taking pictures to put up on daft.

Couple next door to us are renting. They have 4 kids. One of the kid's is in the school for the deaf on the Navan Road. The pipe's started leaking in the bathroom last August so they told the landlord they needed a plumber to come in and take a look. The landlord said they could easily get someone else in to live who'd pay €200 a month more in rent so they had to go sort out the plumbing themselves. Now, the landlord's kicking them out in June and the nearest place they can get an affordable house is in Navan. 3 of the kids will have to change school, the 4th one obviously won't be able to.

On a more positive note, the couple on the other side of us just sold their house and bought a smaller one in the estate across the way. They're in their early 50s and the youngest kid had just left home so they downsized and now they're mortgage and rent free.

So when you weigh all that up...

Aye, more space would be a great thing.

A few things have happened on our street over the last year. The neighbours from 2 doors down had a guy from the bank turn up without warning one day with a camera saying the house had been repossessed and they were putting it on the market. If they wanted to stay they'd have to pay €400 a month more rent. Then he went around taking pictures to put up on daft.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back