The Bono Thread (3 Viewers)

The article in the times that scutter linked to said:
Bono attended as a representative of the One campaign against extreme poverty, a group which argues that it is crucial for European leaders to introduce measures to make it more difficult to move money secretly around the world.

The One campaign believes money secretly moved from sub-Saharan Africa through the financial system amounts to some €38.6bn per year, greater than the €29.8 billion the region receives in developmental aid from wealthy western countries.

He called at the EPP meeting for action in European law to introduce public registers of the ownership of “phantom firms” and off-shore companies and trusts.

“Right now, your ministers . . . and your members of the European Parliament are working on another law that could help transform the lives for the poor, and the rest of us, too,” he said.

“It’s a law to inject daylight into the financial system to stop corrupt monies vanishing to ‘safe’ havens and combat money laundering,” he said.

I think this is Bono's way of saying it's time to stop our wealthiest citizens moving their funds out of the reach of the less well off

I think the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation does great work. Monbiot has him up there as an apologist for a new wave of colonialism.
I just don't see it that way at all.

whereas it's primary-school level reasoning that people who give to charity must be a great bunch of lads, even though they are generally demonstrably massive cunts
Fair enough.

I thought it was a well-known fact that all these so-called philanthropists and rich charitable lads are all doing it for a tax fiddle. Even some of the american lads I worked with through the dotcom boom years were setting up charity foundations in their name on the advice of accountants.

I thought it was a well-known fact that all these so-called philanthropists and rich charitable lads are all doing it for a tax fiddle. Even some of the american lads I worked with through the dotcom boom years were setting up charity foundations in their name on the advice of accountants.
Yeah, maybe. Dunno.

Gates has given, I think $40-50bn to his foundation and the first article there is calling him 'Mr Eugenics' because he advocates lower population growth. This, to my mind, is bonkers closed-minded thinking.
Mostly because I support the view of reducing population growth to reduce poverty.
The Queen (who I have very little love for) is "best mates with pedophile Jimmy Savile". Whatever her crimes, I hardly think it's credible that she knowingly sought out the company of pedos. "Kids are acting up, Phil. Let's have Jimmy over and give 'em a scare"

I thought everyone used to think Bill Gates was a cunt mostly on account of Internet Explorer 6.

I actually think ole Bill has, at this stage, proven himself to be a force for good. He's not schmoozing with the pope, he's actually spending massive amounts of his own money attempting to eradicate polio

I actually think ole Bill has, at this stage, proven himself to be a force for good. He's not schmoozing with the pope, he's actually spending massive amounts of his own money attempting to eradicate polio

I agree but I think hes out on his own in that regard. You'll find that other bulti-zillionaires with eponymous foundations are in it for tax breaks and a bit of publicity.

Yeah,overall it was pretty good.

When did Bono get an american accent?
My children have american accents. This is the real issue here, cultural imperialism. Insidious intervention. There should be debate about that.

Good works were always part and parcel of the later missions, education, health etc. It's all colonialism, it all creates a beholdenness and i always revert to Col Kurtz' 'the horror ...' speech when thinking about this stuff. I also think about the 'put on the damn glasses' fight in 'They live'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back