The Bono Thread (1 Viewer)

I think he's in a awkward predicament.

Should he do nothing, shut up and live the rich rockstar life.
Or should he use his position to try do some good in the world.

Should he do his charity work quietly in the background and not be photographed with every politician.

Should he do his charity work quietly in the background and not be photographed with every politician.

Thom Yorke was big into his climate activism a few years back, he might still be, I dunno. But he turned down invites to Downing Street etc because he felt that him showing up there would be counter productive, the pols would get their photo op with the rock star and the abiding memory would be "Thom Yorke at Downing St to talk about addressing climate change" and as time went on it'd fade to "Thom Yorke ... Downing Street ... addressing climate change," and that nothing would ever come of it because people remembering that he'd been there would make the mistake of thinking anything real had been done. His logic on the issue isn't entirely unsound.

Pop stars and politicians shouldn't mix. Pop stars and politics is fine though.

That's what I can't figure out. He is fucking irrelevant now right ?

I hadn't really heard or seen hide nor hair of him for a year or so.

But wait.... what's this? ... A new U2 album on the horizon.....and all of a sudden the cunt is going to be splashed all over the front pages again. Am I that cynical to believe that he's cunt enough to actually use the misery of millions of people to sell records ?

Is it a chicken and egg scenario ? Did he start giving a fuck to sell millions of records and earn billions or did he start selling millions of records and then start giving a fuck ?

Am I that cynical ?

I actually think it's the other way round now i.e. they keep releasing new U2 stuff every few years mainly to keep Bono's profile high for his other activities. Whatever other reasons there are to dislike him, I reckon that his desire to improve the lot of people in Africa is genuine and it's been more important to him than the band for quite a few years. The way he goes about doing it is certainly up for debate though..

Can't believe hang the bankers dot com aren't pro-bono

Last edited:

he shouldn't harp on about how the Irish people got themselves out of the shite because of the the austerity we endured, as if he had to endure it himself. Those pricks don't contribute what they should to the Irish exchequer, which is their right - but he needs to shut the fuck up. When hes talking about 'Irish people' he needs to be clear that he means all Irish people except him.

I just don't buy the idea that Bono is 'seizing the political space' of Africans. If he wasn't discussing these issues, the media would not be seeking them out.
Same goes for the need for poor Africans on the board of the ONE campaign. How many starving people are on Trocaire's board? How many kids on Barnardos? Not many.
Bill Gates who has given, what, $50bn to charitable efforts is also pretty much labeled a cunt.

I'm not saying everyone involved is just super-duper, but it's not the case that everyone that is a politician, American, rich or involved with a corporation is a 100% bad actor. It's undergrad reasoning - "everyone in a suit is cunt, but I don't have a better plan".

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back