smokin' (1 Viewer)

UnIt SevEn said:
the problem with banning smoking in pubs and coffee shops is that it may detrimentally affect emerging technologies in relation to lung cancer research etc. it's very useful for scientists to know what the effects of hazardous gasses are on the human metabolism as we may be able to develop resistance to more toxic environments, such as are found on distant planets etc. also, we have learnt a lot over the last few years about sudden calamatious events and their effects on human biology. is stepping out of an airlock into the great vacum not in someway similar to pressing the button which sets off the dynamite or whatever that you have strapped around your waist when you step into a nice crowded restaurant.

i'm just saying, lets not always look for the bad in stuff.

I'm not really sure what you're saying here, but while it's well-meaning, it's a little scary. People shouldn't be scientific guinea pigs and, if they are going to be test subjects, then this should be done in a controlled environment or it really isn't of as much use. And that wouldn't really be seen as ethical.

With the smoking ban in place, people will still get lung cancer, there will still be toxic gases in the air -- the biggest air polluters are NOT li'l ol' smokers -- so that should be quite enough.

I love smoking. It is the one thing I have been doing consistently for 15 years, longer than I have probably been doing anything in my life, except maybe drinking (think I started both at once). I'm against the ban because it's poorly thought-out and it's too extreme which, like so many Irish laws (which have a tendency to be more extreme than anywhere else) will make it a disaster to enforce and a real pain in the ass for people to comply with. I'd be happier with a less blanket ban, something that leaves pubs with a bit more choice, and people with a little bit more freedom. If I weren't a smoker, I'd probably be all for it, so I can't say that my opinion is a disinterested one. I don't want them to ban tobacco, and I don't think that not doing it makes it hypocrisy.

I quit for 3 1/2 years once and was an ex-smoker who was tolerant of smokers. When my knee cracked open like an egg, and I couldn't run anymore, I started again because smoking cigarettes feels nice. I love it. I love lighting the thing, and then breathing it in, and feeling that wave of calm: where one minute I want to cry my brains out and punch people over nothing, the cigarette makes me nice again. My 'nice lady sticks' as I like to call them, are lovely. Sure, they are addictive, and if I keep smoking for too much longer, I will definitely die of lung cancer, a heart attack or a stroke at some point, maybe sooner than I'd like. I will quit. I have a date for it planned already.

But where is the government's effort to encourage healthier lifestyles in general? What about the fact that bad eating habits probably kill as many people as smoking? What about alcoholism? That kills as many, and is also done in pubs. But there hasn't been much effort on the part of businessy-owny types to open up places to go at night that aren't centred on booze. And there hasn't been much encouragement from anyone to do this.

Fancy, that WAS a big chunk of text. I really didn't mean it. I was just sitting here with my fingers and they were doing the thing and then it was there, just sitting there like that, all wordy and large.

hag said:
how far did we run last night? i feel deadly, like beyond deadly today... :)
One small step for hag, one giant step for hagkind.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet and is important to note:

Smoking is cool.
Politicaians are not cool.

Who would you rather be?
James Dean or Howard Dean?

i don't think smoking cigarettes is cool... like when you think about it, it's a pretty dumb thing to do... like the cons do 'far in a ways' outweigh the pros. unlike smoking doobie.

billygannon said:
One small step for hag, one giant step for hagkind.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet and is important to note:

Smoking is cool.
Governments are not cool.

hag said:
how far did we run last night? i feel deadly, like beyond deadly today... :)

Probably four miles or so? Wait until we really get into the 'training'. Hafta make sure everyone can do about four miles without stopping before we can start speed/hill/interval stuff. Even some of the short ones will make you feel like you've just eaten a handful of delicious pills.

hag said:
i don't think smoking cigarettes is cool... like when you think about it, it's a pretty dumb thing to do... like the cons do 'far in a ways' outweigh the pros. unlike smoking doobie.
Smoking isn't cool, but it is 'cool', as in, it's a motif of sorts, goes along with icons of cool. Why else would teenagers start? Because it's rebellious and being rebellious is cool. It's a way of very nonchalantly announcing that you are not just some little mammy's boy/daddy's girl who follows all of them dumb rules. I'll admit it: I started smoking because the kids I thought were cool smoked.

It's not about what is cool, it's about what is perceived by the impressionable as being 'cool'. I think fewer kids are starting to smoke now, though, not just because the price has gone up so much, but because it's just not as much the in thing to do anymore.

it's so mad... i never would have thought i'd be actually looking forward to the next time i ran... it's really unbelieveable. and it's a lot easier when there's a few peeps like... and fun. for sure, the cookies do sweeten the deal somewhat... but truely, i am aghast.

jane said:
Probably four miles or so? Wait until we really get into the 'training'. Hafta make sure everyone can do about four miles without stopping before we can start speed/hill/interval stuff. Even some of the short ones will make you feel like you've just eaten a handful of delicious pills.

ah yeah, i know all that... i started because the people i hung around with were already doing it... i never thought they were cool though, i felt like i was missing out on something because almost everyone else in school was doing it. the image of cool - yeah... it's pretty cool. but seriously, coffee, olives, kissin' - they're all enhanced once you quit smoking...
jane said:
Smoking isn't cool, but it is 'cool', as in, it's a motif of sorts, goes along with icons of cool. Why else would teenagers start? Because it's rebellious and being rebellious is cool. It's a way of very non-chalantly announcing that you are not just some little mammy's boy/daddy's girl who follows all of them dumb rules. I'll admit it: I started smoking because the kids I thought were cool smoked.

It's not about what is cool, it's about what is perceived by the impressionable as being 'cool'. I think fewer kids are starting to smoke now, though, not just because the price has gone up so much, but because it's just not as much the in thing to do anymore.

hag said:
it's so mad... i never would have thought i'd be actually looking forward to the next time i ran... it's really unbelieveable. and it's a lot easier when there's a few peeps like... and fun. for sure, the cookies do sweeten the deal somewhat... but truely, i am aghast.
Yeah, it's much easier when you're around other people. I get a lot out of running on my own, too, because it's a nice way to clear the head, turn thoughts over and over again, etc, but that still sometimes works when there are other people around. You can still have one foot in the social world and one in your own little pod and get something out of both.

It's a great laugh. More people should know how enjoyable it can be, but it's got a bad rep as something only 'serious' athletes can do, when that's not true.

should read "Hafta make sure hag can do about four miles without stopping before we can start speed/hill/interval stuff." ;)

jane said:
Hafta make sure everyone can do about four miles without stopping before we can start speed/hill/interval stuff.

Latex lizzie said:
.thats not sad at all.not one bit.I'm barred right?
I have sex at home. I have sex on holidays abroad.

I listen to music at home. I listen to music on holidays abroad.

I go to the pub at home. I go to the pub on holidays abroad.

I surf the internet at home. I surf the internet on holidays abroad.

UnIt SevEn said:
the problem with banning smoking in pubs and coffee shops is that it may detrimentally affect emerging technologies in relation to lung cancer research etc. it's very useful for scientists to know what the effects of hazardous gasses are on the human metabolism as we may be able to develop resistance to more toxic environments, such as are found on distant planets etc. also, we have learnt a lot over the last few years about sudden calamatious events and their effects on human biology. is stepping out of an airlock into the great vacum not in someway similar to pressing the button which sets off the dynamite or whatever that you have strapped around your waist when you step into a nice crowded restaurant.

i'm just saying, lets not always look for the bad in stuff.
yeah. i read this twice, and i've no idea what you're talkin about love.

i love fags. fucking love them. i wake up, stretch my arms, turn off my alarm and have a lovely marlboro menthol every morning at seven twenty five.

motherfucking fianna fail cunts. why don't they make smoking and non-smoking pubs? wasn't there talk of tax breaks for non-smoking pubs?

yeah well. this thread makes me want one now...

cassette/tape said:
have a lovely marlboro menthol every morning at seven twenty five.

Marlboro MENTHOL?

Walter Raleigh would be turning in his grave (he's buried headless in Westminster Abbey, by the way) if he knew about menthol cigarettes: an insult to the sweet New World plant he so lovingly introduced to Europe.

But, no, in this time of need, even the blasphemy of 'menthol' is overlooked -- we must band together to stop Fianna Fail from pissing all over the age-old tobacco legacy.

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to make cigarettes taste like gum?

Nasty.

cassette/tape said:
girl,
if you start slandering marlboro menthol i'm gonna have to cough up some of the freshest phlegm i can muster!

marlboro menthol: all of the 'tine / none of the green.

'swhat i hear.
Other possible slogans for Marlboro Menthol:

*minty fresh, like the underside of a bus seat

*Now with more phlegmatic fun (Marlboro Menthol smokers out-spit camels in 96% of trials)

*Makes the girls cry

*Marlboro Menthols: keeping smoke-moochers away since 1957

And so on.

jane said:
a menthol-addict (who are a rare breed indeed)

maybe in the western-world these menthol addicts are a rare breed but here in japan they're everywhere. every cigarette vending machine contains at least 80% of menthol flavors. women wha'?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back