smokin' (1 Viewer)

A bar owner I met recently was saying that if you own a pub and someone starts smoking then what the staff are meant to do is call a particular 'helpline' number (from which I suppose the deadly Anti-Smoking stormtrooper division of the Gardai are deployed). However, there are only 41 people manning the phones which might be a slight problem considering that there are about 4 billion pubs in Ireland.

hahah!
thats just crazy.
a helpline. quality.
the minute that ban comes in I'm going to march down to the pub and poise, ready to moan at anyone lighting up....unless they're bigger than me...actually I'll proabbly only do it to girls....unless they're bigger than me...

Juno said:
A bar owner I met recently was saying that if you own a pub and someone starts smoking then what the staff are meant to do is call a particular 'helpline' number (from which I suppose the deadly Anti-Smoking stormtrooper division of the Gardai are deployed). However, there are only 41 people manning the phones which might be a slight problem considering that there are about 4 billion pubs in Ireland.

Unclealo said:
Well... The Irish UN peace keeping mission Lebanon was stuck smack bang in the middle of alot of Israeli attacks against Anti Israeli Hisbulah guerrilas etc where lots of innocent Palestinian refugees were killed. Irish soldiers were injured and even killed by Israelis artillary attacks over the years. From what I know the Israeli army really resented the presence of the UN in the area and saw them as being pro-palestinian.

Also, supposedly there were strong links between Republican terrorists and Palestinian terrorists in the 80's with Palestinians being trained by Republicans.

I wonder how far/long the first point stretches. I mean, from an Al Queda standpoint, histories such as that are convenient to ignore/never know. I was thinking more along the lines of yr second point there. Speaking of which, anybody see that BBC show on Tuesday night I think, dealing with Sean Garlands involvement in the laundering of super-dollars from North Korea via Moscow? Interesting shtuff.
(Are you really invisible?)

Juno said:
As far as I know, it's not actually the Gardai but Environmental Health Officers (i.e. the local authority) who'll be enforcing this.

not to change the subject or anything :rolleyes: but i'm happy bout the smoking ban, i'm off them since new yrs ish and lovin it but its horrible going to the pub and firstly having to sit through the temptation and then having to come home stinking of smoke. not nice. even if most pubs are smoke free it'd be great, i can avoid the ones with smokers.

Unclealo said:
Well... The Irish UN peace keeping mission Lebanon was stuck smack bang in the middle of alot of Israeli attacks against Anti Israeli Hisbulah guerrilas etc where lots of innocent Palestinian refugees were killed. Irish soldiers were injured and even killed by Israelis artillary attacks over the years. From what I know the Israeli army really resented the presence of the UN in the area and saw them as being pro-palestinian.

Also, supposedly there were strong links between Republican terrorists and Palestinian terrorists in the 80's with Palestinians being trained by Republicans.

It's dangerous to assume that there's some kind of rationale governing Al Qaeda's selection of targets and that we're somehow exempt. In my opinion anyone who plants bombs at train stations and nightclubs (in muslim countries) with the intent to kill as many as possible is beyond any kind of logical thought irrespective of their ideological reasoning.

Shnake said:
I gave up smoking over a year ago

and it's really hard to not smoke in pubs

but now with this new smoking ban this difficult thing will be no more, yay

what do you shower think of this ban?

whats more upsetting is the 'Good Looking Girl" ban on pubs we've had for years! 'Let good looking girls into pubs' Say I! 'Get rid of all the smelly ones that are ussually in here!' I chorus!

pants, good looking girls all want to fuck on the first date... like, you might be able to get the ban lifted but then what would you do? ;)

Pantone247 said:
whats more upsetting is the 'Good Looking Girl" ban on pubs we've had for years! 'Let good looking girls into pubs' Say I! 'Get rid of all the smelly ones that are ussually in here!' I chorus!

was talking to the same pub owner as juno, she also mentioned that it has been illegal all along for people to take drinks with them outside a premises - apparently it has only really been enforced in templebar so far (and not on baggot street after ireland win in lansdowne) - basically the idea a lot of us have of heading out for a fag with a pint is fraught with legal complications ie: if they want to the gardai can pummel us all with our own illgotten glasses/bottles.

even if there is more fights on the streets because of the smokeyban (which I personally doubt) the positive health aspects from everyone not having broken lungs and tar phleghm will far outweigh it.

hop said:
was talking to the same pub owner as juno, she also mentioned that it has been illegal all along for people to take drinks with them outside a premises - apparently it has only really been enforced in templebar so far (and not on baggot street after ireland win in lansdowne) - basically the idea a lot of us have of heading out for a fag with a pint is fraught with legal complications ie: if they want to the gardai can pummel us all with our own illgotten glasses/bottles.

FancyGoods said:
even if there is more fights on the streets because of the smokeyban (which I personally doubt) the positive health aspects from everyone not having broken lungs and tar phleghm will far outweigh it.
i don't think there'll be any more fighting than there is already, in fact there'll probably just be a lot of cold smokers huddling in groups desperate to finish up and go back in for warmth+beers

hag said:
ireland takes example from other countires and enforces stuff with iron first without thinking stuff through... like the NCT, like clamping, penalty points on your licence, like everything... it's almost like it's a scramble to be the best ever while not giving a fuck about what's it's like to live here on a day-to-day basis... i think it's very irish, to enforce all this shit, totally and unforgivingly, without any possibility for appeal whatysoever. in america, there's usually some sort of patio area or enclosed open area in some pubs where people can go and have a smoke without actually leaving the establishment their patronising in the first place... i just think ireland, or the irish government, is really really thick. so, did irish ever get recognised on that list as an official language? i think that's important...
the only "patio areas" for smokers i've seen here in new york, or last year in san diego are called "footpaths" .Well they're called "sidewalks", but you know what i mean.

ah pants! xxx
Pantone247 said:
probably sit nervoulsy at the back of the pub staring at them wishing I could pluck up the courtage to go talk to them like I do with the ugly ones.

hey pete, are you in new york right now? posting on thumped? heh heh.
pete said:
the only "patio areas" for smokers i've seen here in new york, or last year in san diego are called "footpaths" .Well they're called "sidewalks", but you know what i mean.

the ban doesn't bother me because I gave up smoking in 2000

however if I did still smoke it would annoy me

if you're going to smoke, you should defend your habit.

I could never understand people who say "I smoke. It's terrible. I hate it"

as opposed to "I smoke. I enjoy it even though I know it's bad for my health"

the problem with banning smoking in pubs and coffee shops is that it may detrimentally affect emerging technologies in relation to lung cancer research etc. it's very useful for scientists to know what the effects of hazardous gasses are on the human metabolism as we may be able to develop resistance to more toxic environments, such as are found on distant planets etc. also, we have learnt a lot over the last few years about sudden calamatious events and their effects on human biology. is stepping out of an airlock into the great vacum not in someway similar to pressing the button which sets off the dynamite or whatever that you have strapped around your waist when you step into a nice crowded restaurant.

i'm just saying, lets not always look for the bad in stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back