smokin' (1 Viewer)

hag said:
i america, there's usually some sort of patio area or enclosed open area in some pubs where people can go and have a smoke without actually leaving the establishment their patronising in the first place. ..
Yeah, I've been in both NY and LA since the smoking ban started, and there are still a lot of bars where you can smoke, some because of loopholes, others because the inspectors go home at like 2am, so no one gives a shit after that. Some don't give a shit before 2am, either.

Luckily for us, the government's lack of foresight may mean that there will be holes in this law, too, so for once, we might benefit from their incompetence.

jane said:
Luckily for us, the government's lack of foresight may mean that there will be holes in this law, too, so for once, we might benefit from their incompetence.
Loopholes ain't necessary - do you actually think they'll bother to enforce it?

I'm all in favour of it - dodgy sinii me, smoke kills me - but I bet millins of pound it won't be enforced, just like the fabulous anti-litter laws they banged on about so much didn't get enforced.

excrement.jpg

This should give you some idea.

Now, back to smoking. Although I am also against the ban because it is dumb, I have noticed that my hangovers are less brutal when I haven't been in a smoky environment.

jane said:
Luckily for us, the government's lack of foresight may mean that there will be holes in this law,
Irish people are knee-jerk clever. We're a nation of bendy roads and patchwork policies.

Clever pubs will put holes in the walls of their pubs so that smokers can smoke through them.

yep, that's what i meant, a nation of knee-jerk fuck bags.
billygannon said:
Irish people are knee-jerk clever. We're a nation of bendy roads and patchwork policies.

Clever pubs will put holes in the walls of their pubs so that smokers can smoke through them.

hag said:
yep, that's what i meant, a nation of knee-jerk fuck bags.

Where did all the Patriots go?
Was it for this the Wild Geese spread their wings?
"America, America.. blah blah"

hag said:
ireland takes example from other countires and enforces stuff with iron first without thinking stuff through... like the NCT, like clamping, penalty points on your licence, like everything... it's almost like it's a scramble to be the best ever while not giving a fuck about what's it's like to live here on a day-to-day basis... i think it's very irish, to enforce all this shit, totally and unforgivingly, without any possibility for appeal whatysoever....

This reminds me of the anti-war campaigns and Bertie totally ignoring public dissent and then meeting George Bush to give him a bunch of fucking shamrock. *So* depressing.

heh heh, i can see loads of people sticking their heads out of the front window in whelans... and that'll probably start more fights... "i was here first...", "you're taking absolutely ages to finish that cigarette", "gawd, that guy obviously just took up smoing to be cool, he's not even inhaling"... heh heh heh, you know it's true...
billygannon said:

you know what really actually worried me? the way he just did that and got away with it without asking anyone... and it makes me think, if those crazies blew the shit out of madrid for their involvement, where do they draw the line? are we on the "must bomb the shit out of" list now? i don't like that man one bit. the passion of bertie more like.

Psychotic no 2 said:
This reminds me of the anti-war campaigns and Bertie totally ignoring public dissent and then meeting George Bush to give him a bunch of fucking shamrock. *So* depressing.

hag said:
you know what really actually worried me? the way he just did that and got away with it without asking anyone... and it makes me think, if those crazies blew the shit out of madrid for their involvement, where do they draw the line? are we on the "must bomb the shit out of" list now? i don't like that man one bit. the passion of bertie more like.
Yeah, I'm not really paranoid about terrorism and the like, but with the way that man is behaving, we could be next. I used to think he didn't have enough power to put anyone in any real danger, but now I think I used to be wrong.

It's like when Bush got in and my mam tried to console me by saying, 'Janey, he's too stupid to do anything. No one will let him.'

And I said, through drunken tears, 'Mommy, I'd love to believe you, I would, but the truth is, we're all fucked.'

Stupidity is only harmless when you don't put the simpleton into a position of power. Then, it's kind of a problem. In fact, it's usually a problem.

I was bein' serious. I do think were in danger of being attacked.

hag said:
hush you. you're so on my "must bomb the shit out of list", you and fogarty. george mcfly isn't though, he seems cool.

FancyGoods said:

In truth, if I was living in London I'd be far more scared. The big fear is that the bombers wont be able to tell the difference.: "Britain? Ireland? Same thing, explode it".

Shnake said:
getting you inside a pub is like pushing a shite back up an arse

I heard of someone doing this years ago. Said person was on acid and thought his intestines were coming out his arse. Maybe this should have gone on that disgusting things thread.

I like the smoking ban idea. No more stinking clothes when I leave the pub. Reduced risk of cancer. Less chance of drunken cigarrette relapses. I was in Melbourne when the smoking ban came in there and people were up in arms about it until it happened and then it just passed off without incident - people just complied.

that's what happened to me until a friend told me they couldn't see the people i was talking to. they're not my friend any more.
jane said:
Stupidity is only harmless when you don't put the simpleton into a position of power. Then, it's kind of a problem. In fact, it's usually a problem.

FancyGoods said:
I agree. I usually roll my eyes and mentally throttle people who start going on about the dangers of terrorism, but now I'm genuinely thinking we might be right to worry. At least a little. If something like 80% of the population of Spain was totally against the war and they still got done, well, then we're just as likely.

Some similarity between places, too: smallish European capital, government too conservative for anyone's own good, history of paramilitary violence, ridiculously strong links with the US, blah blah blah. In fact, when you loook at the links with the US, it almost seems that Dublin is a MORE likely place than Madrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back