smacking (4 Viewers)

i think a baby does need a slap when they are young. teaches them right for wrong. it wasnt done to me. but i wholeheartly belive in it. when they reach kiddy stage it happens a lot less possibly stops. now since i dont have kids i couldn't say when the kiddy stage is reached.

some people think your going to beat them balck and blue but that isnt what im saying i said "slap when they need it" eg being very bold. which i would judge.

_38000278_punch_300.jpg

i think a baby does need a slap when they are young. teaches them right for wrong. it wasnt done to me. but i wholeheartly belive in it.
Where on earth did you get this idea? There's no such thing as right and wrong for a baby, or any idea of action-and-consequence - he/she wouldn't have the faintest idea why he/she was being slapped.

i think a baby does need a slap when they are young. teaches them right for wrong. it wasnt done to me. but i wholeheartly belive in it. when they reach kiddy stage it happens a lot less possibly stops. now since i dont have kids i couldn't say when the kiddy stage is reached.

some people think your going to beat them balck and blue but that isnt what im saying i said "slap when they need it" eg being very bold. which i would judge.

You really should consider publishing some sort of handbook.

Working title: Slap When They Need It.

Where on earth did you get this idea? There's no such thing as right and wrong for a baby, or any idea of action-and-consequence - he/she wouldn't have the faintest idea why he/she was being slapped.

Is that true though? If a kid picks up a scissors, gets shouted at and then slapped, would they not make the connection?

I'd say being shouted at in anger causes more long-term damage than a controlled, non-angry smack on the arse.
from what i can remember, the american paediatrics association recommends against slapping, cos it teaches kids that resolving issues is achieved through slapping.

- i dont have kids but i dont think i would smack them, i never enjoyed it when i was.

Thats the idea. Boys have it harder here. We get shit bate out of us for doing bad things. You girls get screamed at. Men of action v's Women of words.

Dunno what 'spanking' is meant to mean though. A left to the jaw followed by a left-left torso and right to the chin may not getthe message across. Cant see anything wrong with a tap on the nappy or hand. It's not a force issue, they generally know whats going on by the action and not the sensation. I settle for scaring the little ballix stiff by going from Jekyll to Hyde whenever she tries to jump out of her high chair.

I'd say being shouted at in anger causes more long-term damage than a controlled, non-angry smack on the arse.

from what i can remember, the american paediatrics association recommends against slapping, cos it teaches kids that resolving issues is achieved through slapping.

To my mind there is a big difference between slapping a child and a controlled non-angry smack on the arse.

I associate slapping with those mothers and fathers (mostly mothers from what I've seen though) who lash out and hit a child on the face, arm, leg or whatever with little or no warning and as a form of anger release for them rather than a disciplining action.

Smacking a child, after fair warning and when calm and collected, having explained to them why, teaches them that doing something wrong has a consequence and consequences can hurt... not a bad life lesson in my opinion.

Theatrical anger works. I dont know how but they seem to understand the emotional difference between the wide eyes ,growling tone combo and the bodyslamming the kitchen table onto the floor. Which never happens. Much.

To my mind there is a big difference between slapping a child and a controlled non-angry smack on the arse.

I associate slapping with those mothers and fathers (mostly mothers from what I've seen though) who lash out and hit a child on the face, arm, leg or whatever with little or no warning and as a form of anger release for them rather than a disciplining action.

Smacking a child, after fair warning and when calm and collected, having explained to them why, teaches them that doing something wrong has a consequence and consequences can hurt... not a bad life lesson in my opinion.

Just to continue on these theme a bit. I'm gonna cite an example of slapping/smacking I had described by my dad last time I was home. He's a photographer so he takes pictures of kids quite regularly and is also fundamentally against slapping.

So anyway he has this kid in for a portrait and the kids a bit cranky and hence not behaving themselves so the father says to the kid to behave and smile for the camera or the kid'll get a smack. My dad immediately pulled him up on it and quite bluntly told him that under no circumstances was the father to hit that child under his roof.

So get to my point. The kid had a fair warning, the father was calm and collected and obviously the right thing to do was for the kid to behave. Taking this into account, how is it ok for the father to slap the child?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back