Six Nations 2014 (2 Viewers)

the reason I dislike Rugby is that I find it's boring. Me and my school mates in the gaelic football team/Sinnfein/IRA used to have to play the local protestant school at Rugby. We won easily every time because instead of doing the mucks and rauls and scrubs and all that shit, we just ran like billy-o, jumping over anyone close enough to tackle, or just letting them have the ball if it looked like they were going to knock us down. This way we hardly conceded, and scored again and again, all without really knowing what we were doing. The reason was we were fast and skilful and were used to running patterns, whereas they seemed to be reliant on strength and an expectation that a bunch of skinny fenians would actually try to engage them in pushing contests.
We won so many games of Rugby, including gold medals in a tournament, and yet we didn't fully understand the rules.
The local IRA commander came to the school the next week and gave us all promotions. I myself subsequently led an Active Service Unit in south Belfast and the lagan valley for 10 years, an achievement which I always list first on my CV under "Volunteer position"

I didn't claim rugby was forced down our throats I claimed this attitude here

I did so that comment was probably aimed at me. I explained what I meant by it being forced down our throats on a completely imbalanced scale relative to how big the game is globally (relative to soccer).

And actually a great example of this is schools rugby. That gets the same, or more, coverage as a lot of professional sports that Irish people compete in. And thats plain ridiculous IMO.

So, are we going to beat England in a fortnight then?

hopefully. was at wales game. fucking brilliant stuff.

by the way, wasnt gonna bother trying here but worth a punt anyways. if anyone knows of anyone selling a couple of tickets for either twickenham or paris, please get on to me

Schmidt could to turn out to be the best coach Ireland have ever had but he is still a novice at this level, and he hasn't played a game outside of Dublin yet. Winning in twickenham is no easy task and he's missing some big names.

Saying that, he made a cock out of Warren Gatland last week so it's definitely possible.

This is the rugby thread so...

ronan-ogara-with-the-queen.jpg

If the attention a sport gets on TV is based on the number of countries interested in then GAA shouldn't be on the telly every weekend of the summer?
'summer' is the operative word here. Theres a class of sports fan in Ireland (as with everywhere else) that floats from sport to sport, depending on whats hot at any given time. At this time of year GAA games struggle with attendance. A national league game might get, at most, a few thousand (in the case of the bigger counties such as Dublin). Last sunday night all league games were covered in a single 1-hour programme on RTE.

Fast-forward to the summer. The soccer is finished, rugby has its off-season. What does that leave? GAA. The floating sports fan gravitates towards it, pads out the attendances, and the popularity of the games increases. Thats when RTE/TV3 will latch onto games and show them live en masse.

I wonder would this be the same if it wasn't off-season for soccer and rugby. I mean, of course games would be better attended than at this time of year, but would any game have the abilty to command a sellout crowd in Croke Park? Aside from all-Ireland finals, probably not.

Come next sunday the GAA season will be in full swing. The football leagues have already completed 2 rounds, the club competitions are at final or semi-final stages (intermediate and junior have already been played) and the hurling league has its first round next weekend. This being the case I don't think one could forcefully argue saturation coverage in the media. And I don't expect that to happen until late June at the earliest.

It's hard to watch soccer after the rugby. A bunch of over paid preening, prima donnas.
Give it another few years, professional rugby is in it's infancy. If you don't think money will corrupt it you haven't paid attention to the last 2000+ years of human civilisation.

the reason I dislike Rugby is that I find it's boring. Me and my school mates in the gaelic football team/Sinnfein/IRA used to have to play the local protestant school at Rugby. We won easily every time because instead of doing the mucks and rauls and scrubs and all that shit, we just ran like billy-o, jumping over anyone close enough to tackle, or just letting them have the ball if it looked like they were going to knock us down. This way we hardly conceded, and scored again and again, all without really knowing what we were doing. The reason was we were fast and skilful and were used to running patterns, whereas they seemed to be reliant on strength and an expectation that a bunch of skinny fenians would actually try to engage them in pushing contests.
We won so many games of Rugby, including gold medals in a tournament, and yet we didn't fully understand the rules.
The local IRA commander came to the school the next week and gave us all promotions. I myself subsequently led an Active Service Unit in south Belfast and the lagan valley for 10 years, an achievement which I always list first on my CV under "Volunteer position"

The reason I dislike rugby is that it's an artless, vapid display of simplistic brutality. The skill-set is incredibly limited. It lacks any tactical guile, has no ebb and flow and is as base a sport as has ever existed. I wouldn't go so far as saying it's boring but it's about as interesting to watch as super heavyweight boxing. It's popularity baffles me especially in Ireland where we have 2 indigenous sports which are vastly superior (GAA Football and Hurling) and football which per capita we regularly over-achieve in spite of piss poor facilities and virtually no grass roots investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back