Six Nations 2014 (2 Viewers)

And as to the claim that for 2-3 months of the year rugby is "forced down our throats" - seriously? I don't like soccer, can I ask for the unending coverage of it in the News and all the programming that centers on English and Scottish (not even Irish FFS) soccer to be taken off air so it no longer offends me.

100% agree

And countries that weren't colonised by England/Britain who play competitive rugby should also include Italy and Argentina at a minimum.
well no, they're not really any good, which was my point

well no, they're not really any good, which was my point

All three (France, Italy and Argentina) are better than Scotland and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting that meet the "not former British colonies" criteria.

I just don't think that anti-colonial spirit is a reason to dislike, not just a sport, but the people who enjoy it either as players or spectators.

Nor do I think that the fact that some of the supporters are assholes justifies declaring them all to be. There are elements in GAA and Soccer supporters clubs who are nothing short of terrorists - but that doesn't make all GAA or soccer fans bad people.

The worst you've said about rugby fans is that they dress well and talk about rugby when there is a tournament on. What crimes!! Burn them all!

All three (France, Italy and Argentina) are better than Scotland and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting that meet the "not former British colonies" criteria.

I just don't think that anti-colonial spirit is a reason to dislike, not just a sport, but the people who enjoy it either as players or spectators.

I think you miss my point. I don't care if they are/were former colonies. My point was that not many countries play it.

I think you miss my point. I don't care if they are/were former colonies. My point was that not many countries play it.

How does that make it less valid to the countries that do?

Basically my point is that your points are stupid! You could apply them to any sport to give equally, if not more, valid reasons for disliking it. You don't like rugby, nobody is forcing you to watch it, or to participate in a thread about it. I DETEST competitive cycling, in every form that it takes and I have many valid reasons for my dislike, but I respect your right to enjoy and even participate in it if that's what takes your fancy.

How does that make it less valid to the countries that do?

it doesn't. Sorry, I'll clarify. My original point was that rugby gets far more attention, or a victory by the national team gets far more plaudits/coverage than if/when the Irish soccer team wins. My point was, given how global the game of soccer is relative to rugby, to me that makes little sense.

Perhaps thats more a slight on the media than the public but by in large the media give the public what they want. To me a victory by the Ireland soccer team over the English soccer team should be a far bigger deal than if the same were to happen in rugby. But its not the case.

This despite the fact that soccer is, by-in-large, probably supported by larger numbers than support rugby.

And I find it hard to rationalise this.

Thats my point.

And I like/dislike soccer and rugby in equal measures.

Haha, I tried to stay with you, but this took the biscuit!

Well, what would you call destroying stadiums, rampaging in drunken gangs attacking people at random and some of the other very well publicised behaviour of, for example, some of the England supporters club? Though a quick google search shows that soccer fans all over the world exhibit similar behaviour. Hooliganism isn't a strong enough term. In some clubs in the UK it is so bad that people won't bring their children to games anymore.

And do you deny that there were links between members of the GAA and the IRA, and probably still the RIRA? Again, well documented.

Well, what would you call destroying stadiums, rampaging in drunken gangs attacking people at random and some of the other very well publicised behaviour of, for example, some of the England supporters club? Though a quick google search shows that soccer fans all over the world exhibit similar behaviour. Hooliganism isn't a strong enough term. In some clubs in the UK it is so bad that people won't bring their children to games anymore.

And do you deny that there were links between members of the GAA and the IRA, and probably still the RIRA? Again, well documented.

I thought you were the nice one?

Funny how your pro-eggballer friend is so upset by the stereotyping of the sport, but then you're happy to jump in and talk about football and the GAA like it's the '70s.

when i called bigotry upthread, i meant yours.

your preconceptions of the modern game are entirely rooted in a cliched, jaundiced, historical view which has nothing to do with how rugby is coached, played or supported anymore and seems to be based on some trite caricature rather than any exposure to the game as it's currently constructed.

how have you enjoyed the two games you've watched so far?
I don't see how any of that is true though. I'm bigoted ? great now you're just making accusations in lieu of any actual evidence to the contrary

And as to the claim that for 2-3 months of the year rugby is "forced down our throats" - seriously?
I didn't claim rugby was forced down our throats I claimed this attitude here
What really pisses me off is when people who won't get behind Irish people playing rugby (because it's not IRISH/Gaelic/mainstream or whatever the fuck excuse they come up with in their petty bigoted little minds) will do so for our Soccer team (another foreign sport) who are mostly British born and bred, and support British Premiership teams, spending fortunes on kit to line the pockets of wealthy investors and overpaid ballerinas with God complexes.

Was forced down our throats.

Thanks again for proving my point.

Laughable, just fucking laughable, did you even read my post earlier about how football represents the ugliness of life as it is and how rugby and rugby supporters look down on us as though their shit doesn't stink in spite of the fact that it's always been an elitist sport played by upper middle class white cliques ?

No, Thanks again for proving my point.

our Soccer team (another foreign sport) who are mostly British born and bred

Another wrong stereotype from the Charlton era football. I quick glance at our last campaign, defenders only, shows me that 10 out 13 were born in Ireland. At least get your facts in order.

Plus, football has nothing to do with place, it's an extension of social political identity. Jerome and Kevin Prince Boateng are brothers that represent two different nations, you don't understand football, you don't know what it means to be involved in football and so you look down at it as though it's corrupt and violent. if it is, then it is because the world is.

Well, if you'd read my post correctly, you'd know that....

Wait, never mind.
My bad. I'll try to get us back on track.

Anyone signing up to this new Facebook yoke ?

Can't wait for the euros to kick off in Portugal.

That Speakerboxx/love below album is class

Anyone watching The Wire ?

Only another month til The Passion Of The Christ opens.

What a year it's going to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back