Road Records - A message from the staff (1 Viewer)

This is easily the worst news I've heard in a while. The loss of Road is going to hit Irish bands very hard, but more importantly, it's going to hit Dave & Julie the worst.

You guys have been amazingly supportive of my band over the years and the amount of people who said they heard of us because you were playing our cds in your shop is seriously unbelievable! I remember seeing the free lollipops you had on your opening day and already thinking what decent people you were but that was really only scratching the surface.

Really hope you guys get through this ok, just wish there was more we could do.

Contratulations on the baby too. Hopefully without the shop to look after, you'll be able to spend a little more time him/her.

You will be seriously seriously missed!

PS: Vinnie, count us in if you need any bands or general help etc. I'll see if we have any cds left to donate too.

hey julie and dave

i can't put into words how sad this makes me feel.

i had a long reply written but i will drop into you instead.

just thank you.

thank you, thank you so so much,

vinny please count me involved for this thing you are organising.

richie

So saddened to here this news, I never post on here but do frequent the board regularly.

Road will be sorely missed, can't put into words how sad this makes me. Fair play lads for donating CD's and orgainising gig.

No doubt i'll head in this weekend and stock up on some tunes.

Best of luck Dave Julie and the little one and thank you for the music over the last decade!

dave and julie should have quite a few copies of the recent OOAL compilation along with other ooal stock and I've no probs (I'm also gonna speak for albert and richard here) and them flogging these at any farewell record fair or whatnot. Also, if there is need for more donations of cds, there are a few boxes in my house that could easily move of ooal stuff.

Of course, all of this is is if Dave and Julie are cool with this. If ye are reading this ye should be cool with this - you've given so much to others as outlined in the sheer volume of response here that it's about time we gave something back. I hope what I'm saying makes sense

ciarán

This is the saddest thing I've heard in a long time, I loved popping in to have a chat, yous are some of the freindliest people I've met, I think all the records I own come from your shop and the personal touch is going to be sorely missed, buying stuff over the internet just won't be the same. I'l be by in the next few weeks to spend a fair chunk of the money thats supposed to go towards my education, feck that. If anyone needs help organising anything I'd be more than happy.

Just to say a big thanks to Dave & Julie for everthing over the years, they were always great to deal with both as a punter and a seller. It's a real shame things have gone this way - best of luck for the future.

Benefit gig and CD sales are great ideas - fair play.

Of course, all of this is is if Dave and Julie are cool with this. If ye are reading this ye should be cool with this - you've given so much to others as outlined in the sheer volume of response here that it's about time we gave something back. I hope what I'm saying makes sense

ciarán

I had the same thought so I rang Julie before I started anything and she was thrilled.

And yeah, it'll be a big venue. As sad as a situation as it is there's no reason why there cant be one fucking monster of a party to say goodbye.

kick.jpg

those were the days.

As sad as a situation as it is there's no reason why there cant be one fucking monster of a party to say goodbye.

Damn straight. The response to the news really re iterates, as if needed, the affection that everyone feels for Dave and Julie and debt of gratitude that so many people would like to repay somehow. I'm happy to help in anyway I can. Kudos Vin.

Hey Dave and Julie, really sorry to hear this. You were always very supportive of Settler and Groom records and always dead sound any time I stopped in to buy stuff/drop off CDs. I got some great music recommendations from you and all! Road has been the epicentre of the indie scene in Dublin as far as I'm concerned so this is sad, sad news indeed. Obviously any proceeds from our records that are sold from here on in Road shall go to yourselves, and I wish you all the best in whatever you move onto next.

I had the same thought so I rang Julie before I started anything and she was thrilled.

And yeah, it'll be a big venue. As sad as a situation as it is there's no reason why there cant be one fucking monster of a party to say goodbye.

nice one Vinnie; fair play dude. I'm sure some of the ooal kids would be willing to offer their services to play or to do other things on the night or in preparation...

will stick out on mailing list etc when you have the details

Very sorry to hear this. I agree with all of the above and especially that Road is the epicenter for Dublin indie records. Anyone who released a record on a limited scale could probably count on Road stocking it and it's going to be an opportunity gone. Best of luck in your future careers/lives. Your shop definitely made a difference. Viva Last Blues is probably my favorite purchase from Road, but, to be honest, I haven't been there in ages. I'm definitely going to support indie stores as opposed to the hmvs after this and regret not doing it more before. I'll try to get in to buy some stuff too. Kudos Vinnie too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back