Road Records - A message from the staff (3 Viewers)

Really gutted to hear this.
Great shop, great people.

Best of luck with everything in the future.

Another gaping hole opens in Dublin.
As the last fifteen pages clearly shows, you will be sadly missed.

Shit sandwich.

Me and the youngfella are both gutted about this, despite having lived in a different country for the last few years, we've seen this happen to so many great shops here in London and had our fingers crossed that it didn't happen to yous. You'll be sorely missed more than you realise. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

This is heartbreaking. I really hoped that Road could defy the odds and survive even if all the others went to the wall. It cast a spell on fade st and used to draw me into it's orbit whenever I was in town, whether I had money in my pocket or not. They stocked my album and wrote a lovely review (which I quoted at length) and they always stocked the stuff I could get nowhere else. I picked up my favourite left-field electronica there, my vinyl roots reggae and the beginnings of my dubstep 12" fetish too. All of these records remind me of Road.
I moved out of Dublin 3 years ago and I probably get back only 4 or 5 times a year. But I always made sure that when I was back I'd pop in and grab two or three items and it was usually the thing I'd look forward to most about going back (as you can see, I don't miss Dublin at all). I won't be back again before the doors shut and the next time I do go back Dublin will be even less romantic then it has become in my old age. Road Gone, Everything Shit.

I think when all this over, HMV will be the only music retailer left in Ireland and Ireland will be fucking shit for it.

This is terrible news for the music scene in Dublin. Road Records was the champion of new and emerging music. I wish I had supported them more recently. I remember getting Kittster's autograph there and being able to buy every Irish indie release that you couldn't find anywhere else.

Does anybody reckon there could be a benefit gig to help them stay open? Just thought I'd suggest it but it sounds like there's no going back on the decision.

awful news, thanks for a great 11 years. you'll be sorely missed.

I pobly started shopping there 11 years ago. Thought they'd always been there for some reason. Suppose that's part of the reason I thought they always would be there...

Was in today. It was jammed. Too little too late maybe.

Was looking at all the stuff, mostly local, which I would have have gotten around to...but I'd have no idea where to get now.

Anyway I'm genuinely sad about this.

We had a few people over in the gaff last night and I told them about this. There were actual tears.

:(

I pobly started shopping there 11 years ago. Thought they'd always been there for some reason. Suppose that's part of the reason I thought they always would be there...

Was in today. It was jammed. Too little too late maybe.

Was looking at all the stuff, mostly local, which I would have have gotten around to...but I'd have no idea where to get now.

Anyway I'm genuinely sad about this.

We had a few people over in the gaff last night and I told them about this. There were actual tears.

:(

There were tears and genuine sadness around our gaff too...everyone feels like shite about it. maybe it's too little too late but we should at least try our best to buy up their stock and let dave and julie have a cleanish slate when they finally finish up.

It's horrible.

I say this from my heart that I really hope the last few remaining indie stores will survive in the city and I hope you can take time out to visit them and make a purchase, otherwise these stores will not make it through these times either, and don't leave it for a couple of weeks, do it today as they really do need your support and its only when they are all gone that you will then miss them.

Indie record stores in Dublin: http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=47012.

remember road used to have big birthday parties for the first couple of years. They were always great. defo need a huge party for this

Fuck. Deeply miserable on hearing this news. So much appreciation is due to Dave and Julie at Road for stocking our band's cd's in good faith and also being generous enough to give the best return in town on anything sold. I haven't been abel to support the shop as much as I would have liked to in recent years but Road's stock was always fresh and I got some brilliant stuff from their 7" selection which they were cool enough to let me listen to before buying. Fair play to you for having the guts to commit to this venture and in the first place and to carry it thus far. I wish you all the best for the future.

This is really sad news.

Like so many others, my level of shopping had dropped off in the last few years (not from downloading, i've still never downloaded an album) but in the late 90s when i discovered Road it was a godsend.
Was so amazed to first discover all the Palace and Smog albums in there.

And they were so helpful when The Coldspoon Conspiracy started putting out 7"s and albums.
I have no idea if there's any of those left but it goes without saying that they can sell it for whatever price they wish as part of Road Aid.

Wishing them the very best of luck with the new baby and any future ventures they undertake.

dave and julie, best of luck with everything that comes after. like so many others, i owe you a huge debt of gratitude. i'll remember the many hours spent in 16b fade street with huge fondness, but now very much tinged with sadness at the news that the doors are closing. it's a dark, dark day, and very sad news.

Dave & Julie. Sorry to hear about the shop closing. It was a focal point for those of us in bands and punters who fancied a nosy at what was happening in Dublin.

Here's the bad part. Dublin has been fucked up since the Corporation stopped flypostering, since gigs became ridiculously hard for wee bands to get, since the bands somehow stopped taking chances, since the bands just did it in the evenings and at weekends, and since Whelans became mecca.

I have to add that after living in Dublin for 30 years I am now so glad to be away from it. It has descended into it's own shite & violence. Nobody smiles or has the time for a conversation. This is why ROAD was so different. Dave and Julie always had time for a chat and a laugh.

A poster mentioned early on that in the UK 26 indie shops 'pooled together' to protect themselves. That so wouldn't happen in Dublin I'm sorry to say.

As a musician it is a further dent to the thing I love(d). It is the global race to the bottom. If it were possible to put a levy on downloading I would be all for it. In France for instance, 6% of all cinema ticket entrance fees goes directly to indigenous film makers. Why not that 6% of all music gig entrance fees go to indigenous Irish musicians/indie shops/indie labels? I don't think anyone would complain. Ecxept perhaps EMSEEDEE.

Are young people even bovverd tho.It is not (as it was for me) a way of life anymore. As we approach another recession our young folk may decide to form a band, just for something to do. Or will wii come out with a 'start a band' game?

In fact, the opposite. It is a time for us to say thanks to Dave and Julie and cannot wait to see ye struggling down the street with the baby, the buggy and three nappy changing bags, 'cos that's what's really important. Good luck guys, Pat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back