Road Records - A message from the staff (1 Viewer)

this is really shite news.

Having not lived in Ireland (dublin) for years I kept feeling it was being chipped away slowly by emerging greed, fragmentation and general bullshit...

Over here there are very few independant record shops and they are constantly under threat.

There has been an independant record shop coalition set up by 26 indie stores - this is allowing them to pool resources for competitive pricing so they can also support local acts etc..

pity there wasn't similar in Ireland.

http://www.thecoalitionuk.co.uk/

This is frankly a disaster, not just for independent Irish bands and labels, but for the very people who frequent these boards, go to the same gigs we do, and dig the same music.

I remember first hearing about Road in my leaving cert year (I think they had just opened) and sent me sister in search of it when she was in Dublin for a day. It took her a few hours to find it by all accounts (us culchies don't carry a compass) but she got what I needed from there with a smile.

Whenever I made a visit to the big smoke, I'd always try and make it my business to make a stop at Road.

The help and support they showed OOAL in the past five and and a half years has been fantastic, and this is a sad day for the country.

I had a terrible night's sleep last night. I woke up to go to the jacks and though I was having a dream that Road was closing. Then I woke up again.

Is it at all possible that we can stop this?

Probaby stupidly naive, I'm aware of operating costs and all that malarky. Fuck this, fuck this epoch, and fuck all us thieving cunts who won't pay for our cultural wares. We're robbing ourselves essentially.

That was my first reaction too. It was only yesterday Vinnie started the thread about Road being in trouble, and call me stupid, but that was the first I'd heard of it. Not that I assumed they'd be better off than anyone else during this recession, but it just brought it to mind.

Since then the website has been down, and unless people have been in town we haven't really gotten a chance to buy stuff off them.

Can't we try something like they did with Bewleys? I take the points made, but surely costs are going down? Rents and that? What kind of losses are we talking about here? Huge losses?

I bought most of my Road purchases online as I'm not in town that much during their opening hours. Thus I never fell into that 'browser' category where I'd have been able to go in and discover new stuff there (as Unicron mentioned).

What is the plan then? When are the doors closing for good? We at least need to get in there and buy up everything we can to give Dave and Julie some money to see them through to whatever it is they do next.

Its a huge, huge blow though. Road wasn't nice to have. Road was needed.

And the most shocking thing about the Road post was about bands not buying stuff when coming in with their own stock. I can almost guess who some of them were. Bad bad form.

If theres anything can be done, please let us know. If its too late at this point, well then let us know the plan for whatever is going to happen between now and closing cos I for one will be in there buying whatever the hell I can.

Its a sad day for sure.

sorry to hear this. Road has been integral to the Irish independent scene for over a decade. Best of luck with future endeavours.

Hopefully the remaining independent shops such as City Discs, Spin Dizzy and All City don't go the same route.

I'm so sad to hear this.As pointed out above, this shop was needed.My sincerest best wishes to Dave & Julie with whatever happens next to them.In addition to picking up plenty of gems record wise, the one thing I always really appreciated was their efforts to track down certain records for me..plus I'll miss having someone to shite on to about Harvey Milk.Think I may head in later today to pick some stuff up with what little cash post-Xmas I have left

This is awful news. I no longer live in Dublin but when I did Road Records was always my first port of call in town. Whenever I come home I would always make a beeline for it aswell. Dave and Julie are the most incredible people and I wish you both all the best in whatever you do next. I've no doubt it will be brilliant.

bad news :(
thanks for talking the time to explain the circumstances well, hopefully will make people think (i know it did for me) about the consequences of not supporting local indie rec shops.
all the best for the future.

I don't think there is one Dublin music enthusiast from my generation that wasn't touched by your hard work over the past eleven years. Well done, you guys played a blinder. Maximum respect!

Best of luck for the future and congratulations on the new arrival.

thanks for you soundness over the years guys, both as a maker of racket and a music buyer. bought and was recomended some great stuff in your shop over the years. Dublin will be a shitter place without yis.

What horrible news to awake to. While I can't claim to have supported the shop personally, when I was working and looking for a nice record there was only one place to go. Good luck to Dave and Juie with whatever they turn their hand to.

Thanks for providing an absolutely crucial service over the years. Road will have to be replaced in some way, or the city will be slightly poorer and we shouldn't allow the place to get slightly poorer all the time. As a musician, it's particularly bad news, and we all know it will be harder now to have independent releases easily available to people in Dublin.

I'm feeling bad at the moment because I left my album in there and didn't buy anything and I hope I didn't seem like those other pricks. But I have bought a lot CDs there, both in the shop and through online order. Just not that time.

Sad, sad news.

Dublin has lost one of its most important cultural sites.

This is a disaster.

Best wishes to Dave and Julie and baby in the future.

You will be sorely missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back